Skip to content

Who remembers this trivium from AD&D rules?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
It is somewhere in the Dungeon Master's Guide for the 2nd edition, or buried in the supplements - the rules for creatures (monsters) fighting each other when they can only be hit with magical weapons. For example, a lich with his protection of +1-and-better against a vampire with his... what was it, +1-and-better again? I remember there were rules for using monsters' Hit Dice to determine what they can hit. But I can't recall where or what they were. Help me out here!

Comments

• PaulGreystokePaulGreystoke Member Posts: 63
    IIRC, in 1st Edition AD&D, creatures of 4+HD could hit creatures that could only be hit by +1 weapons or better. I believe that each 2 additional HD increased the magic + that could be hit by 1. I think that this capped at 10+HD being able to hit creatures requiring a +4 weapon to hit - but it could have been 12+HD being able to hit creatures requiring +5 weapons to hit.

I assume that 2nd Edition carried over this rule, but I can't categorically state that I recall reading it in the 2E DMG, whereas I have strong recollection of reading the rule in the 1E DMG.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Thank you. I've never read the 1st edition DMG, and I think in the 2nd edition, which is what I'm looking for, the numbers were higher. Definitely more than +1 for every 2 HD after the first. But I can't seem to find any information on this in the online version of the DMG that I've got at all.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Dungeon Masters Guide Table 48 shows the following HD to hit creatures immune to normal weapons:
    4+1 or more - +1 weapon
    6+2 - +2
    8+3 - +3
    10+4 - +4
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    That's right, Grond. I just found that table myself. Same rules as in the first edition, then. I'm going to release a little patching mod that will allow monsters to break through anti-weapon defenses. Will benefit both sides - enemies vs. the party and summons vs. enemy mages.