Skip to content

Taerom Fuirium and Ankheg Shells

BoogeymanBoogeyman Member Posts: 5
Didn't notice this being mentioned yet. In BG1 you can sell a ankhed shell to TF for 500gp or make it into an armor for 4,000gp.

However, should you wait more than 10 days after first showing the shell to TF it will rot and you can no longer do neither. Even aquiring a new shell that is fresh will no longer be acceptable by him.

I propose that this is changed so that should you get a new, fresh, shell he will agree to buy it or convert it into armor.
WinthalsmeagolheartAndreaColombotenaElectricMonkGrammarsaladnooberBhryaenDarKelPRnRClown

Comments

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Makes sense to me :)

"I can make whatever ye wish for a wee little bit more than me competition."
    Metalloman
  • TiggrrTiggrr Member Posts: 25
    While we're talking anhkheg armour, why does anhkheg armour count as magical for the purposes of getting defensive bonuses for magic items like rings of protection?
    tenanoober
    @Tiggrr hmm, maybe Ankhegs count as magical creatures? Anyone with a 2:nd Ed monster manual handy?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    10 days is way too long too considering the upgrade times of Cespenar and Cromwell for items.
  • BoogeymanBoogeyman Member Posts: 5
    IMO it counts as magical because if not, it would be too powerful.

10 days is just fine since it is an armor that you will be using for the rest of the game. And the game lasts long enough for 10 days to pass easily by.
    NocturneN
    10 days is way too long too considering the upgrade times of Cespenar and Cromwell for items.
    @smeagolheart Comparing poor Taerom with those two ain't exactly fair tho... Cespenar is a magical entity (Bhaals personal butler) who wields tremendous power, he probably just doesn't know it...! And Cromwell is a dwarven master smith who only deals in rare personal commissioned work... (almost exclusively enchanted stuff) Taerom on the other hand, while a competent smith in his own right, is just an ordinary working man. It makes sense to me that it takes him and his apprentices 10 days to piece together a new suit of armor.

BoogeymanElectricMonk
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    While on the subject of Taerom Fuirium, I remember a oddity that was consistent even in my fix heavy installations: that it would often take much, much longer than 10 days for it to be ready. Has anyone experience anything similar or should I count this as a singular thing?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    While on the subject of Taerom Fuirium, I remember a oddity that was consistent even in my fix heavy installations: that it would often take much, much longer than 10 days for it to be ready. Has anyone experience anything similar or should I count this as a singular thing?
    I just tried it played and it took 10 days. More precisely, I ctrl-T ed 10 days over and then was able to get the armor.

• NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    edited February 2013
    Glad I found this post!

When I met a Taerom he said he'd make the armor for 4,000 GP - but everywhere else it states 5,000 GP! Is this one of those cases where Charisma/Rep plays in? My 'afling has 21 CHA with Algernon's Cloak and the Tome. :D

EDIT

@Tiggrr aTweaks has a component that deals with this, allowing the equipping of Protection items with enchanted armor, but only giving the save bonus so you do not benefit from using normal armor over enchanted as per P&P. :) Not sure if aTweaks is available for EE yet, though.

Also,

If I sell my Ankheg shell to Taerom then aquire another, do I still only have ten days from the time I showed him the original shell or does the timer reset?
    Post edited by NocturneN on
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Since one of the patches, Ankheg armor isn't counted as magical one.
    Also, archer class can use that armor now.
    TJ_Hooker
    I just gave the shell to Taerom, and speaking to him again he says "It's not ready quite yet. Come back in a day or two, quality takes time" despite the fact that no time has passed and it takes 10 days! Abit misleading, imho.

This is BGT, I am unsure if this' been tweaked in BG:EE.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    BG:EE changed the time to three days, one if you pay extra.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eh? Why did they change that? 10 days passes easily with all the travelling you do in BG! It also makes sense that an enchanted armor would take time to make. Me not like. :S
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.