Skip to content

HEY DEVS, Using Tutu and/OR BG1 NOW to Roll our Characters and import saved games or .CHA characters

GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
If i missed the official word sorry, however I would appreciate some sort of official response if we can;

import saved games or exported XXXXX.cha characters from the original BG game into BG:EE

also if we can

import save games or exported .cha characters from TuTu modified BG game into BG:EE

reason I'm asking is i have some great rolls of characters over the past 14 years and want to use them in BG:EE

Also I want to start rolling BG2 characters and races in TuTu with zero XP that will be featured in BG:EE (Kits/Races/Classes ETC.) that didn't exist in BG1. Actually this is the primary reason for me buying BG:EE is to try out the extra options available in BG2 in the new BG:EE.

Anyways would really appreciate some sort of official response this time.

Last time i begged Trent to give us a hint on the new XP cap for BG:EE but he never stopped by the thread :(

Post edited by Gloomfrost on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't think you'll be able to import characters from vanilla BG1.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

I don't think you'll be able to import characters from vanilla BG1.

oh my Lord that would suck, i mean REALLY suck, i just want to use the best rolls over the least 14 years starting at lvl 0 from my original rolls.

REALLY need confirmation on this.....starting to panic :(

We have 2.5 months to wait, would be nice to start rolling our characters now , not playing them just rolling them up.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No imports is the word on the street.

However if you have an ideal set of stats in mind that you have previously rolled then just CLUA console them in once you've rolled your PC.
    over 14 years i have legally the following characters
    99 Paladin
    99 Fighter (exported from a fallen Paladin and imported back in using statistics only option)
    98 Ranger
    96 Thief
    95 Priest

do you think the DEVELOPERS would consider it LEGAL and APPROVED to use those stats on a new character

This actually REALLY matters to me personally

Remember I am a man so approval by the people i respect matters A LOT to me :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    @Gloomfrost The developers won't care what stats you use on your character, even if you cheat the hell out of it and have 25's everywhere. Just do whatever you feel like. I don't believe anybody would disapprove of you if you play the game the way you like, especially not the developers.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Just sett all stats to 18 and lower a few to match your stats
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I didn't actually read the above post.

But there's cake.

And I like cake.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    If I rolled a character now, I would never end up using them anyway. I would want to reroll in the BG:EE game and create someone completely new rather than recycle a character. Part of the fun of kicking off a new game for me is rolling up that new character.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Just keep on rolling 'till you run out of cake. Remember: when the rolling is done, there will be cake.

The Enrichment Center is required to remind you, that you will be baked first. Then there will be cake.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012

Remember I am a man so approval by the people i respect matters A LOT to me :)

Why?

Because, obviously, the approval of people they respect is completely unimportant to women. But, since he is a man, it's an entirely different affair.

[...]

-----------------------------------------
    @reedmilfam Just quoted for truth, awesomeness, double the amount of cake and because you can only like posts once. About rolling again, funny story: I rolled 18/00 on only TWO characters: a ranger and a fighter I was planning as an evil archer. I remember those because I don't reroll that much and it's pretty hilarious to only get perfect strength when I rolled for ranged characters. :)

But yeah, since the devs are known for giving characters illegally low and illegally high stats I doubt they will care that anyone messes with the stats to set them to values matching what they had in mind (RP-wise or power-wise).

"Remember I am a man so approval by the people i respect matters A LOT to me"

@Gloomfrost You could, you know, edit the post so it can't be construed as derogatory ;) Unless you're roleplaying Eldoth, in which case: Spot on!
    @neleothesze you win an insightful prize!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Write down the stats for those characters. Enable cheats and use Ctrl + 8. Then reduce some of the scores down from all 18's (18/00 in the case of Str) to whatever they were. I guess the one thing that may not match perfectly is Str, as you may have originally rolled 18/62 or whatever.

