Skip to content

Help with homebrew worlds

I was thinking of making a dinosaur/prehistoric themed homebrew Dungeons & Dragons setting, with the Saurials from 2nd edition Forgotten Realms as one of the core races, and with some influence from the Conan stories, the Dinotopia books and various low magic fantasy stuff. What can you suggest me to do?

Comments

• XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    flesh out races add rulers describe the setting (Lush forest, Barren desert etc.)
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    It looks like you already have it pretty well-planned. I haven't seen Conan ride a dinosaur, but - why not. :D There are probably more special prehistoric RPGs out there, though.
  • TerrytailsTerrytails Member Posts: 12
    as i recall there are three types of Saurals. the flying ones the human sized ones and the big ones. so you could have Conan ride one though he'd probably need to be very convincing on why as i remember they were fairly intelligent and proud. in that setting there were these feathered dragons with lot of colors it's always cool riding a dragon. are you going to have them talk through scenting and clicking noises? if not you'll need to work in some telepathy or magic or only limited communication between Conan and the Saurals.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Its not gonna have Conan in it, but its inspired by the atmosphere and setting of the stories. Plus i have to work on the Heroes and Villains npcs.

PS: Saurials are four.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Why not give a look at the D20 Modern system and it's D20 Past supplement. The D20 Modern system does a good job of keeping magic rare and full of wonder, and the D20 Past will have a lot of stuff ready made for you to build your home brew on. It would be easy to integrate any other D20 3 / 3.5 edition elements, such as the Saurals.