Skip to content

+3 Pixie Prick/+2 Stiletto of Demarchess saving throw bonuses?

I seem to recall reading somewhere many moons ago that one or both of these weapons give a saving throw bonus versus the 'on hit' effect, but I cannot find the post.

Can anyone confirm or not confirm this?

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Bump.

Am I mistaken on this? I am playing a dagger-using thief this run, so hope so :)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    You remembered correctly. Pixie Prick +3 applies the special hit effect if the target fails their save with a +6 bonus.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited August 2017
    It looks like the Pixie Prick does, but the Stiletto does not. Here's what I found in Near Infinity.

Pixie Prick:

Type: Sleep (39)
    Target: Preset target (2)
    Power: 0
    Unused: 0
    Wake on damage?: No (1)
    Timing mode: Instant/Limited - 0
    Dispel/Resistance: Dispel/Bypass resistance (3)
    Duration: 12
    Probability 1: 100
    Probability 2: 0
    Unused: 00 00 00 00 30 15 40 00 h
    # dice thrown/maximum level: 0
    Dice size/minimum level: -1
    Save type: ( Paralyze/Poison/Death(2) )
    Save bonus: 6
    Special: 0

Stiletto of Demarchess:

Type: Paralyze (109)
    Target: Preset target (2)
    Power: 0
    IDS value: ANYONE - 0
    IDS target: EA.IDS (2)
    Timing mode: Instant/Limited - 0
    Dispel/Resistance: Dispel/Bypass resistance (3)
    Duration: 12
    Probability 1: 20
    Probability 2: 0
    Unused: 00 00 00 00 2c 15 40 00 h
    # dice thrown/maximum level: 0
    Dice size/minimum level: 0
    Save type: ( Paralyze/Poison/Death(2) )
    Save bonus: 0
    Special: 0
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Maaaannn. :* Why that lil no good, bent up, rusty needled ol hunk o junk, no wonder my ol crooks saw it work so rarely. Many a time I looked to gettin that PP for my shoplifters. :sB)
    Noted, now that is.
    @argent77 , @luskan , well that is discouraging to say the least. -2 or -3 ok maybe, but - 6?!?!

I guess either dagger would be ok low-level or early game, but their usefulness seems to go away quickly against the other daggers becoming available around the same time, such as Boomerang (throwing @ 2 APR or melee @ 2 APR) and even Jade Fang (Hexxatt quest) or the Dagger of Venom in Neera's quest.

Oddly, even after being so powerful in BG1, DoV still seems one of the better early/mid-game daggers in BG2.
    I also noticed that Pixie Prick checks the target's race, as elf and half-elf has some % sleep immunity.

Both the boomerang and firetooth throwing daggers can be used as melee as well. Firetooh would be my choice for pretty much the rest of the game once you get it.
    @luskan , do you remember if poisoned throwing daggers are widely available? I seem to recall they are in some stores, but in limited amounts.

Those would be a great complimentary ranged option with Fire Tooth I would think.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I loved those little daggers. I always bought them all straight out the gate, having to pay Rayic a visit in the process. But yeah, they are very limited. A quick little 3 or 4 'store' run (IIRC) around Athkatla and you have them all in the game I think (3 or 4 fences and Maheer IIRC) for chump change. Most of those are in the slums.

I was glad to see them added in SoD. We had the arrows n darts in BG, should have had some throwing daggers as well.
    @Aerakar There are five stores that sell them:

Weaponsmith - Waukeen's Promenade (Maheer)
    Arledrian - Slums - 2nd floor of Gaelan Bayle's house
    Storekeep - Slums - Outside between the Jansen house and the Copper Coronet at night.
    Black Market Thief - The Docks - Shadow Thief Guild basement
    Rattell the Fence - The Docks - Mae'Var's Guildhall once you take it over as your stronghold