Skip to content

Quick Save and Auto Save missing?

Ossie1972Ossie1972 Member Posts: 14
edited January 2017 in Troubleshooting
I've played through to about Chapter 6, first issue of this type. I have many hard saves as well as making liberal use of the Quick Save and Auto Save options. I recently re-entered Lower Dorn's Deep after a return to town, met the animated suit of armour again, went aggro, realised I hadn't stocked up on missile ammo, went to reload the Auto Save.........and it's missing. As is the Quick Save. Just no longer in the list of save games. Even weirder, the Resume Game option is ghosted - it presumably knows that the last save was an Auto Save (and before that a Quick Save), and because those saves no longer appear to exist, there's no option. The only way to play is by going into Single Player and selecting Load Game from there - and the only options are hard saves. It's like the Quick Save and the Auto Save - and only those specific saves - have just been spontaneously and simultaneously deleted.

Any ideas?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what version of IWD do you have? I don't have a resume game option ( like the BGs do) are you playing some sort of modded version?
  • Ossie1972Ossie1972 Member Posts: 14
    It's IWDEE straight out of the jewel case, version 1.4. I can't speak for the options in previous versions or the vanilla (non-EE) edition, but "Resume Game" has always been there since installation.

In any event, you can always go to Load Game and select the Quick Save or Auto Save from there anyway, and both saves have also disappeared from that list
    oh, my bad, I thought for sure I didn't have a resume game option for my game, because I also have 1.4 IWDEE but I just found it

did you happen to have a game crash while in the middle of saving a quick save or autosave? or even a PC crash? sometimes when your game/PC crashes near the time when you save the game, the game saves get corrupted and then they might delete themselves
    Possibly. The PC did crash (probably after the last hard save but can't remember), but I'd played on significantly (stupid, I know) since then using at least the Quick Save. And I'd changes maps frequently so I had a reasonably up to date Auto Save following me - one of the reasons I didn't bother with a hard save for that part.

So I was playing a Quick Save that had been going for some time after the crash, and there should have been an Auto Save that had been triggered multiple times well after the crash. In fact, the Auto Save would have triggered just before I found the problem. I entered the new map, realised I needed to go back to restock ammo, went to the save menu & couldn't find the Quick Save & Auto Save. And then couldn't get back to where I was in the game, because Resume Game was ghosted.

I guess it's possible that the Quick Save & Auto Dave became corrupted with the crash but the game continued on - just not being able to save after that point
    sarevok57
    do you have a PC with windows? because windows uses your documents folder to save your games, have you been fiddling with your "my documents" folder recently?
    sarevok57 said:

do you have a PC with windows? because windows uses your documents folder to save your games, have you been fiddling with your "my documents" folder recently?

Nope. Absolutely no change to the save path, game settings, PC settings or anything else. In fact, I can't even remember if the PC crash *did* happen after the past hard save. All I know is that I played on for a while using only Quick Save (and Auto Save), eventually wanted to go back and reload the last Quick Save, and found that I couldn't because it wasn't in the load screen list. Neither was the Auto Save. And then, once I'd left the game screen to try to load, found I couldn't get back to it because Resume Game was now ghosted. If I could, maybe I could have hard saved at that point and not lost all the time.

But the saves were still lost. Yes, there was a crash in there *somewhere*. But I had restarted the PC after the crash, reloaded the game, and then played significantly (possibly using only Quick Save and Auto Save) until I discovered the problem. So the crash may well have ruined the Quick Save and Auto Save. But I had definitely saved over both - several times - after the crash happened
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I just wanted to add that the very same thing happened to me a few weeks back in HoW. The quick save was just gone for no apparent reason. Same version of the game as you. No crashes and no fiddling with save files for me.

It didn't really bother me since my latest save at the time was a hard save. And it has worked perfectly since then. A bit of a mystery.
    sarevok57