Skip to content

Does SCS make mages too hard to kill?

unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
edited February 2017 in BGII:EE Mods
I find spells such as breach, ruby ray, warding whip and pierce magic to be inconsistent at best, and it really made me rethink the order in who to attack first and when and how. Most of the lower level mages are easily dealt with the standard ways involving lots of melee and maybe a breach. But then there are the medium difficulty and higher who take a very long time to make vulnerable, and I don't really know any other way of dealing with it than distracting them with animate dead while I handle the warriors and priests by stabbing them to death or dominating them. I try starting fights by hitting the mage with poison from darts or arrows or insects and sometimes they work, but it changes nothing. I distract with animate dead so I can kill them last and the mages fighters and priests first.

Comments

• Raven999Raven999 Member Posts: 20

I find spells such as breach, ruby ray, warding whip and pierce magic to be inconsistent at best, and it really made me rethink the order in who to attack first and when and how.

Hi there,
    Since no one replied yet, I thought I'd jump in and give you my two cents.

As you know, there are different strategies for dealing with enemy mages, depending on their level and on that or your own mages/sorcerers as well.

I do need to say though, that there isn't any inconsistency with the spells you mentioned above.

Whether or not they work on a mage, depends on the protections the mage already has on him.

The spells do exactly what they were meant to do.
    So it's just a question of learning the spell mechanics and how to counter the enemy mage's moves correctly.

One of the reason why you may be having mixed success with these protection removal spells is that you're not using the correct ones to remove the right protections.

Enemy mages love to shield themselves with Spell Shield.
    The spell is designed to eat up any protection removal spells thrown at them.

Let's say the enemy mage protects himself with Spell Shield and a bunch of other stuff.
    You decide to cast a Breach or a Ruby Ray of Reversal on him.
    You launch your spell, hoping to remove either his combat protections or spell protections, only to have your spell eaten up by his Spell Shield, leaving all his protections perfectly intact.

The more powerful mages like to cast Spell Shield on top of their Spell Traps.
    Spell Shield blocks pretty much everything, including Spellstrike!

Once you get past the shield, you'll need to deal with the Spell Trap (which is a highly resilient spell protection).
    Pierce Magic and Khelben's Warding Whip won't even make a dent in the Trap.
    The only three spells that can take it down are Ruby Ray of Reversal, Pierce Shield and Spellstrike.

If you're low on arcane spell casters or only have one mage in your team, I'd suggest memorizing a few Project Images or Simulacrums to help combat enemy mages. Project Image is potentially the strongest spell in the game, especially against enemy mages. Just be sure to protect your clones with Spell Immunity: Divination, 'cause most smart enemies will recognise the illusions and try to dispel them.

Hopefully this helps.
    Cheers!

HudzybrunardoThacoBell
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    you have some great intel @Raven999 and my thanks!
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Thematically speaking it can feel like a slight problem when mages are always the last to die, and hang around for a little too long when it's clearly in their best interests to teleport/ sneak away. (One thinks of the flavourful way in which Bernard Risling escapes. If more adversaries sought to negotiate / flee when overmatched then the game would be slightly improved in my opinion...)