Skip to content

How can people critically hit more?

The base chance of scoring a critical hit depends on rolling a 20 out of 20 for an attack roll, so a 5% chance then. A pip in two hand weapon style means you can crit on a 19 or a 20, so you crit twice as often which makes it a point well spent I think. I know about the critical HLA. Does a +1 weapon crit more than a normal weapon? I have a feeling it must do, because all the fighters seem to turn into death machines when they're using the various highly enchanted weapons from watchers keep. Does the luck bonus from bard song help, and does the song stack with the luck bonus from the mage spell?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    There are a select few items that increase crit chance, and I believe all of them were introduced with SoD, so the only ones available in BG2 are Archer Eyes and Dragon Blade, which you must import from SoD.
    Besides these items, there is no way to increase your crit chance (except what you already mentioned). I am not 100% sure about luck though but I don't think it increases it.

And no, enchanted weapons do not crit more often, but the increase in THAC0 (and the fact WK enemies have a very low base THAC0) make them hit very often. You'll find, or may have found already, that AC doesn't work so well as a protection during ToB.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Just to confirm that in Baldur's Gate luck does not affect the chance of a critical hit.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you want critical hits to play a larger role overall, I can recommend the Item Revisions mod. It introduces crit bonuses to various items, and also changes helms to not be automatic crit protection to make critical hits more meaningful (both for and against you).
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

If you want critical hits to play a larger role overall, I can recommend the Item Revisions mod. It introduces crit bonuses to various items, and also changes helms to not be automatic crit protection to make critical hits more meaningful (both for and against you).

That's something I always found strange, that only helms prevented crits. More places than just head to score on in crit fashion, and easy/smarter to target than head as well.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Zaghoul said:

That's something I always found strange, that only helms prevented crits. More places than just head to score on in crit fashion, and easy/smarter to target than head as well.

That, and also the weird fact that basically ANYTHING worn in the head slot prevents critical hits, even quest items like the Mask of King Strohm III (not sure if this was patched, can't remember). Since it's basically trivial to get something on the heads of every party member pretty much from the start of the game, critical hits are effectively something that only ever happens to opponents - a bit of a waste of a mechanic, if you ask me. IR handles it much better, and actually makes you take care with characters that don't easily get crit protection (which still exists, on some items).