Skip to content

killing Rauic Garthas

Any guidance on killing Rayic Garthas? having trouble reaching past his defenses.
This questcomes from the cleric Edwin @Mae'Var's guildhouse.
i am wondering if this quest is too tough for my 5 person party at their current levels Jaheria is level 8 druid , level 7 fighter weilds a sling +2, and +2 bullets with some spells. Yoshimo, my temp thief at level 11, has a shortbow+2 and +2 arrows.Minsc , level eight has a +2 sword, composite bow and +2arrows. Amoen, level 8 cleric with level 4 spells, a +2 mace. Me, I am a barabarian with two level 2 swords. All are armored up and buffed up withavailable spells.
But Rayic gets the best of me every time.
I cannot seem to keep the play level at Story level in BGEE 2 from Grand Old Games , which wold be an out.
So any tips ?
should I just leave this alone and come back later when i fill out my group with Keldorn as plannned. My party is a good party, but I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

Comments

• CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    You need mage and breach. Also, try Jaheira insect swarm.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    equip everyone with ranged weapons, tell rayic you'll leave and use the time that buys you to spread your party as wide as possible, then start launching.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    There is enough space to the right hand edge of the room for several people to wait out of sight. If you head there immediately while he is still neutral you can get out of sight before he goes hostile. If you summon some skeletons and then send them in against him one at a time (so they aren't all destroyed by a death spell) they will sort him out without any need for your party to even get involved (surrounding him and shooting also works, but with the risk of someone dying).

Alternatively, if you want to get cheesy, then just use Yoshimo to lob in traps from out of sight (you can rest in the room below to keep trying that - also remember that Yoshimo can set traps very close to an enemy if he's blind at the time).

A melee attack by everyone from the start is also likely to succeed, though you should carry non-magical weapons to switch to when Rayic uses PfMW.
  • gorris75gorris75 Member Posts: 60
    Going to give your answers a try ." What is he doing to hurt me?" 1. Puts a protective orb around himself; 2. casts a magic spell on some of my party to get them to wander around doing nothing; 3, conjures up a blade spider and another spectral thing to attack. he seems invulnerable to my attacks, melee or magical.
    so, i will throw everything you all suggested and report back. Thanks a bunch. Gorris 75
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cast Insect Swarm aaaand done. This works for about 80% of the game.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    gorris75 said:

Going to give your answers a try ." What is he doing to hurt me?" 1. Puts a protective orb around himself; 2. casts a magic spell on some of my party to get them to wander around doing nothing; 3, conjures up a blade spider and another spectral thing to attack. he seems invulnerable to my attacks, melee or magical.
    so, i will throw everything you all suggested and report back. Thanks a bunch. Gorris 75

So wait until the protective orb runs out, keep out of sight either as @Grond0 says out of sight in the room or run downstairs.

Don't take the whole party upstairs so then he can't target them, just trigger the dialog with one.

Summons are your friends to deal with summons and use ranged attacks.

Use the pause button a lot and read the log of what he is casting, then you will know what to counter with. For instance, is it fear or confusion that he's casting at the party?
    If it's fear then as a barbarian you can rage and be immune or cast protection from fear.
    Confusion is harder so keep the party spread out so it doesn't catch everybody.

One thing I remember from that fight is he casts sunfire/sunray (can't remember the name) centered on himself so that's why it's good to keep away and let summons take the fireball.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    There will definately be tougher mage fights in the game, so I strongly suggest taking the advice of reading and pausing so you can learn what spells are being cast, and read up on how to deal with the ones that bother your party.

With reload, dying is actually a learning experience, so don't worry about dying! Heck, you can save before the fight and retry it until you're satisfied that you've mastered it before moving on.

Protip: Keldorn and Korgan are both very strong vs enemy casters.
    He seems invulnerable because he uses both protection from magic weapons and protection from normal missiles - the combination means that you can't hurt him with missiles at all until PFMW runs out (which is only 4 rounds). However, you can hurt him with non-magical melee weapons as I referred to before. With lots of attackers you can beat through stoneskins quite quickly, though as you've noted if you take too long about this you may be affected by chaos (and he also has instant death spells). Standing off and using summons is a safer alternative if you want to be careful.

Re the comment about insects, Insect Plague is a 5th level druid spell (so Jaheira is not high enough level to cast this yet in your game) and is an absolute mage killer. Once you do have it, Just remember to cast it not at the mage directly, but a target close to him (whether friend or enemy) and the spell will spread to the mage. If you cast it directly at the mage then defensive spell protections can block it or turn it back on you, but those defenses don't react to the spread of the spell when targeted on someone else.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited August 2017
    Use Cloudkill.

Edit: I realise now that your party is probably too low level. Damn, I'm all out of ideas.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Use Cloudkill.

Edit: I realise now that your party is probably too low level. Damn, I'm all out of ideas.

Wands, wands, and more wands.

Love the honesty of your username. Forgotten Realms must have a severe air polution problem I'm sure by now.
  • gorris75gorris75 Member Posts: 60
    gorris75says thanks for all the help. Going to work at it and beat this guy dead--I hope.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Forgotten Realms must have a severe air polution problem I'm sure by now.

I'll tell Minsc to wash Boo tonight.

And Jan.
  • squirossquiros Member Posts: 33
    use a protection from magic scroll on enemies. this will not only strip all protections instantly, it will prevent all future spells from working. works great on liches too.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    squiros said:

use a protection from magic scroll on enemies. this will not only strip all protections instantly, it will prevent all future spells from working. works great on liches too.

Damn. 18 years on, and I never would have thought of that ...
    There are only 2 of those scrolls in the game though, so it's a limited tactic for low-level parties. At higher levels you can get round the restriction by using an image to do the casting.