Skip to content

To LoB mode or not..?

Hi guys,

so I want to play through the full game, starting in BG:EE at Level 1 and right now I'm torn between choosing either LoB (including the 100% extra damage enabled, I think LoB forces it to be enabled but i could be wrong) or Insane difficulty without the extra damage.

Usually I'm the kind of player that goes for the highest, or near-highest difficulty setting in games (as long as these settings are within the realm of the reasonable) so to 1: make it last longer and 2: get a sense of accomplishment out of it, so I'm leaning towards LoB. B)

However, after having watched some videos of LoB playthroughs or at least attempted playthroughs, I'm not too sure to be honest. Basically all these playthroughs boiled down to: bows for everyone, whole inventory minus 2-3 slots loaded with arrows, one designated kiter you stack your good AC stuff on so he might survive a hit when you mess up clicking, and then single out a mob and kite it around your range camp for 3 minutes until it's dead and repeat with the next. Pull too much > reload, run into archer group > reload and every spellcasting enemy becomes a pure trial and error show too. I watched a guy playing through nashkell mines and it took him like 2 hrs 30 to clear out 4 goblin packs.

Also, I like the idea of playing this game in a roleplaying way, so i like to have a tank, a spellcaster, an archer, a melee fighter and so on, but I got the impression that it is basically impossible to tank or engage enemies in melee on LoB because even with something like -5 AC on a tank a simple basic enemy has a very reasonable chance of hitting and oneshotting you.

I *really* want to play through it on LoB but on the other hand I also don't want to waste hours and hours into a playthrough that will turn into a ridiculous kiting mini-game and ultimately be abandoned, seeing as you can't back out of LoB once you started a game with it.

I'm open to all your suggestions and feedback. :)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well to be honest, I have LoB to be a very boring mode,

and yeah, basically to win, that is one way to do it, kite enemies and use range

the problem with LoB mode is that the bg series was never made to have it, ( it is something that IWD had and beamdog just took IWD's HoF mode and brought it to BG)

if you start BG at level 1 playing LoB mode, its going to be very frustrating, and to be honest, its kind of immersion breaking to, its very unrealistic and I didn't find it all that fun when I played it

what I did when I played it, I took my level 7 team that I beat the game with and imported them to the beginning at candlekeep, and even then, the game was still tedious, but I learned something, the best spell on LoB mode: invisibility 10' radius, that spell is a must, so then you can stealth pass all the low end baddies ( which there are tons of in BG) the give garbage XP and take way too long to take down

I've only ever done it once, and I will only ever do it once, now this is my opinion of coarse, so you can take that with as much salt as you wish, but as I said, the BG series isn't really made for such a mode, and it doesn't implement that well

it implements much better in IWD because was made for that mode basically, since IWD is much more of a dungeon crawler than BG is

but, if you still want to try it, then by all means go for it, try and go all the way, and see if you can manage to beat the game on that mode, maybe you will like it, maybe you will hate it, but best part is, the BG series is a game that you can play multiple times and still get a new experience out of it

although what I would suggest, if you are thinking about playing LoB mode, and eventually go back done to insane difficulty I would recommend keeping the double damage on ( because basically that is all that insane does for BG at least)

that double damage from enemies really changes the tactics on how you do things, and makes it so you can't be so careless all the time, and even though you might die a lot at lower levels, I still find it a better way to play than not having the double damage
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    i too did try to make a completionist run lvl 1 with LoB... after slapping down rats with 90 hits at a time and getting mauled by A SINGLE KOBOLD.... after 5 hours of frustration not enjoying the game what so ever i settled to make 4 elf archer clones ... 1 mage/thief and a fighter cleric ... give them the best EE keeper gear 50 scrolls of haste and invis 10 and bum-rush the mode with minimal combat in an hour... never looked back on it again.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I have never tried LoB but this thread is convincing me to go SCS + insane instead
  • gismorumgismorum Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the comments guys, after messing around some I settled for LoB without the bonus damage Insane adds and I think it hit the sweet spot for me.

Bonus damage got me random oneshots out of nowhere and I came to the conclusion that it really didn't add any depth let alone fun as far as I am concerned, but I like that the enemies - especially casters - are not complete HP pushovers and will have a real chance to use their whole toolkit.