Skip to content

Menu delay and mini freezes

ZzzZombiZzzZombi Member Posts: 3
I've been having problems with some menus and occasional stutters after killing enemies. Before I explain it further I recorded a video of the menu lag problem.

Notice when I select my main character and open Mage - Priest pages it freezes a bit and then opens the page. It looks like I'm holding the left mouse button and releasing it after 1 second but I'm not. Inventory and Record pages also do this but they're quicker than MagePriest pages but still there's a bit more delay. On the other hand, for example, when I select Dynaheir and click on her Mage - Priest pages it opens without any delay, as it should. You can hear the UI click sound at the same time the Page opens.

Aside from that, whenever I kill an enemy in combat it does the exact same pause before enemy falls down and it says "...gained 50 XP".

I should mention these problems started to appear when I got close to the ending. It seems like whatever the problem was, kept happening on my save file as I played through the game. The only earlier save that doesn't have these problems are from 6-7 hours (IRL) before. Another issue is that save duration seemed to have increased slightly as I played through the game. It's like that same pause applied to quick saving and normal saving. Of course with all these problems loading between areas and loading save games take longer than it did before.

I assume all of these combined are actually the same issue. Anyone else experienced something like this? Is there something I can do with the save editor to get rid of whatever causing this?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've noticed in my play throughs that the save game does take a little longer then when you first start, but I think that is caused from the fact that the longer you play the game, the more information the game has to save, but even when I get to the very end of the game, it takes at most like 1 second to save, compared to the instant when in candlekeep at level 1 so it's not really a bother for me

although I do notice that in the inventory screen, it has a half second lag when I pick up items and drop them, and for me, this is very noticeable and quite annoying, rumor has it that certain graphic cards could be doing this glitch

• ZzzZombiZzzZombi Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, more information stored on save file definitely has an effect on response times (in fact mine grew from 11 KB to 582 KB on my Final Save file.

I just wanted to solve this because I noticed the same problem even after I finished main campaign and started SoD. Same pause on main character pages is still there. Thankfully though after the prologue of SoD when the game leaves you all alone, the mini pause issue seemed to relax a bit. I hope it doesn't come back again after I get some companions and play through SoD. I'm afraid it will just stick to my save file after I start BG2 with it.

Come to think of it, aside from golden pantaloons, I don't really have any stuff that'd carry over to BG2 if I import my save. I'd imagine the game would start a new smaller save file if I import my character rather than my save file and the problem wouldn't surface again. The question then is, are there stuff in the BG1 save file that would affect my BG2 play-through (any choice-consequence thing) when I start with an imported save file? Would my journal show my previous completed (and incomplete quests) from BG1 save and continue from Chapter 7 (like it does in SoD) ?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    bg2 is pretty much a whole new game, so the bg1 journal wont import over, since you start in the prologue in bg2

pretty much the only thing that transfers over into the second game is your character stats and a few select items can be found from bg1 in bg2 in different places, so im thinking your save game file is going to be pretty clean when you start bg2
  • ZzzZombiZzzZombi Member Posts: 3
    Good to know. Thank you.