Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Max HP bug

PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 239
Has a bug been introduced recently that gives max Hp every time you level up?

Either I've been extremely lucky with all HP rolls or the game is automatically giving max HP on level ups even though I am playing on core difficulty.

Comments

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Are you playing on iOS? I believe this is a known issue on that platform.

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
    It's an option that was turned on by default in v1.3... of course in the iOS game there's no way to edit the configuration file. So it becomes a massive, game-breaking bug.

In IWDEE, and presumably in the upcoming updates to BG(2)EE, there is a checkbox in gameplay settings to fix this.

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited May 2017
    Just to make it clear, if you're on PC there's already simple checkbox in the settings to turn it off. Happened to me when I last started a BG 2 game, and everyone got way ahead of my PC in hitpoints.

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 239
    Pingwin said:

This is BG1EE on PC.

Yeah, you should just need to uncheck the box then. Options > Gameplay > Max HP on Level Up. If you're still getting max HP after that, it's a bug.

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 239
    Thanks.

Never noticed that option. Annoying as core rules doesn't say that it gives max HP on level up, and the game never used to behave like that. Can't believe that anyone thought it was a good idea to make core rules default to not actually being core rules.

It's a pretty egregious oversight, but I think it is indeed just an oversight - not an intended default state (which would be way more egregious).

It's a pretty egregious oversight, but I think it is indeed just an oversight - not an intended default state (which would be way more egregious).

Agreed. Beamdog has been doing a lot to disentangle the various difficulty-affecting variables, which is a Good Thing(tm). Thanks to their work, for instance, you can play IWD on Insane with the damage boost and the bonus XP turned off just to get the harder spawns. That's cool.

(Turning off the extra XP, in particular, is a big deal because otherwise the higher difficulty levels eventually became easier than the lower ones because you out-leveled the content.)

It's a shame Max HP on Level Up is turned on by default, but it's really nice that it's now its own separate toggle.

All good points, however:
    SomeSort said:

It's a shame Max HP on Level Up is turned on by default, but it's really nice that it's now its own separate toggle.

Yeah I guess, if you're into that sort of thing. But, the game is designed around PCs with average rolls. It would be nice if there was aldo an "average rolls" option for players who dislike the crazy variability of rolls, but don't want to unbalance things by using max rolls.