Skip to content

Collector's Edition of Baldur's Gate 2 with wooden box and dagger

modronmodron Member Posts: 13
Dear fellow Baldur's Gate players,

I was 14 years old, when Baldur's Gate 2 was released. I can remember that I preordered the Collector's Edition of the game (saved my allowance for that). It should have come in a wooden box including a dagger and more. Eventually, the game became available, but the Collector's Edition was pushed back (similar to the SoD CE these days :) ) Few months later, I was informed by the retailer that the wooden box edition was canceled and that there will be a "normal" cardboard box CE. Ok.

Years later I found the following picture on the internet when I was googling for information about this story, but I do not know anymore where I found it:

Is it fake, did this person made the box by himself?

I just remembered all this when the Beamdog newsletter about the SoD CE arrived today. So I googled again and still I just can't find any information about an actually produced wooden box BG2 CE.

The only information I can find are from gameswelt.de and bg2.de. There were news that the BG2 CE would include the following items:

- exclusive handmade wooden box with a burnt in BG2 logo
- BG2 tin dagger
- the game on 4 discs
- reference card
- manual
- Icewind Dale demo disc
- limited BG2 postal cards
- Black Isle book
- BG2 trading cards
- CD with addon characters and further pictures and music of the game

So: does anyone know more about this? Does anybody own the wooden box edition that is shown on the picture? If yes, please make some more photos and post it here :)

Greets from Germany

PS: screenshot of the translated news:

Comments

• modronmodron Member Posts: 13
    Haha, unbelievable. Finally, after 17 years! This must have been a exclusive to Spain limited release. Man, I would love to have that wooden box...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Now, THAT'S a Collectors Edition to my liking. Just look on that all purpose tin dagger! It's purrfect for a Child of Murder! <3
    All it's missing is the BG2:SoA T-shirt which was sold in Europe 15 years ago!
  • modronmodron Member Posts: 13
    I had the shirt a long time ago, even wore it in sports class. Nobody knew about the game of course.. :D It was quickly worn out and I threw it away. Not the smartest thing, but I was still young ^^
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    @modron It looked to me like the back of a collector's edition was cut out and glued to the back of the box. The DVD box sets seem like they were purchased online. Looks really cool though.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If the dagger was a bit more bone-ivory like it would have been perfect!
    Bone daggers are in Bhaal dreams and in some ToB boss battles.