Skip to content

Legit katana wielding cleric

DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
Any multiclass thief can chose the use any weapon thief, but - and correct me if I am wrong - you can only put PiPs in your class allowed weapons, which would mean a -5 penalty to katana.

However, dual classes can put PiPs that later simply become useless, as you cannot equip weapons you cannot use... unless you have the use any weapons feat! I think by now you can see where this is going;

Thief lvl 26 xp = 3 520 000* xp = 3 HLA (UAI, shadow twin, shadow maze)
Cleric lvl 27 xp = 4 275 000* xp = 6 HLA (mass raise dead, summon deva, who cares the rest suck)

Eh? Eh?

*You prolly hafta solo or play small team to reach 8 million XP

Edit: I suppose it is also possible to go to thief from cleric (which would reduce the downtime somewhat depending, of course, at which level you dual), but then you cant have a shadowdancer or swashbuckler

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2017
    If you start off as a swashbuckler you could have two pips in Katana.

But I don't know where you expect to use your 26/27th level character.

You could go cleric 2 -> thief if you actually wanted a katana wielding cleric you can get some use out of.

You could use an editor to give a cleric use any item and a proficiency point in katana from the start. Just remember not to cheat and equip anything apart from katanas that aren't usable by clerics.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    if you really want this it's better to go cleric > thief. PoLathander > thief is actually a really good character (i suppose, haven't tried)
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Ah, but sirs, this way you get it with no cheats, and you get hide in plain sight! You just need some dedication and perseverance, thats all!
    It is also not only about the destination but also of the journey. First, you must master the thief, then you must master the cleric. Reaching your destination is merely the icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    bob_veng said:

if you really want this it's better to go cleric > thief. PoLathander > thief is actually a really good character (i suppose, haven't tried)

Level 11 Priest of Lathander duals are pretty nice, actually. Boon of Lathander gives you some extra APR to actually make use of that Katana, and by level 11 you will have access to most of the important Cleric stuff you'd want, (the ability to wear heavy armor, the bigger HD, and all spells except for level 7 / HLAs). Also possible to go to level 12 before dualing for the extra level 6 spell and the extra +1 to Str/Dex/Con with Draw Upon Holy Might.

The biggest downside-- the downtime-- is mitigated by leveling up as a Thief. C(11)>T completes at about 1.1m XP, only 440k of which is downtime.

Because of the way the thief level progression works, (huge wait between level 39 and level 40), you can actually go as far as C(15)>T and still reach level 39 by the XP cap, costing yourself only one HLA. That gives you your upgraded Skeleton Warriors, a useful Turn Undead, and access to level 7 spells. Though, of course, the longer you wait before dualing, the more you're delaying your HLAs in the first place.

(Also, the advantage of going C>T instead of T>C is thief HLAs are way better than Cleric HLAs.)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2017
    The game is an arbitrary represententation of an arbitrary fantasy setting in which many clerics CAN use those weapons; a pnp multi-player pastime, if you will, converted into a single-player computer game which you have probably completed a dozen times. Who exactly will suffer if you break these rules? Go on, try it.
    edited April 2017
    No, they are not:
    http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/char/clas009.html
    "They may not use edged or pointed weapons, weapons which principally draw blood."

And also, I cheat all the time. In fact, even to this build, I was planning to add my ususal repertoire of abilities (which is a long list) but most importantly black guard life steals and werewolf shapechanging, because it is just so much fun. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to add 5% random wild surge without setting your kit as wild mage. (You can do this, regardless of whether you have any mage classes at all. It wont say in the game, but you WILL have random wild surges.) (Adding the wild surge effect, without setting kit to wild surge, is either every spell, the first spell you cast or no spells at all, as far as I can tell) Hide in plain sight can also only be had, as far as I can tell, by setting your kit to shadowdancer. So, I must choose :(

The point is not that I can cheat to get what I want. The points is the challenge of completing this combo, for great justice!

Some people climb mount Everest. I... play computer games!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Wait, Divine Magic is unaffected by Wild Surge?
    Pokota said:

Wait, Divine Magic is unaffected by Wild Surge?

No, it is not. Neither are abilities. They can both wild surge if you have the wild mage kit active, even if you have no mage classes at all. Subtle Doctor is just drunk or sumthing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2017
    I am not that advanced, I just play around with eekeeper.

You can create any base class / multiclass, then enter eekeeper and chose kit wild mage. Now, all spells (including divine spells and at least some abilities) will have a chance of going wild surge, but keep in mind that the chance is 5%, so if you are testing it out, you need to cast an on average 20 spells before you will notice the change.

You can also go to effects, stat:uhhh...spelleffects?:wild something... I think... (I have eekeeper on another computer than the one I use right now) and play around with that one. I tried many things, and these are the effects I managed to create;

1. No effect
    2. Game crashes
    3. The first spell you cast will wild surge, but no other spells
    4. All spells you cast will forever more wild surge

I have also managed to lots of fun stuff with eekeeper, like giving monks the backstab ability, but as far as I can tell, at least using eekeeper, the only way to get hide in plain sight effect and the wild surge (that isnt all spells ever) is to chose the wild mage kit or shadowdancer kit.

If you have more know-how than me (I actually have zero, I just flip numbers around and see what happens) and perhaps more importantly, are familiar with other programs, I am thinking you could get the wild surge spell effect to both be permanent and have a set random chance of occuring. If you need something to entertain you for half an afternoon, that is.