Skip to content

Ideal tenser mage?

I want to try a mage that basically turns into a fighter for part of the fight. I'd want to have something like black blade of disaster, chain contingency into some protection spells, then tenser's transformation.

Anyone have ideas about what optimum equipment/spells to use here are? I'm thinking the EE dragon disciple class would be my ideal choice because even with less spells, they still have better protections/resistances.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Solo or with party?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, it'll help a tad if you play from BG1, as you get +1 str, and 19 is way better than 18. If you can't, just use a belt.

I'd favor a pure sorcerer, but you might feel safer with the extra HP. The Fire Resistance isn't exactly bad either, I suppose. Are you going to use stuff like Chill Touch, or just the various spell weapons?
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    DreadKhan said:

Well, it'll help a tad if you play from BG1, as you get +1 str, and 19 is way better than 18. If you can't, just use a belt.

I'd favor a pure sorcerer, but you might feel safer with the extra HP. The Fire Resistance isn't exactly bad either, I suppose. Are you going to use stuff like Chill Touch, or just the various spell weapons?

for the most part the focus should be on magical weapons, but I'm open to suggestion chill touch doesn't seem like a bad idea though.
    Balrog99 said:

Solo or with party?

Definitely with party. Love companion mods.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    You could try putting down a few webs then polymorphing into spider shape. Adding strength through a minor sequencer makes a big difference to that as well.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I wasn't sure if polymorph was too out there, but I second @Grond0 's suggestion, if you're willing to try it out. Remember, you can sequencer 2 webs with the lvl 4 sequencer.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I have plan for solo play for Dragon Disciple who will specialize in all those touch spells I never use and generally be melee-oriented. Race will be Half-Orc and I will edit the game to give it HP CON Bonus of fighter =D (no point in high CON otherwise). I expect STR 20 CON 22 by end of BG and STR 24 CON 25 by end of SoD ^_^

Starting CON 19
    Dragon Disciple +2
    Manual of Bodily Health +1
    Machine of Mad Lum +1
    Test of Fear +2

Starting STR 19
    Manual of Gainful Exercise +1
    Machine of Mad Lum +1
    Test of Wrath +2
    Deck of Many Things +1 (STR will be more fitting for this character than INT)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    In a party I'd go with Dragon Disciple for sure. If solo I'd pick a Fighter/Mage or Blade for survivability.