Skip to content

How to Shadowdancer

cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
How do you play this class? I know that seems like a rather silly question but I'm serious. I'm a huge thief fan but this is one thief kit I haven't really tried simply because I don't really understand it. Yea I get that you can Hide in Plain Sight and repeatedly backstab but what does this kit do against enemies that can see through stealth or are immune to backstab? There's also the issue of no traps. Traps are arguable the only real weapon a thief has at higher levels against many of the tougher enemies in late game SoA and ToB. So I would love for anyone, that has extensive experience with this kit, to enlighten me on the hidden intricacies of the Shadowdancer. Pure class, or dual class? Really anything at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    I can't really judge as I Keeper my F/T to F/Shadowdancer.

The only thing I can say is that I find it better when doing HiPS and repeatedly stabbing is to hide, then unhide and wait a few seconds before stabbing, so that the Hide button has cycled once you've stabbed.

It threw me off the first few times I played Shadowdancer because I'd hide, stab, then no rehiding because the button hasn't cycled. Usually I'd be running away to break contact while the hide button is refreshing on anything but a Shadowdancer.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Even kitless thieves have options. Consider some of the thieves from BG1, which was created before kits and whose existing content Beamdog is contractually not allowed to change. Imoen is generally used as the infiltrator, opening locks and disarming traps. Montaron is good as the backstabber, given his initial points in stealth. Alora is the stickyfingers with her pickpocket score.

Given all that, consider the shadow thief the ultimate backstabber. One of these days I'm going to get around to creating a shadowdancer that I will dual into a cleric.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Swashbuckler used to be my favorite thief kit, but man I am having a TON of fun with my Shadowdancer. Built flash step and an HLA that is practically Simulacrum? Yes please!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    ThacoBell said:

Swashbuckler used to be my favorite thief kit, but man I am having a TON of fun with my Shadowdancer. Built flash step and an HLA that is practically Simulacrum? Yes please!

As I've said before, it is fun. Cheesy, but fun. Like a [insert band here] concert.
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

As I've said before, it is fun. Cheesy, but fun. Like a [insert band here] concert.
    Especially if you EEkeeper the kit onto a F/M/T, heehee
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    So what are strategies against enemies that are immune to backstab and/or that can see through stealth? At least in it's pure class form I can see any weapon the Shadowdancer has in those situations other than UAI shenanigans. Or is dual classing the best option to off set its weaknesses? If so what is generally the best level to dual class? Flip side to dual classing is you miss out on those special HLAs made just for the Shadowdancer.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @cbarchuk They are a bit heavy on the micro-management side. I kept my half-orc SD pure and did fine. Getting the hang of HiS timing is key. You can eventually just stand in a group of mummies or mind flayers and take em out one by one.
    As to the critters that can't be backstabbed or see invisible, THAT'S when you send in your other 'NPC's n summons' to get the job done. Just give em support on the side, and send in a shadow of yourself to help out. Worked for me at least. I honestly got a bit bored after a long while til you hit the creatures that can 'see'.
    Shadowdancer does lose a lot of power against backstab immune enemies. Against those you are more a scout than a damage dealer. You can use items and HLAs to still contribute though. UAI helps immensely with this.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Your best bet against backstab immune enemies would be hitting them from afar with a bow, particularly with a simulacrum. Use shadow step to reposition and kite your enemies. That's the best way to handle such enemies. But clearly pure thieves aren't that good lategame, especially without traps.