Skip to content

D&D 3.5e ruleset: is it possible?

Coming back to play BG, the thing that's been bothering me most is the overly restrictive AD&D rules set. Is it possible to modify BGEE to use a set of rules closer to D&D 3.5e, like IWD2?

I know things like weapon/armor restrictions, spells, etc can be altered fairly easily. The skills system can probably be built from thief skills. Feats and multiclassing will likely pose issues, however, and may require a revamp of how leveling up works. In the end, how much power do modders have over the character creation and level up processes?

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    OH GOD PLEASE NO

Just kidding. I know it's not exactly what you requested, but WeiDU.org has a mod (in beta) that puts BG2 in the IWD2 engine. Maybe you'll find it worth checking out.

http://weidu.org/iwg2/index.html
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Impossible if you plan to add BGEE contents, unless Beamdog/Overhaul decides to release IWD2: EE.
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    In March, BG + ToTsc will be released as a mod to NwN2. :)
  • AngryFaceAngryFace Member Posts: 1
    The ports, while interesting, aren't really what I'm looking for. I was wondering if it's feasibly possible to emulate most 3.5e features within BGEE.

To my understanding, in BG2 you could alter most game objects but anything beyond that was iffy, so it was impossible to rework some core mechanics to a more 3.5-compliant state. Is BGEE any different?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Doing so would mean redesigning every monster and every character and every mechanic in the game.
    It's theoreticly possible, just highly unlikely that anyone wants that mountain of work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited August 2019
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @subtledoctor
    I like the perks idea. Could you use the existing HLA tables and just build the "perks" as effects? You'd be limited to sixteen unless it's possible to create a "next/previous page" button for the HLA screen.
    edited August 2019
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    I would love BG in DD3 or DD3.5, but this would require a total game rewrite.
    I wouldn't expect someone would try doing this after Weimer failed, at least not until GEMRB is released.
  • HolicHolic Member Posts: 66
    AngryFace said:

Coming back to play BG, the thing that's been bothering me most is the overly restrictive AD&D rules set. Is it possible to modify BGEE to use a set of rules closer to D&D 3.5e, like IWD2?

I know things like weapon/armor restrictions, spells, etc can be altered fairly easily. The skills system can probably be built from thief skills. Feats and multiclassing will likely pose issues, however, and may require a revamp of how leveling up works. In the end, how much power do modders have over the character creation and level up processes?

Hello AngryFace. I know it is been some time since you made this post, but recently I made a mod that converts Bg ruleset to that of Dnd 3.5 with some elements of Pathfinder, you can find it at https://github.com/Holic75/Baldurs-gate-dnd-3.5 . Maybe it might interest you.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Holy crap I love this! Are there plans to make it compatible with BG2:EE?
  • HolicHolic Member Posts: 66
    @Vallmyr
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes BG2:EE with 3.5 ruleset is in plans, although it might take some time. There are still some questions on how to implement certain features. For example I still do not have any idea on what to do with HLA, ideally they should be replaced with some kind of epic feats, but I do not clearly see how (I mean, I can replace them with some analogues of epic feats, but then it will conflict with the feats system implemented in the mod).