Skip to content

my roleplay

I've played this game with so many characters but always seem to come back to the same one, pure class ranger.

Imo the ranger should definitely have a bit more than they get, including find and set/ disable traps and level 4 spells, but that's another topic.

I always play as a woodsman, so longbows axes, spears and dagger and I never wear heavier than chain (eleven chain is my favourite) and before eleven chain I'll stick to leather/ studded leather.

I pick healing spells such as cure minor wounds, slow poison and cure disease as I imagine I'd want these to hand if I found and injured animal in the wild.

I explore everywhere in stealth and I never harm an animal.... If one spots me and attacks I charm it and send it somewhere safe... I'd not use it as a tank like some do.

I put a stop to anyone harming animals or innocents of any kind, even to the point of killing them... The guy in bg1 who asks you to kill a polar bear by a bridge as an example is an unfortunate but necessary loss of reputation.

I know I'm not playing the strongest class but I feel I'm playing as me I guess.

Would love to read others examples.

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited May 2017
    @jesterdesu The one time I played as a ranger it was the Beastmaster (I liked the old Movie with Marc Singer).
    Play was just as you mentioned and the restrictions I did not miss one bit as he is better at hiding and summoning PLUS a familiar, which is just a nice touch as a traveling companion. It also really fit with Wilson as an NPC in BG2 (to me, basically Ben from The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams).
    Its all about getting into the character and background which sounds like you do as well. I rarely care bout power arguments or restrictions, they just give more fuel to the fire in my imagination TBH.

I actually mistakenly became a Fallen Ranger in that run,early in BG. I played him all the way into BG2 for the ranger quest to reverse that in his quest. It actually was more satisfying in a way than just getting the stronghold without that touch. That moon dog figurine is just plain awesome.

EDIT: If you have not tried @ulb animal companion's mod, or @Ravenslight Critter parts mod, I highly recommend them for a ranger run.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Cabusha I'm hearing you on FM there. Yep, really role playing a characters alignment, deity influence, race and class really makes the game 'click' for me, esp, after so many plays. Always new ideas and inspirations this game provides. B)
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Interesting @Cabusha , I am now deciding on which mage to add to my 4-person neutral trending evil dwarven thief party and of course Edwin is leading the pack it seems. I already have your same party and envision the same slow moral slippage dark side embrace you describe. What fun :)
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    @dustbubsy you might enjoy the Gotrek and Felix books if you've not tried them... Basically Dwarven berserker type saves the life of a young, educated human and said human then follows him to record his"doom", the problem being the dwarf is so tough nothing seems to be able to grant his doom...
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    @jesterdesu Yes, Gotrek and Felix were the companions of my childhood reading...at least until William King stopped writing them. I read the later Nathan Long books a few years ago, they're good also!

Looking into it, there seems to have been five additional books published since 2013 by two different writers. Might give them a try at some point.