Skip to content

Liia Jannath neurasthenic behavior

Well, I'd like to ask about the weird behavior of Liia Jannath during the Ducal Palace fight. I know that she's a high level mage (for BG1, anyway), but she doesn't do anything during the fight. She just stay there, waiting for death to come... Well, in SCS anyway, because I haven't played vanilla in forever. Is that suppose to be normal ? Is her script broken or is it intended to make the fight more difficult ?

People who are solo no-reloading the game have a good chance of getting stuck here, only because of the randomness of the fight : dopplegangers, if they decide to do so, can ignore you to attack the dukes and take them out fast. It's even worst with LoB. If Liia would at least put on some magic defences (mirror image, stoneskin, etc...), she would have a much better chance at survival. If she's not broken, I think it's a bad design for a fight this close to the end, because you can fail it without having done anything wrong.

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I think I had her die on my last playthrough (after Sarevok turned hostile and turning over evidence) and it did cause me to lead the game. Was this always the case if she dies after the evidence turnover?
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I think you lose if Belt dies. Maybe you need to have at least one survivor but since Liia Jannath always dies first for me the battle boils down to protecting Belt no matter what.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    It's right that you win if either Belt or Liia survive. In the original game it was far more likely that Belt would survive as he has more HPs and a better AC, but it was possible for Liia to survive alone.

Liia's script has always been sub-optimal to put it mildly. In the original game (or indeed EE) her standard behavior is to just attack in melee without doing any buffs. I assumed that the reason for setting her up like that originally was due to the relatively poor AI available for mages. If she had been free to use spells for instance a likely outcome would be that she would kill both Belt and herself with a bouncing lightning bolt - which would have been an annoying way to lose the game :s.

I don't really understand why she doesn't at least use defensive buffs in BGEE though, now that AI has been developed to be able to be much more discriminating. To my mind this unbalances the game - there is a massively greater chance of being killed at the palace than in any other fight in BGEE where you've used reasonable tactics (though that's from the perspective of usually playing solo - with a party your chances are far better).

Surviving at the palace is very specific to the particular installation you play with, e.g.
    - in BGT Belt had considerably greater HPs, which meant you would normally (though not always) win with decent tactics.
    - in vanilla you could use Otiluke's to protect one of the dukes to pretty much ensure a victory (that is counted as an attack on them in BGEE).
    - with SCS installed in BGEE Liia's script is changed further. Denied the ability to use the spells she wants she just stands there (meaning you can make her invisible and she won't reveal herself by attacking).
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited March 2017
    Grond0 said:

- with SCS installed in BGEE Liia's script is changed further. Denied the ability to use the spells she wants she just stands there (meaning you can make her invisible and she won't reveal herself by attacking).

And, as you know, that's quite a problem for a solo run with a class that cannot cast invisibility...

I think that, if she would at least use some defensive buffs, it would make the fight more managable for a wider range of classes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SCS version 31 is supposed to be in the work. Any chance that issue would be addressed one way or another ?