Alternatively, if Shadowkeeper works for BG:EE you can change stats that way too. I have no idea if anyone still maintains Mudmaster. But if not, someone in the modding community will probably tweak it to work with BG:EE, if that's needed. A lot of players use SK.
    I hope so, but would still enjoy some Official validation by the DEVS. Do the Devs EVER appear on these forums? I'm had 2 threads with lots of views and they haven't even popped in to say hi we hear you :(
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The developers don't read every single thread on the forums.
    Well if DEVS or HEY TRENT are in the thread title you think it might get their attention?

also some of us don't use Social Networking crap like Facefriend and Twatter and these forums are, well ....for general discussion about the very project they are working on. I don't know call me crazy if i think the DEVS just might read their own general discussion boards.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    The Devs are sort of busy making the game, so you can excuse them for not perusing the internet. Trent only really stops by to read and respond in the official announcements, like the ship date delay thread and what not.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349

If i missed the official word sorry, however I would appreciate some sort of official response if we can;

import saved games or exported XXXXX.cha characters from the original BG game into BG:EE

also if we can

import save games or exported .cha characters from TuTu modified BG game into BG:EE

reason I'm asking is i have some great rolls of characters over the past 14 years and want to use them in BG:EE

Also I want to start rolling BG2 characters and races in TuTu with zero XP that will be featured in BG:EE (Kits/Races/Classes ETC.) that didn't exist in BG1. Actually this is the primary reason for me buying BG:EE is to try out the extra options available in BG2 in the new BG:EE.

Anyways would really appreciate some sort of official response this time.

Last time i begged Trent to give us a hint on the new XP cap for BG:EE but he never stopped by the thread :(

chill pill plz ; )
    edited September 2012
    never in the history of all forum everywhere, in all the tubes of the Internets has such a helpful comment been made. Could you at least try next time ? :)

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I hope so, but would still enjoy some Official validation by the DEVS. Do the Devs EVER appear on these forums? I'm had 2 threads with lots of views and they haven't even popped in to say hi we hear you :(

Can you clarify exactly what you want validation of? Is it the import from vBG1 feature (which isn't going to happen) or if the Devs think you could hack in your previous dice rolls into a new character?
    edited September 2012
    Devs are focused on bug-fixing and meeting the Nov. 30th deadline for release. I can't imagine they'll come running to the forum to address something like this.

At the very least you will be able to easily recreate the stats for those mega-rolls via the game's CLUA console. As for the Str score's 18/xx, the difference between 18/01 and 18/(1)00 is a negligible fraction and won't affect gameplay in the slightest. [Edit: This was wrong info, as pointed out below by Adul. Sorry.] Edit: Replicating the exact Str score might be an issue, so you may have to "live" with 18/00.

If you want to import a higher level and/or hacked character you're probably going to have to wait until Shadowkeeper works with BG:EE.

Actually, if you're utterly determined you could learn to use the DLTCP editor which is what I believe the devs are using now.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Lemernis said:

As for the Str score's 18/xx, the difference between 18/01 and 18/(1)00 is a negligible fraction and won't affect gameplay in the slightest.

Sorry but I just couldn't just get past reading that statement without saying anything. The difference between 18/01 and 18/00 is 2 points of THAC0 and 3 points of damage. I wouldn't call that negligible in my wildest dreams. In fact, it's the difference between being an average fighter and an exceptional one, especially on early levels.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Adul said:

Lemernis said:

As for the Str score's 18/xx, the difference between 18/01 and 18/(1)00 is a negligible fraction and won't affect gameplay in the slightest.

Sorry but I just couldn't just get past reading that statement without saying anything. The difference between 18/01 and 18/00 is 2 points of THAC0 and 3 points of damage. I wouldn't call that negligible in my wildest dreams. In fact, it's the difference between being an average fighter and an exceptional one, especially on early levels.
    You also are able to carry almost twice as much weight with 18/00 as compared to 18/01 - 18/50.
    18/00 just looks weak because it's only two digits. In reality it unbalances the game (especially at low leves) enough, so that no joinable NPC actually has that type of strength. Minsc already had to be made a ranger (no more than 2 proficiency points in any weapon!) with very low DEX and mediocre CON, just to keep things balanced.

