Skip to content

Choosing a party member

Hey guys! I'm doing a new run and I'm having trouble figuring out which characters to use in my party.
My protagonist is a female human Ranger (Stalker). I know I want Haer'Dalis (because I like him) and Aerie (because of their romance). I also want Hexxat, to romance my protagonist. That leaves me with two empty positions. I'm currently using Anomen and Minsc, but I want to drop them - Minsc because he is yet another Ranger and Anomen because he is a pain in the ass.

I might keep Minsc, I don't know, Aerie is his witch after all. But Anomen has got to go.

So who should I replace them with? Who would give me better banters with the party members I'm keeping?

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    You can't have Anomen and Hexxat in the same party, but that's okay because you're already planning to drop Anomen.

However, I seem to recall that Aerie and Hexxat are also incompatible eventually (although they'll co-operate for quite a while before falling out). Maybe you ought to consider Jan or Yoshimo->Imoen for the Thief role instead. Or if you're dead-set (:smiley:) on the improbable romance between a Ranger and a vampire, then I reckon you'll want to take Viconia as Cleric and go the Evil route.

With a Ranger protagonist, I agree with replacing Minsc by some other class. If you're going with the Good guys (which seems most natural for a Ranger), then ruling out Anomen leaves you Rasaad as your romance option (and no girl-girl option), and also Jaheira offers both melee and secondary divine casting. If you're going with the Evil guys (in spite of being a Ranger), then Hexxat is your preferred romance choice, and Edwin is the obvious Mage, but now you're going to need someone really solid as point-man, so Korgan suggests himself.

Thus I'd probably take (in party order) either

1) Jaheira, Rasaad(R), Protagonist, Haer'Dalis, Aerie, Yoshimo->Imoen; or

2) Korgan, Protagonist, Haer'Dalis, Viconia, Hexxat(R), Edwin.

If having a romance option in the Good team isn't an important factor, then I'd perhaps take Mazzy or Keldorn instead of Rasaad. (But don't underestimate Rasaad, he becomes a very good front-liner in BG2.)
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/bg2_npc_banters.php to see some dialog counts for the different NPC combos. It doesn't include the EE NPCs, unfortunately, but it's still a useful resource that I keep coming back to when I'm in the same boat.

Unfortunately, Haer Dalis isn't super chatty, so other than Aerie there aren't a lot of interesting options with him in particular. Looks like Jaheira might be a decent option, though, or Viconia.
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    I'm pretty sure I'm taking Rasaad now. When I get to ToB, Sarevok will fill in for Minsc, but until then I'm not sure.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Go with fewer characters to power level more then steamroll everything.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Wesboi said:

Unnecessary. Power-levelling is a cheesey tactic for beginners who don't really know how to use their party, so doing it is an admission of incompetence. With a balanced full party (in the standard game, or something not too dissimilar), a competent player can steamroll everything without any power-levelling.
    I very rarely run with more than 3 as it becomes more micro management than I can be bothered with personally but that's just me. Did a run of 3 warriors one of each kit that just got silly in the end.

Wesboi said:

Unnecessary. Power-levelling is a cheesey tactic for beginners who don't really know how to use their party, so doing it is an admission of incompetence. With a balanced full party (in the standard game, or something not too dissimilar), a competent player can steamroll everything without any power-levelling.
    Nothing to do with being a beginner or not after multiple runs from start to finish you get fed up of the npcs after a while or at least I have. So that's why some people run solo or with strange setups, obviously some people like full party's for the full interactions.

The story side of the game doesn't interest me anymore I'm more into the theory crafting side. Thinking of running 3 original rogue kits on a run soon.