Skip to content

Wild mages - why?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me understand the appeal of wild mages. I've never really "gotten" the class.

For starters, most of what's on the wild surge table is just going to get you killed. Then, you have to spend precious spell slots on spells that reduce the chances of the very thing that's supposed to be your forte and makes your class special from happening.

Do people like the class just because of all the comedic ways to die? "Ha, ha, gated in a pit fiend that wiped my party and probably killed the entire population of the region (reload)." "Ha, ha, turned myself to stone (reload)." "Ha, ha, meant to web the archers and summoned a swarm of squirrels instead, while the archers slaughtered my party (reload)." "Ha, ha, meant to cast strength on my tank and fireballed my own party instead (reload)".

Um, yeah, totally hilarious. But I like to play a bit more seriously, with no or minimal reloads, so I would never play this class.

Does it have its defenders, and why? If not strictly for comedy, what is good about the class?

Comments

• DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2012
    Well, the appeal of such a mage does come from the fact that you are able to cast any spell in your spellbook using Reckless Dweomer. Yes, it will get you killed a lot of the time, but it will also save your ass a good amount of times.

That's the good thing about it for me. Yes, it's hilarious to spawn in 200 rabbits when you cast a fireball, but for all good intentions, every single one of your spells has a 50/50 chance to be extremely lethal or to be a joke. And for me, that is very handy when fighting say...a lich.

It's sort of a mage+ for me. A mix between Sorcerer and Mage with a huge luck factor.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited September 2012
    Wild mages can learn from any spell school, they also get the extra spell slot as specialized mages.
    Wild mages, if used wisely, can be VERY powerful due to wild surges. It's possible for a low level wild mage to do a lot of damage with a single spell. So, for the magically inclined, and those who like messing with spells, and spell combinations, the Wild mage presents an interesting alternative to the regular mage classes. Oh, and who doesn't like summoning a hoard of rats?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I followed a minimal reload thread where the player turned himself to stone at least three times during a trilogy run. From BG1 through ToB, you are going to commit suicide a number of times with almost 100 percent probablility with a wild mage. This may be fun for a player who doesn't care about reloads, but it's a disaster for a player who does.

I guess it comes down to how much you care about committing suicide with some frequency and reloading.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, at least with Neera as a Wild Mage, its not so bad. Less surges will cause an instant reload.
    @Tanthalas, true, but if I play with her, I'll be sure to have plenty of stone to flesh scrolls handy. And no buffing spells for her, unfortunately. All her spells will need to be targeted *far* away from the party.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    Everyone who plays a wild mage should use the Claw of Kazgaroth. Chances are you'll die more from save vs. death magic, but at least you will have a smaller chance of being petrified :). Just give yourself 18 constitution at the start. It won't help with Neera much though.

Nah, I kid. The worse save vs poison would probably do you in by itself.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    RPG=ROLE PLAYING! If somebody thanks it is fun great!
    Here's a question I just thought of - If Neera gates a demon into, for example, Beregost, and it kills everybody in the town, does the party take the reputation hit for every peasant it kills? Then, every good and probably neutral character in your party would leave, including Neera herself.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    No, I don't believe it works like that. The demon is not under the control of the party; the Gate spell (which the wild surge uses) conjures an independently factioned creature that then attacks everyone in the area, including your party if you aren't protected from Evil.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I played a wild mage in all of the games, "using tutu for bg1 obviously," it's very fun and interesting. But I guess if you're not a big "magic" fan, you wouldn't like it. When I first played BG1 when I was around 8 I think, I started with an invoker. As soon as I got to BG2, sorcerer. So for me, magic is just fun and the wild mage is just a fun kick in the ass.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Aosaw said:

No, I don't believe it works like that. The demon is not under the control of the party; the Gate spell (which the wild surge uses) conjures an independently factioned creature that then attacks everyone in the area, including your party if you aren't protected from Evil.