When I play IWDale 1, one of the party members is always a dwarf called Bohr, with STR 18/00, DEX 17 and CON 19. He is absolutely unfair and destroys anything in his wake, dealing 20 damage very early on.

Since IWDale has so many hardcore fights, more difficult than BG2 imo, it is still fun to play like that. In BG2 such a fighter would be pretty boring I suppose, especially if you would make him a berserker.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited September 2012
    @Gloomfrost Most likely not:
    "Existing saves will likely not be compatible at ship. We're changing a few things here and there."
    @TrentOster (28 May 12)
    edited September 2012
    @Anton thanks for the linked info. However check the link below

"We haven't changed the save game formats yet. Hopefully nothing comes up that forces that on us"

so what happened in less then 2 months time to invalidate the above statement? Do they have an idea how important it is to some of us that over 15 years we might have some rolls that took us literally weeks to get?
    Adul said:

Lemernis said:

Oy, I stand corrected. (Been a long time since I played.) Apologies.
    Hopefully no offense taken, but this seems like such a non-issue given that you can just recreate the rolls using an editor. You know the editor will follow the release by only a short distance. I don't think the developers should have any attention focused on this type of issue. You can also reroll. If you want to use a roll from 14 years ago, importing is no more or less valid than hacking the file. You are just getting the numbers the way you want them when you don't want to go through the trouble of rolling up the character.

I think the question about the new XP cap is much more relevant and interesting, but either way it shouldn't be a developer priority to ensure that files created using a fan mod (Tutu) are compatible with the new software.
    edited September 2012
    @AHF no offense take at all. We all have thing we feel are important to us related to BG:EE and this one is important to me, a long time fan.

I guess it's like having a Favorite Teddy Bear as a kid and being told it's to old to take on the trip and your parent(s) will just get you a new one...no thanks me and Bucky have been through thick and thin, no way I'm abandoning him now ;)

The entire reason a game is getting overhauled and bringing back its original fans is NOSTALGIA.

It's the memory of the game and with me the memory of my character. Preserving that save file for 15 years.

Saving it to floppy disk, zip disk, cd, dvd, thumb drive, email, cloud storage, i can't even tell you how many times I've backed up this character save and where.

I do not want to use a third party illegal program to "hack" a character into the game.

Many fans including me have played the same character over and over again in the game.

We could import the same character into BG2 from BG.

Trent Oster stated ""We haven't changed the save game formats yet"

So they did change it, fine write a simple script that handles importing the character.

They are intimately familiar with the original format only having changed it the last month or so.

So here is an idea;

Allowing an Official import function is very important for many of us nostalgic fans.

They have extended the release date 2 .5 months past the due date already.

Ample time for a simple item like character import from a saved game or a .cha file.

Hell i would pay for a DLC to do that if it was Official.

Anyways I've made my point and it's up to the Devs to listen or not to us nostalgic and dedicated fans of the series.

Thanks for all the input chums, and support for this thread.

Post edited by Gloomfrost on
    Are you looking to import the character with all the experience from your prior run or just the stats? I suppose the editor could handle it either way, but I am a bit unclear.

Since the character starts at level 1 with 0 XP, I am assuming they aren't at all focused on importing files from Tutu or BGT.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    While I can understand your nostalgia, I don't think this is a top priority for the devs. There are already ways for those who wish to shape a character the way they want it (the editors are by no means illegal!), and I believe your case is really special. I haven't heard anyone state the same explanation, so I fear you might be a member of a very, very small part of the community. Of course I don't have any market research data to support my claim, but my feeling is that even if the devs made a paid DLC that does exactly what you want, it wouldn't turn out profitable because only few people would actually buy it. So, I wish you luck that your dream comes true as I can understand your sentiment, but I really wouldn't count on it.