Skip to content

Journal Cleanup (Spoilers)

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
Charming the Flaming Fist Mercenary who is pursuing Viconia, creates a journal entry "Murder Most Foul". This appears as a "Quest". It should be "Info". I can fix this in EEKeeper. Otherwise it just stays an open quest forever. Just making you guys aware for a future update. This fix, coupled with the Simple Journal Fixes (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63785/simple-journal-fixes-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee) have pretty much all but repaired my journal at last.

*Update* Found Another - Charming the Flaming Fist Mercenary who stops you on the road south of Beregost and accuses you of banditry, prompts dialogue about the Flaming Fist desperately needing Iron. This appears under "Rising Tensions with Amn" but does not appear in that quest string. I show this as "Quest" already and not "Info" but it doesn't resolve properly.

Also noticing some Journal Entries vanishing upon progressing from Chapter 2 to Chapter 3. Specifically, some of the "Troubles in the Region" entries. Two examples are Berrun Ghastkill's Entry requesting to clean out the mines, and the entry that the rash of banditry in the north prevents Amn from doing much.
Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    The Journal entry granted by Kylee (from completing the Kylee's Dagger quest) appears as "Info" but should be part of the nested quest, Investigating the Nashkel Mines. If you change this manually from "Info" to "Quest" in EEKeeper, it resolves correctly.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    edited April 2017
    lefreut said:

@HaHaCharade do you have saves before all these issues ?

Sure I can get them to you easy enough. Just let me know the best way to do this.
    edited November 2019
    edited April 2017
    Cool. On a side note, an update on some of these issues (below):

"Troubles in the Region" is supposed to close when you talk to Berrun Ghastkill. What tends to happen is, instead of closing (and being shown as a single entry in closed quests under Chapter 3) it closes the minute you kill Mulhaney (Under Chapter 2) and shows all the entries, some of which vanish. Additionally, you continue to get "Troubles in the Region" updates if you go to temples, etc which now show up as closed quests in Chapter 3. I think to correct this, "Troubles in the Region" should stay in place until you talk to Berrun Ghastkill, then it should end and show the one entry, but that's my opinion.

I've noticed similar behavior with "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" -- this quest simply vanishes after Mulhaney is killed (not closed, not nothing, just gone). It should stay in place until you talk to Emerson... When you DO talk to Emerson, you get a closed entry for it. However -- You continue to get entries for it from anyone who *already* given you an entry in the past. These entries now appear as part of the closed entry under Chapter 3. Example: You talk to Emerson. You get his closed message for Investigating the Nashkel Mines. You then talk to a random minor who comments about the ore being tainted -- you get that entry again (even though you had it before) under Emerson's closing entry.

What I did is I went into EEKeeper, and manually removed all "Troubles in the Region" entries once I talked to Berrun Ghastkill, save for his closing message. Now I have one entry for Troubles and one entry for Investigating, but nothing to stop getting more entries when I talk to people - even though the quests are closed. Super buggy.

I'll get some saves posted.

edited April 2017
    Here's the attached saves:

Nashkel Mines Level 2 - You'll notice upon entering the mines and watching the miner die, you get a notification of a Journal entry which never appears. Weird.

Kylee's Dagger - Right before you speak to Kylee. Just talk to him. You'll notice it doesn't attach his entry to the "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" quest. Probably a quick fix for this one of changing to Quest from info. When I did in EEKeeper, it resolved correctly into the thread.

A Drow Priestess in Peril - Charm the Flaming Fist member with Dorn's Charm cloak. Talk to him. You'll get "Murder Most Foul" but its listed as a "Quest". It should be "Info" as there's no quest. Another quick fix I made with EEKeeper.

An End to the Terror in the Mines - This is literally right before Chapter 3 starts. When you load the save, hit pause immediately (before Chapter 3 video loads). You'll see all the "Troubles in the Region" and "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" entries under Chapter 2 quests. Unpause - When Chapter 3 video plays, and Chapter 3 starts, "Troubles in the Region" closes (with some entries vanishing, including the one where Berrun tasks you to investigate the mines) and "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" disappears completely. I discussed in my previous post how I think these *should* resolve.

How it Should Look (But Doesn't) - This is just me hacking the save with EEKeeper and showing how I think the entries should resolve for Investigating and Troubles. Emerson closes Investigating completely, Ghastkill closes Troubles completely. However, you might want to check to ensure all "Troubles" entries can be obtained via Chapter 2. There were a couple I got from Chapter 3 in the temple in Beregost. Not sure if I could have gotten them in Chapter 2 or not. They were --

"Bandits are killing and robbing people who dare travel the Coastway"

and

"People have been angry that the Flaming Fist have been unable to stop the Bandit attacks. Travel has closed greatly."

Not sure why those aren't available in Chapter 2 (if that's the case)... but there you are. Since the quest closes, I'm thinking they either are or should be.

edited November 2019
    edited May 2017
    lefreut said:

Thanks for the saves and the detailed explanation :)

Kylee's Dagger - Right before you speak to Kylee. Just talk to him. You'll notice it doesn't attach his entry to the "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" quest. Probably a quick fix for this one of changing to Quest from info. When I did in EEKeeper, it resolved correctly into the thread.

A Drow Priestess in Peril - Charm the Flaming Fist member with Dorn's Charm cloak. Talk to him. You'll get "Murder Most Foul" but its listed as a "Quest". It should be "Info" as there's no quest. Another quick fix I made with EEKeeper.

I have made a standalone fix for these two entries. You only have to drop the lua file into the override folder. It's also included in the latest version of LeUI.

It's ugly as the strref are hardcoded but it's better than nothing until we get a new patch...

Nashkel Mines Level 2 - You'll notice upon entering the mines and watching the miner die, you get a notification of a Journal entry which never appears. Weird.

An End to the Terror in the Mines - This is literally right before Chapter 3 starts. When you load the save, hit pause immediately (before Chapter 3 video loads). You'll see all the "Troubles in the Region" and "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" entries under Chapter 2 quests. Unpause - When Chapter 3 video plays, and Chapter 3 starts, "Troubles in the Region" closes (with some entries vanishing, including the one where Berrun tasks you to investigate the mines) and "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" disappears completely. I discussed in my previous post how I think these *should* resolve.

These ones are tricky. New entries are added with the state in-progress to a quest that is already set as done. I have updated LeUI to correctly show the quest in both tabs. This does not fix the entries vanishing as the game explicitly remove them, I don't think this can be fixed from the UI.

I don't have a standalone fix.
    Good stuff! Yeah its odd the game handles the journal as it does. Personally, since "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" disappears on Chapter 3 start, I simply also close out the Troubles one completely too. Works for me. I really wish they'd fix the journal. It has never worked right since inception.