Skip to content

We could really use more animals

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
edited May 2017 in Feature Requests
I mean, animal animations. They bring life to a world, whether that's an Icewind Dale or a Sword Coast, much more than another skeletal horror or lich. And they are good material for quests - as objects, enemies, trophies... Have you, I mean Beamdog, added any neutral creatures at all to the games? If not, then it's a gap. The original games had cows, chickens... no horses, unfortunately... there is a fine moose... Or whose moose is it? A sideways-slithering snake and some cats are also available.

More animals = a wider world = no getting stuck in the monsters/gold/magic sugar rush loop.

And it wouldn't be a waste. Animals and scenery, normal scenery rather than another supernatural castle. are construction blocks of a setting. The vanilla game didn't have to have cows and cats and chickens either, but without them what would it be? A delirium?

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    More animals, always nice. A big hornets nest would be interesting to see, not only for the buzzing around but the potential to stumble into one.

There are the two horses at the Cloakwood mine so the animation and sound must be there somewhere. Well, they don't move, but still.
    In Cloakwood, even some webs about would be a welcome site, with giant spiders running rampant.

Maybe some bullfrogs about the swamps, hop,hop,hop. (Giant frogs to of course but that's NOT normal).

Yeah, niceness. B)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited May 2017
    Honey badgers would be great. You could summon them, order them to attack, and they wouldn't care.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    edited May 2017
    Zaghoul said:

There are the two horses at the Cloakwood mine so the animation and sound must be there somewhere. Well, they don't move, but still.

That's true! I forgot about them. No horses anywhere outside of a remote fort... Unless there were some at the Friendly Arm? Or just cows? What is the Iron Throne up to with that?

Hey, here is a mod idea: the fort is really a dock for spelljamming ships. To dodge VAT, the Throne planned to sell the iron off-Toril to neogi in timber Baba Yaga arcs, each containing a few horses and other animals as sandwich material. Boo had escaped from one of these with a parachute, but a ray gun had shrunken him on the way down. Now he wants to warn the world of the neogi invasion, but he is secretly controlled by the illithids to shift the blame for a coming planet-wide mind-rape as they scan Toril in search of the one creature designated as captain by the Spelljammer ship itself - this individual only known to be mean and a gnome! Boo is hunted by agents of the illithids, neogi and drow who all mistakenly believe Boo's former master to be the gnome the ship seeks and want to pry the name from him. The master is alive and lives in a desert retreat as a permenent illusion of an old hermit - he was Quayle's teacher. After beating Quayle at a game of go, Edwin earns enough respect to learn the master's whereabouts. Meanwhile, Minsc and Kivan coach the hamster in regaining his confidence and might. When activated by Boo, the second half of the record plays and the identity of the would-be captain is revealed: he is none other than TIAX, finally taken up high as promised - but how will this sit with the Church of Cyric?
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    This is something I really do notice after playing this game so many times - as awesome as the world of BG is, there's a lot of emptiness in certain areas that would be better with more random wildlife. More animals that are neutral but can also turn hostile like Bears, and possibly even 'Rare' or 'Endangered' animals that lower your rep for killing them, but has a skin that sells for a lot.