Skip to content

Is this the reason why Beamdog called for testers?

So, is Planescape: Torment: Enchanced Edition the reason why Beamdog called for beta testers some time ago? I don't know if this is "classified" information or not, but I believe it's fair to ask, at least. I seem to recall that the company has hired D. Gaider, but I don't see why they'd need him or that many beta testers for P:T:EE alone, so I reckon the answer to my question may well be "No". But I would like to be sure.

Comments

• EvilkissEvilkiss Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 96
    If we took deep look to this announce https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62738/beta-testers-needed-for-the-next-release/p1, there they hired many "classes" to work on their new project, so I 100% think that wasn't been recently announced PST:EE. In PST we got only 3 different classes for Nameless One.

From this information we can decide that there will be a new game announced in the some sunny day. Let's wait and in meantime we will play PST:EE. :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Yes. Dunno about Gaider tho.
  • AncientCowboyAncientCowboy Member Posts: 199
    My opinion is that Gaider is involved in/driving a new game that we won't see for some time yet.
    As for the beta testers - The new version of IE developed for PST:EE will almost certainly be the basis for the next updates to BGEE/BG2EE/IWD. The beta testers may well be involved in testing those updates as well as PST:EE.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Hmm... Well, I suppose we'll see. Thanks for the replies.

I had my hopes up after the announcement concerning beta testers. BG stuff is the high point of computer gaming for me, but I can't conjure up any enthusiasm for PST:EE. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it's not for me.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    There were beta testers for both the desktop and the tablet version. And some well known modders.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Yes, that announcement led to being chosen as a beta-tester for PSTEE.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    You know... unless a dev specifically says that the December beta call was only for PST:EE, there's no telling what other projects may be in parallel development!

#TheTruthIsOutThere :wink:
  • flokifloki Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2017
    From what I have read a long time ago in interviews about the possibility of an Icewind Dale 2 EE it said that IWD2 had different D&D rules and so it would be very unlikely.
    And that it would be more likely to make an Enhanced Edition of PST EE, well PST EE has been anounced and will be released soon.

Reading the Q&A with Chris Avellone about PST EE on the Beamdog blog it says;
    13. This is the second time you’ve worked with Beamdog (Chris was a Narrative Consultant on Siege of Dragonspear). Would you be interested in collaborating with Beamdog again in the future?

CA - Of course. And have! Secrets!

So my guess is that there is another big project in development but it is not IWD2 EE but maybe another Infinity Engine game? Perhaps Neverwinter Nights or a completely new game from Beamdog?
    Siege of Dragonspear has still to be released for Android and IOS to, but that won´t happen until all the bug fixes on the pc version.
    They are very busy at Beamdog :)
    Post edited by floki on
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    floki said:

So my guess is that there is another big project in development but it is not IWD2 EE but maybe another Infinity Engine game? Perhaps Neverwinter Nights or a completely new game from Beamdog?

There's no need for guessing. It's pretty well known that they're working on a game that is a brand new D&D IP using 5e rules and set in the Forgotten Realms, with Gaider as the project lead.