Skip to content

morale!

IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
can anyone give any insight into how morale works in game? for example the manual states that a higher charisma on the party leader helps the morale of your party, however it fails to go into any further detail.

Comments

• ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    I believe it decides how long good characters will tolerate evils ones and vice versa.

Also I think it effects how low your reputation can go before lawful characters leave you.
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    ahh ok. I'd always just guessed that it kept your party from running away in battle. there are a lot of thing the manual that are ambiguous like this
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

ahh ok. I'd always just guessed that it kept your party from running away in battle. there are a lot of thing the manual that are ambiguous like this

Well, maybe it does, and I believe it might be meant that way, but I know of no proof of that theory.
    I'm sure someone knows somewhere lol. also how do you determine how brave your party members are? it may just be case of getting a feel for each party member as you play
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Running away in battle isn't a thing in BG.

There are spells like that disorientates your character, like mind control and fear spells.

Wizards have higher resistance towards spells in general, same with monks.. so the spells won't works as often/effective on them as with other classes.
    edited September 2012

I'm sure someone knows somewhere lol. also how do you determine how brave your party members are? it may just be case of getting a feel for each party member as you play

What do you mean Brave?

Party members don't flee from battle unless they reach 0HP when they're not meant to die.
    I mean that some characters tend to lose there nerve and become uncontrollable more than others. for example Khalid I've noticed his ring will turn yellow quite often
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see a charismatic Charname take care of Khalid's habits xD

Anyway... how can Jaheira like someone so coward? :1
    Necdilzor said:

I'd like to see a charismatic Charname take care of Khalid's habits xD

ha ha, Make a side-quest that's a parody of the King's Speech :)
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Zinodin said:

Running away in battle isn't a thing in BG.

There are spells like that disorientates your character, like mind control and fear spells.

Wizards have higher resistance towards spells in general, same with monks.. so the spells won't works as often/effective on them as with other classes.

It definitely is. Perhaps you've always played high CHA characters...
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Baldur's Gate is overall an accurate translation of the AD&D second edition rules into a computer game engine. With only a few notable exceptions the rules are implemented as written. With that said, morale was most definitely implemented into the Baldur's Gate engine.

Party members occasionally will fail their morale checks, often due to massive damage or an apparently impossible fight. Morale failure is more frequently seen in cowardly characters (Khalid for instance) and low level enemies (Kobolds, Bandits etc.).

The effect is rarely noticed in BG 2 however as morale is based partially on Hit Dice, and a high level party is practically immune to non-magical fear.
    ok I did a bit of detective work and found this snippet of info
    Q: Will morale effects be included in the game?
    A: Monsters and NPCs (even those in your party) will suffer and benefit from morale related decisions. Everyone engaged in combat will periodically do a morale check, with failure or success based on how well or badly the fight is going. This involves how much you are outnumbered or how much you outnumber your opponents, whether you have taken or given damage, if comrades of yours have been hurt or killed, etc. The only people immune to this check are PCs, because it is assumed they are bright enough to get out of harm's way if they're not doing so well. However, the NPCs in the party may have other ideas if you insist on fighting a lost cause. Although..there are some characters that might see retreat as a sign of weakness.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    @Icallhimlecobra

Where did you find this juicy bit of information?!

I've never noticed NPCs like Ajantis or Shar-Teel flee from battle. To be honest, the only BG1 NPC I can remember fleeing is Khalid, with his "better part of valour".
    I do vividly remember BG2 NPCs fleeing in battle more than often though.

@Icallhimlecobra

I've never noticed NPCs like Ajantis or Shar-Teel flee from battle. To be honest, the only BG1 NPC I can remember fleeing is Khalid, with his "better part of valour".

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/faq.php

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012

@Icallhimlecobra

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/faq.php

This is interesting:
    Q: Will I be able to tell other characters' alignments?
    A: Alignment will not be stored on the character sheet - you have to figure it out. Remember that casting "know alignment" is mentioned in the rules as potentially offensive to many NPCs - they might not like it too much... You know your main character's alignment, but no one else's.

Would have been a nice feature!

Edit: also this:
    Q: What is the maximum level in the game?
    A: You will be able to reach somewhere between 6th and 7th level depending on which class you choose to play. There is a limit to the amount of Experience Points (XP) that you can attain in the game, but the add-on packs will raise the XP limit to allow for an additional level or two. Sequels will allow you to continue the adventure and gain more levels - about 6 per sequel. Currently we're planning at least two sequels.

6 levels per sequel? looool that went out the window

And this:
    Q: Will Druids be able to Shapechange into animals?
    A: Yes. At 7th level, Druids will be able to Shapechange into any animal available in that area (with the exception of birds).

That also sounds awesome! Shapechange into a squirrel yus please

This should also have been implemented:
    Q: What happens when a party member dies?
    A: When a party member (other than the leader) dies or falls unconscious, the character's body is placed into the party inventory. The body can then be transported to a place of healing (like a temple etc.). Your main character could conceivably end up carrying 5 bodies if he/she was the lone survivor of a battle (not a very pleasant task).

Dammit, they also included the unconscious at 0 to -9 rule rather than the dead or not dead rule the game currently uses.