Skip to content

A way to pass through the Xvart village without burning it to the ground

2»

Comments

• MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    @Humanoid_Taifun Look, as your article just stated, that's one of the weird things that D&D does, making an entirely evil race. In this case we are not battling against those who cannot defend themselves, or have'nt got the option to simply flee. You can detect evil with a paladin and every one of those damn xvarts will still be evil bad guys who want to kill you. I know that it's sort of become the 'in thing' to have good characters within the evil races, (Starting with Drizzt and moving on and up) but that's just not how the original Baldur's Gate works.

By rule of thumb, just about anything that attacks me, I attack back. Plain and simple, not good, not evil, just keeping myself alive. If my reputation drops from it then I know I've done something wrong and I can work towards making amends towards that. Otherwise, things don't hurt me, and I won't hurt them. Just like with the black bears in Baldur's Gate 1, where they are almost always nuetral until you get too close to them. As a druid or ranger I'll charm them, otherwise they're fair game for trying to maul me. Now granted, this did give me a few problems with the Flaming Fist on my very first play through of Baldur's Gate, but I eventually learned not to kill them as they're just doing their lawful jobs trying to arrest me.

If a Xvart attacks me, I'll kill it, if a Bandit attacks me, I'll kill it, and if a village of cuddly bunnies attacked me, I'd kill them too. That's just the way I role in RPGs.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    edited June 2013
    Is it bad to commit thread necromancy here? ;)

The wiktionary on Thread Necromancy states:
    "The act of posting in a thread on an Internet forum, that is already considered dead or/and out of discussion."

I think I'm justified because I have something else to add (I think).

It would seem that Nexlit will state:

"You monster!! You kill us when we do nothin' to you. Well, Ursa kill you. Ursa protect us because Ursa kind."

He'll state that, even if you haven't killed any Xvarts in your game at all. So if you want to play it Good, sneak in to the village, reveal yourself, and let him say his line.

This will expose him as a creature who is trying to sentence you to death without a trial, and with a lack of evidence. He doesn't allow you to respond before passing his judgement. In my opinion that makes him as evil as they come, giving you enough justification (moreso) to wipe him out...

I'm struggling to justify wiping out his village though. The rest of the Xvarts must obviously have to 'bow down' to this dictator, otherwise he'll set 'his bear' upon them. Maybe once Nexlit and his bear are killed, the rest of the village should turn neutral and thank you (providing that you haven't killed any other Xvarts during the process).
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Syntia13 said:

And remember, you might be killing one of (Larry, Darryl & Darryl)'s mums!

Just a quick note: All the Xvarts in the village are male. I'm guessing that Xvartette (a pun on Smurfette) was out 'doing other things' in some other Xvart village somewhere. ;)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Invisibility and/or stealth. While they are intelligent, it doesn't make them any less hostile to outsiders. And Xvarts are notoriously territorial.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    They're the ones who attack you. Destroy them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Also, when he summons Ursa, Ursa attacks him first more often than not. So he probably has a penchant for cruelty to animals.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Not only are the damned smurfs hostile to begin with, they harass cows! String them up and burn their village.

It might be a funny mini mod if someone made a large party of xvart 'heroes' that hunt you down and attack you during your travels if you slaughtered the village. Then you could kill more xvart a as a uprise reward for doing a good deed!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    Xvarts are not smurfs. They are not cute, loving, peaceful, useful or productive creatures. They pillage the farms for food and like to torture people for fun. You are doing the entire area a huge favour by killing them.

You may think they are the underdog and feel guilty about killing them, it's because they are so weak that a semi-capable party can decimate their entire village. But, truly if the tables were reversed they would do even worse things to you. In a pnp game if you decide to enter their village unarmored, weaponless and yelling 'I want to be your friend!' Or even bring gifts to them, They will capture you and kill you slowly by torture, like by bleeding you slowly with dull blades, no matter how much you beg them not to cut. Because it is in their nature.

I don't say there can be exceptions, there are good drows, cowardly dwarves, adventrous halflings, vile and evil elves, etc. There can be a very noble and kind xvart, maybe, but the odds are astronomically low.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    lunar said:

Xvarts are not smurfs. They are not cute, loving, peaceful, useful or productive creatures. They pillage the farms for food and like to torture people for fun. You are doing the entire area a huge favour by killing them.

You may think they are the underdog and feel guilty about killing them, it's because they are so weak that a semi-capable party can decimate their entire village. But, truly if the tables were reversed they would do even worse things to you. In a pnp game if you decide to enter their village unarmored, weaponless and yelling 'I want to be your friend!' Or even bring gifts to them, They will capture you and kill you slowly by torture, like by bleeding you slowly with dull blades, no matter how much you beg them not to cut. Because it is in their nature.

I don't say there can be exceptions, there are good drows, cowardly dwarves, adventrous halflings, vile and evil elves, etc. There can be a very noble and kind xvart, maybe, but the odds are astronomically low.

So what you are saying is... go for the eyes boo, go for the eyes! Yah!
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited July 2013
    Am I the only one who doesn't feel bad? I'm just a tired wandering adventurer looking for a place to rest. In the distance I see a small village with what looks like hobbits running around. As I get closer the little blue buggers pull out weapons and charge me with maniacal reckless abandon.

"You monster!! You kill us when we do nothin' to you. Well, Ursa kill you. Ursa protect us because Ursa kind."

"You and your bear picked the wrong Bhaalspawn, 'Papa Smurf'. Luckily I had meta-gamed your sudden, yet inevitable attack and set a number of traps about your pathetic village. Ursa is.already.dead."
    Post edited by EntropyXII on
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Xvarts are Chaotic Evil by nature. As I have pointed out, even their deity got his powers from betraying the Demon lord (Graz'zt) he served and stabbing him in the back. There is nothing worth being redeemed here.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2017
    I know those little buggers seem awfully cute, untill they just reveal their murderous and suicidal nature.

So this party was tired from day's travel and it was getting dark. Thus like any seasonable adventures, they decided to seek cover from a cozy looking village which seemed to be full of cute looking harmless smurfs. Then without any provcation, the harmless looking smurf guard near the village entrance draws his silly looking short sword and comes running against party seasoned adventures all by himself. Even Minsc would be puzzled by such stupidity.

Ofcourse if Baldur's gate was done today, you would have a long discussion with the xvart village chief why they're hostile against every living thing out there. :wink:

Post edited by Caradoc on
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    I always thought I would get a rep loss for killing them, but since they attack on sight it kind of feels justified to kill any of them.
  • bearcattonybearcattony Member Posts: 32
    SCS buffs up the evil Smurf village and actually becomes a strategy battle when faced with shamans and warriors.
  • AaronnAaronn Member Posts: 3
    Flashheart wrote: »
    Just a quick note: All the Xvarts in the village are male. I'm guessing that Xvartette (a pun on Smurfette) was out 'doing other things' in some other Xvart village somewhere. ;)

It's amusing to see the Xvarts village keeping it an all-male affair, but I can't help but wonder about Xvartette's adventures in other Xvart communities.
  • AaronnAaronn Member Posts: 3
    Invisibility and/or stealth. While they are intelligent, it doesn't make them any less hostile to outsiders. And Xvarts are notoriously territorial.

The concept of invisibility and stealth combined with the intelligence of Xvarts adds an intriguing layer to their character. It's fascinating how their territorial nature and hostility towards outsiders persist, despite their intelligence.