Skip to content

A Few Questions Regarding EE Companions

Hello all, I've been going through BG2 EE (first time, enhanced edition or otherwise) and I ran into an issue in the course of that run where I discovered Hexxat cannot be recruited following Chapter 2. Which, given I am a consummate completionist, necessitated my reloading of the game to Chapter 2 from Chapter 6 (I'm on iPad, so no easy fixes via console).

Before I launch back into the game, I just wanted to make sure of a few things so as I don't run into another issue like this:

1) Regarding the other companions, is it fine to defer their quests to Chapter 6? I like to save DLC or EE content for later in games. Likewise, since I suspect the EE companions will have something to say regarding the events of Chapters 3-5 (and since I plan on using base-game companions for my core party for my first playthrough), it makes sense to pick them up then rather than do their quests in Chapter 2, drop them off, then recruit them again in Chapter 6.

2) While doing some preliminary testing of the above by loading up my old Chapter 6 save and recruiting the EE companions (which, thus far, seems to suggest it's okay to defer Neera, Dorn, and Rasaad), I noticed a peculiarity: Dorn immediately reacted to my Underdark adventure (specifically the liaison with a certain Drow Priestess) and accused me of "Betrayal". Is that supposed to happen? I mean, I'm not romancing him (and, in any case, I didn't sleep with the Priestess), so I'm curious if that line fires no matter what.

Furthermore, just because I'm paranoid, I don't have to worry about the game all of a sudden thinking I'm romancing Dorn because of that dialogue firing, right?

3) A second question regarding Dorn is that part in his quest when he wants you to talk to a certain Priest of Helm, the same one tied to the Sarles and Dawn Ring quests for Neutral characters. I'm able to talk Dorn out of "ensuring his silence" but I just wanted to make sure that, should I do Dorn's quest before those two quests (which I am again delaying for Chapter 6 for when I have my final party composition) and keep Telwyn alive, it doesn't bug out those quests. Again, what testing I've done so far seems to suggest it doesn't (talking to Telwyn again gives the usual line about finding Sarles), but since I'd have to run through both of those quests completely to be sure I'd just like to see if I can get confirmation here.

Thanks!

Comments

• SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Unfortunately, I have no insight with regards to anything Dorn related, as I've yet to do a playthrough with him in my party, but I can say with relative certainty that Rasaad's quest can be put off and I'm pretty sure Neera's can as well.

The Dorn line may have accidentally fired. That sort of thing has been known to happen, although, as I said before, I can't be certain for this due to lack of experience with his character in particular.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. @winters might know more about Dorn things.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    You called? :blush:

I won't be very helpful I'm afraid, it's been awhile since I played BG2EE, but, sadly, Dorn's quests are terribly bugged. He tends to chime in unasked, questline gets disrupted by events that seem random, the thing with him yelling at my unromanced character about Phaere happened to me too.

As for Helmites thing, if i remember properly, I managed to start the quests in both orders that you described, but then I got another bug that prevented me from turning in the ring quest, I can't recall in which case though.

But. It all happened not long after BG2EE was first released, so it's quite possible that all of those were dealt with. I will be replaying it soon, and with Dorn in my party of course, so I will try to pay extra attention.
  • Scito_OptionemScito_Optionem Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Winters and Svar for your posts; I've done a bit of further testing and, from my old save, was able to determine Dorn's recruitment and quest can be deferred without issue until Chapter 6.

I also have run through and completed both Temple quests (Sarles+Ring) after sparing Telwyn in the manner I described. For my actual run, I have decided to do Dorn and Hexxat together before starting Chapter 3, so I'm hoping (once I get through Chapters 3-5) that this will still hold true for when I do the aforementioned temple quests in Chapter 6.

I'll try and keep everyone apprised of how things shake out.
  • Scito_OptionemScito_Optionem Member Posts: 3
    Alright, I finally managed to get around to finishing off Dorn and Hexxat's quests in SoA. I've noted a couple of other things:

First, if you decide to go with Hexxat to meet Cabrina at the end of her quest line, it appears that, upon kicking her from the party, she will force dialogue as if you had not gone with her to the meeting. The only effect of this appears to be a quasi-duplication of the final Journal Entry for her quest and afterwards she can be kicked normally.

Second, unlike in BGEE, when accepting Dorn into your party it does not incur a -2 Rep effect that is removed upon him leaving the party, rather, it gives you a single -1 Rep when first accepting him which will not be removed upon kicking him out. In total, this means that the minimum possible Rep loss for Dorn's quest in SoA is -2 (-1 from first accepting him, -1 from dealing with Terpfen).

Hopefully, once I've gone through Chapters 3-5, I will still be able to do the Temple Quests as I was before when I did both them and Dorn's quest in Chapter 6. If anything comes up when doing Rasaad and Neera later, I'll also note it here.