Yeah. Unfortunately (or luckily, in this case), the game engine doesn't make the inhabitants of Beregost call you out for unleashing a monster from the Nine Hells upon them. Well, who would be left to do this anyway, when the whole village has been wiped :D
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    lots of reloading in this game, so adding death by wild surges reloads probably wouldnt significantly alter the global picture. Lots of stuff in bg1 which kills quickly. Crits and poison mostly.

Aosaw said:

Yeah. Unfortunately (or luckily, in this case), the game engine doesn't make the inhabitants of Beregost call you out for unleashing a monster from the Nine Hells upon them. Well, who would be left to do this anyway, when the whole village has been wiped :D
    Umm I'm pretty sure when I summoned a demon as a wild mage in beregost accidentally, and he started killing commoners left, right and centre that I was losing reputation because of that. This was in BGT.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I wonder if they are a going to change the wild surge tables.

BUT yes, Wild Mages are there for comedic effect. In practice, they are specialized mages who's opposed school is reliability.

The chances something goes horribly wrong is not nearly as bad as you make it out, btw. You only roll on the wild surge table on a Nat 1, so it's as likely to happen as a critical miss. There are only about 5 rolls on the wild surge table that are reload worthy in and of themselves, then maybe another 5 which are "significantly" detrimental, and then maybe another 3 or 4 on top of that which are "bad" in that the spell does nothing. Then maybe another 2 which simply increase the odds those bad things happen.

If you rely on Reckless Dwoemer, then yeah you're gonna see bad things happen a lot more. But the chance of a catastrophic failure are pretty small. I don't know how to calculate the odds, but you need to roll 5% and then only 10% of the time beyond that are you going to "need" to reload.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The problem also lies in changing an important spell that, had it worked, would have had a crucial impact on the battle... but instead you make all weapons in the area glow.
    I prefer the swirl effect personally.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @sandmanCCL To calculate the odds of several mutually independent events all happening, multiply their individual probabilities together. For your numbers, it would be 0.05 (surge) x 0.10 (really bad effect) = 0.005 or a 1 in 200 chance of severely detrimental outcomes per spell.

I think the reset-worthy effects are more like 5% of the table though. So 1 in 400.
    Lemernis said:

The problem also lies in changing an important spell that, had it worked, would have had a crucial impact on the battle... but instead you make all weapons in the area glow.

Personally I always run with two arcane casters. One of them is buffy, the other is blasty.

Wild Mages serve best in the blasty roll. Typically, overt damage is the least important thing your mage can do. If your fireball fails to cast, it's not a big deal. If that haste fails to cast, that could be big trouble.

It's why I'm such a huge fan of Aerie. She's SO GOOD at being my buffy.

@Roller12, lots of people complete BG1 all the time with no reloading. It just takes knowledge of what can kill you and the strategic and tactical ability to be prepared for all contingencies.

@Elminster, if using gate in a crowded town does indeed cause reputation loss, I think that a lot of people are going to be pissed off when Neera accuses them of being evil and leaves the party over her own spell misfire. I do know from experience that innocents killed by party members under charm, confusion, or chaos do indeed cause the reputation loss, and I have had the experience of being annoyed and pissed off by a party member leaving after they themselves killed innocent bystanders.

@Jalily, I think your and @sandmanCCL's estimate of the chances of disaster is low. Critical misses are going to happen on every map of the game. And this issue brings up another issue of how the random number generation in the game program works - I and many other people are convinced that critical misses come up far more often than 5% of the rolls. And even if your 400 to 1 figure is absolutely correct, how many times will you roll the dice during a total run of even just the BG1 portion of the game? Quite a bit more than 400 times, unless you are severely restricting spellcasting from the wild mage. (She only casts as a last ditch, desperate, "Hail Mary" play.)

