Skip to content

Friendships for non-romanceable characters

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Like the title says, friendship talks and quests with party members who won't romance the PC or who get turned down early and nicely. Right now, I have no idea if Rasaad's "new playable adventure" or Neera and Dorn's "four hours of additional gameplay" assume a romance or not, but if they use the BG2 romances as a model, I fear the answer is yes. This means I will get almost nothing out of the new characters because I can't romance any of them. Players who are just not interested in romance or romance with a particular character also share this predicament. Adding friendship paths would improve replay value and substantially flesh out the new characters for many people.

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    yes thats the best option for NOT-to-romance-a-NPC i heard for a long time. So +1!!!
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    This sounds like a great idea. You can only have one romance going at a time, but you can have many friendships.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    Yes please!
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Friendship paths would be great. I understand that certain characters are only really willing to "open up" to their lovers, but they could at least open up a little more (than in vanilla) to their chums. :P
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Or how about adding romance, friendship and bromance? I wanna fist-bump Minsc dammit!!! XD

At least if they added friendship pathways, there'd be more material to go on if modders wanted to add a romance later.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012

At least if they added friendship pathways, there'd be more material to go on if modders wanted to add a romance later.

That's a very good point.

From a dev perspective, friendships between all NPCs except mortal enemies can work independently of each other, so they won't have to write and test anywhere near the number of conflicts for they'd need for a romance. Even mortal enemies might get away with no special conflict talks if they naturally eliminate each other pretty quickly through mutually opposed quests or by coming to blows over severe alignment differences, i.e. how they are shown to be mortal enemies in the first place!
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I'm too busy slaughtering enemies to develop any sort of romance. Romance just slows you down when you're a Bhaal spawn looking to annihilate your competitors.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I personally would love friendship paths if a Romance is deemed implausible, or if a Romance is not activated. I love chatting with the NPC's, so any sort of interaction with them is a big plus in my world!
  • iurkoiurko Member Posts: 4
    I once installed a Kivan mod for BG2 that was based on the mechanics of a romance, but it was a close non-romantic friendship with the PC. Kivan had cool reactions if the PC was male and an elf as well.