Skip to content

BG2 error

APhantasmAPhantasm Member Posts: 42
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Over the last few days I ran through BG1 (the original of course not the EE), I finished it last night. This morning I tried importing my characters into BG2.

K first character imported fine, the second character the moment I selected the sound set BG2 crashed with a runtime error.

I have uninstalled twice, and even went ahead and bought the GOG version. Thinking my discs were too badly scratched, and installed it. Every time it would import only one character, every subsequent character after the first came up with the runtime error.

Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Baldur's Gate II\BGMain.exe
abnormal program termination

I need helping fixing this as I am at my wits end.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not something I have ever encountered, sorry.
    Does it always crash in the same place: when selecting the soundset for the second character?

If so, you could try creating a group with a bunch of premades and then import the proper characters durin the game.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It might be trying to read all of them as protagonists (especially if they were all characters from separate single-player games). Do you get the same error with the pregenerated character imports?
  • APhantasmAPhantasm Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2012
    @Aosaw I didn't try the pregens, just characters that i ran through BG1. I was able to create characters from scratch though. So the runtime error only is happening for characters that are imported. I will try and see if it does it with a pregen. I guess its possible the save file in question is corrupted, or getting corrupted somehow.

@ajwz Yeah its happening at the same spot every time. I'm gonna try a few things and see if maybe that save file is corrupted, or getting corrupted by trying to import a different save. I will probably have to run through BG1 again though.
    K tried importing a pregen and I am getting a runtime error with them as well. Though with the pregen its happening way quicker than it is with the BG1 characters as it crashes the moment I select the pregen.
    edited September 2012
    Hrm.

Some more questions:
    1) Do you have any mods installed? If so, which ones?
    2) Have you installed the latest official patch?
    3) (I'm assuming yes, but I need to make sure) Is this for a multiplayer game you're running locally, or for a single player game?

I'm wondering now if it might have something to do with one player importing multiple characters.

(The good news is that this problem will probably not exist in BG2:EE. Yay, enhancing stuff!)
    edited September 2012
    1) Nope no mods.
    2) Currently patch not installed. Note I said currently, if you read up I mentioned uninstalling more than once. I did have the patch installed at one point and was still getting the runtime error. I have even installed differing versions of the game. I had the game on disc, installed and patched that. I also went and bought the version sold on Gog.com (thought it could be a possibility of a bad disc).
    3) Yes I was playing a multiplayer game earlier. But I have tried importing pregen into both multiplayer and single player with same results.

Its possible your right about one player importing multiple characters from a multiplayer session. Even though I was running the multiplayer session solo, I sometimes want to run a party of my creation. Sometimes its full party of my creation, most of the time I run a multiplayer session its half mine, half npc.

Either way though whatever the reason it broke the import after the first character this morning. Subsequent attempts to import came to the same results.

On BG2:EE one can only hope it is, but that is going to be down the road. Probably sometime next year at the earliest, I don't expect BG2:EE before Q2 at the earliest.
    edited September 2012
    I uninstalled and reinstalled again. It had appeared that the import feature broke when I tried to import, and uninstalling and reinstalling had appeared to fix it for one import. I don't think that is the case anymore. It appears the import feature was always broken. After reinstalling I tried importing a pregen and it still crashed with the runtime error. So pretty much I can not import, period. It must have been a fluke before that even one seemed to work.

Edit: Looks like I wasn't the only person having this problem. I found a thread on gibberlings3.net where someone had the same problem. Though they had no solution either.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=22357&hl=+runtime++error&fromsearch=1
    Post edited by APhantasm on
    edited September 2012
    Looking at that thread I noticed a link to a post on pocketplane.net

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,27691.new.html

So I looked at it, they were saying possibility of a conflict with the antivirus.

I had been intending to replace my antivirus anyways, its not compatible with Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO, and get a new one. So I went ahead and uninstalled it. I tried then to import a pregen and it worked now, with my antivirus uninstalled. I will try one of my BG1 characters now, too see if they work now.

Edit: Tried one of my BG1 characters. It imported also. Now I just need to find a new antivirus software.

Edit 2: Not sure what is up but my game just crashed, no error message or anything. It just crashed.
    Post edited by APhantasm on
    Great news that you resolved the issue!

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it doesn't cause problems with Windows (because Microsoft created it themselves).

What were you doing when your game crashed this time?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Aosaw said:

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it doesn't cause problems with Windows (because Microsoft created it themselves).

Tell that to my powerpoint presentations that keep getting their formatting scrambled when moving them between Macs and PCs.
    Hrm.

That is a problem.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I remember having crashes in the dock district at each installation of my BG2 cds. No amount of patch did the job, it was the disc >.< No error, just plain crash. Well, that's one reason for me to look up for a BG2EE :)
    On the antivirus, a lot of them don't work with WinXP 64bit. A few of the software companies never saw a reason to make an XP 64bit antivirus. And the ones that were made for 32bit XP won't install at all. I've so far only found 2 so far (Kaspersky and Avast) that works with XP 64bit. I would assume though since Microsoft put out Security Essentials that it would work with XP 64bit. So I may check it out later.

On the crashing, I was just playing the game. It was in the sewer where Haerdaelis is before you rescue him. I had already killed the wizard and was going for the planar gem when boom it crashed. I haven't crashed since then though.