Skip to content

The ONLY enhancement I require and the only one that will lead me to purchase this game.

2»

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't expect a game play video to be available before launch as most of us do not need convincing to buy it. They may add one to the BD site once the game launches.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2012
    mch202 said:

@cryocore

One last question, Do you find Tales Of The Sword Coast a 'must have' for you??

@mch202
    I own the Big Box version ToTSC so I already have the only must have version of the game that satisfies my geek collector. As far as ToTSC goes though I actually was (and still am) underwhelmed by the expansion (ToB is exceptional though).

I guess the point I was trying to make is that because I have replayed the game so many times, and in so many different ways there was no feature that I considered compulsory for me to spend more money to play the same story yet another time. I have played BG literally dozens of times of the last decade and a bit, and all the engine specific idiosyncrasies dont bother me in the slightest (they never have). The widescreen/resolution mod was the only feature I need now, although the rule fixes and bug squashing mods are obviously very much appreciated.

I admire the EE very much and hope to see BGII get the same treatment, but as great as all the technical advancements and refinements are for someone who's lived with this engine for so long and has no issue with it, there was nothing being added to EE that screamed must have for me.

The zoom function though is excellent as I can now play on my HDTV and no longer have to choose between view range and sprite visibility for combat. All the other enhancements while appreciated are ... great to have, but not a selling point for me. I am sure there are many people who see them as must have features, but like many things that is completely subjective.

BG runs well for now. I have thanks to tutu and the WS mod the screen resolution I want, and all the bugs and rule mistakes are fixed, and all the features I like are there. The ONLY issue I have had since going widescreen is that I had to choose either visual fidelity and range of visual field which looked cool on my monitor and TV, but made the sprites very small meaning combat and exploration on some areas far too fiddly. The zoom function fixes that entirely which is why it was the only 'must have' feature for me, but as I said and will reiterate that is only because I am so used to the engine and enjoy the game my only irk was the viewable area compromise I had to make.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    And look at the bright side; with that must-have feature (the zoom), you don't need to run a script to install those mods you've been using for the last fourteen years.

It might not be a must-have, but it's certainly nice.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    I wish i could remember where all my original boxes are. I think I only know where my IWD 2 CE box is, and maybe my Baldur's Gate 2 CE box is.
  • DakhranDakhran Member Posts: 1
    @cryocore that is truly an epic collection - I have a few of those boxes, and even some of the old "gold box" SSI D&D games, but not all of them...

I'm psyched for the BG:EE launch, have already preordered PC, and will be getting iPad, but the thing that really makes me squee like a schoolgirl in fanboy glee is the possibility that they will be making an "EE" version of the absolute best CRPG of all time: Planescape Torment... :)
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    @Dakhran
    The love I have for The Nameless One knows no bounds. It too is also my number 1 RPG of all time. If it got the same treatment as this I would insta buy it. Its one game I force myself not to replay often as I like to forget and rediscover aspects of the game. I play it once every 3-4 years or so.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    As much as it would be nice to see a bit more of the game in video form to see the "zoom" function at work among other things, my understanding of nda's is that they stay in effect at least until release and sometimes beyond that depending on the circumstance(s). So don't hold your breath or you'll turn a beautiful yet dangerous shade of blue and purple lol.

As for bgtutu, i don't mind it but i'd prefer not having to use it. Last time i used it i got so frustrated with it i gave up playing. Whether i missed one of the Y/N answers to mods or not i don't know but i found it silly to meet a direwolf at lvl 1 with a stick and your undies right on the 1st map of the bloody game. Raising difficulty is 1 thing, doing it just for the sake of doing it is nonsense. Direwolves, extra hard bears, higher lvl critters in general don't belong on the 1st map right out of Candlekeep to kill you. But that's just me and nm this BWP thing.
    That is too complicated and buggy for the average bear and most of the original modders are long gone and no longer support their mods. While there are a few good folk on their forums, many are just impatient and rude and rather than tearing them a new one, i decided to just dump BWP and stick with tutu or vanilla.

Hope i didn't deviate too much from the subject as my views on Steam are not complimentary in many ways. I simply resent having to keep steam on all the time as well as the constant forced alt-tabs(or w/e steam does that forces my games to minimize) or the slowdowns when it d-loads crap in the background and slows my games down. I find that garbage intrusive and annoying (Blizzard's battle.net is worse, even more so when it comes to starcraft2....i mean excuse me!!!??? i can't play that game on it's own until i've registered it and played it at least once on their .net servers? can you say effing BS blackmail? I understand this was apparently done as an anti-pirating measure...but it failed) I have no opinion on the business side of things as i don't have enough knowledge or information to make a proper argument on that point.

Egads i apologize for the length. No wonder people never read my posts on other threads despite making good points lol.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    @cryocore you've got Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!!! It's the first game I ever played, such fond memories. Man, sweet collection btw. Very jealous.