Skip to content

It's 2017.. is there a solution to transfer games from old iPad to new?

I've been looking for information on this topic for a while, but the only thing I can find is from several years ago. Even as much as 5 years ago.

I played BG:EE and BG2:EE on an older iPad back when those games first came out. But I cannot find a way to transfer my save games and custom portraits to a newer, more modern iPad. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

All I can find are solutions talking about using iFunbox, etc. But those ideas are out dated.

Help?
Thank you!

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2017
    BG:EE: on the old iPad, load the game you want to transfer and long-tap the Quick Save button. Now you get the option to send it via email, so email it to yourself, then open it on your new iPad. When prompted, select to open with BG:EE ; the game will launch, and you’ll see your files reflected in-game.

Regarding Custom Portraits: you simply repeat the process on the new iPad: so, once you have the bmp file, zip it, change its extension to .bg1portrait (or .bg2portrait), email it to yourself and open it with BG:EE ( or BG2:EE). In so doing, you will be able to get the in-game option for Custom Portraits.

NOTE 1: I think it is impossible right now to transfer BG2:EE saves from an old iOS device to a newer one (the long-tapping method works only for BG:EE :/ ........)

NOTE 2: the extension .bg2portrait also works for IWD:EE. This means you need to use this extension if you're interested in importing custom portraits to IWD:EE ( the extension .iwdportrait does not work, it is probably a bug.......).

NOTE 3: it is probably possible to migrate custom sound sets using the extension .bg1sound, but I have never tried so I don't know......

NOTE 4: a HUGE update is expected to arrive on iOS; this will probably make transferring files easier.....
  • backdragonbackdragon Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for all this info. The BG1 file transfer worked perfectly.

Alas, the BG2 transfer did not work, just like you suggested. And, of course, that's the game I really wanted, cause I never finished it. Lol. Hopefully the upcoming iOS update will address it.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited February 2017
    Have you tried synching the older iPad to a computer, then synching the new one to that computer? You might have to load the last save of the old device. I know this works for files, etc, when I got a new iPhone, so,I would imagine it works for the iPad as well