Also, @sandmanCCL's estimates of the number of suicide events on the wild surge table is *very* low in my opinion, as the "suicide" outcome is highly situational, and therefore constitutes a by-definition unsolvable chaotic equation of infinite variables. Accidentally casting a fireball or a meteor swarm while attempting to cast an AoE far away from the party could actually have a favorable outcome, but casting it on party members or self while at low level is suicide. That means every invisibility, mirror image, stoneskin, blur, mage armor, spirit armor, spell immunity, spell deflection, minor globe of invulnerabiltiy, fireshield, coldshield, mantle, absolute immunity, and any other defensive spell of any level is potential suicide. The chances and means for disaster boggle my mind.

Four hundred to one? Over time, even over one map, the chances of suicide by magic approach one hundred percent, in my opinion.
    If you're just looking at chance per playthrough, then yeah. It's going to happen, and it's ALWAYS at the worst possible time.

But that's half the fun.

Also in my estimation of fatal flaws, I actually factored in fireballs and stuff as detrimental outcomes. 5 of the outcomes are absolutely reroll worthy, and another 5 (the fireballs and such) are probably going to set you back pretty big, then you have another 5 or so where absolutely nothing happens and that could be pretty detrimental.

If you play like I do where you have multiple casters, simply relegate the important things to your other caster. If you're relying on that wildmage to the important things wizards can do for your party, you're kind of boned. If you use them to do things that you kind of except to fail anyway (hold spells, direct damage, etc.) they end up being less of a headache.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    I agree with the OP. Wild mages make the game less tactical, and more random. I never play them. Although, I WILL play Neera, at least on my first playthrough of EE.
    @SandmanCCL, I see what you're saying, and your invocation of Murphy's Law is especially insightful and fun. And I, like @Linkamus, might play with Neera just to get to know her as an NPC character. But I won't play with her any time I care about reloading...and my nature is to care a lot about reloading whether I want to or not. It just plain *bugs* me, and interrupts my immersion and suspension of disbelief to have to reload. Either I survive my adventure in the land of "Once Upon a Time", or I don't.

One thing I haven't seen any arguments against - my position that Neera or any other wild mage is a handicap to the party, and not an asset. Either playing a wild mage or taking one into your party is a means to laugh and have parody in your game, with reloading in almost every battle, or it is a way to make the game more difficult, as you will be wasting a party slot on a character who cannot fulfill her job function. Her every cast of a spell risks party wipe. I still don't see a reason for the class other than comedy or as a difficulty-increasing handicap to your party.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

One thing I haven't seen any arguments against - my position that Neera or any other wild mage is a handicap to the party, and not an asset. Either playing a wild mage or taking one into your party is a means to laugh and have parody in your game, with reloading in almost every battle, or it is a way to make the game more difficult, as you will be wasting a party slot on a character who cannot fulfill her job function. Her every cast of a spell risks party wipe. I still don't see a reason for the class other than comedy or as a difficulty-increasing handicap to your party.

Make sure to tell Neera that she's a burden if you ever try to romance her, let me know how that goes.

Haha, I kid. I actually completely agree with you, thank you for posting this thread, I've always felt the same way. There's also some good points in here, so I'm looking forward to running her with these different things in mind now.
    It's not nearly as risky as you're saying, though, bel. That's the thing. I've used Wild Mages before and found that wild surges that forced me to reload were rare. Wild surges that put me in a predicament because of a badly timed solar flare popping off on my guy were also pretty rare.

While there is that chance of catastrophic failure, remember there is also the chance of serendipitous success. Ever seen a skull trap cast at x4 your caster level? It's pretty hilarious. It's also pretty funny when you get something like gems to spawn. "I better go invisibl- OOH SHINIES!"

In BG:EE, I don't see them really coming into their own because half the fun is using your level 1 spell slots on Reckless Dweomer and hoping you get that Disintegrate to go off. I guess it means you have more cloudkills per day? That ain't so bad. If the dice gods are with you.

But yeah for the most part they are pretty gimmicky. You guys all probably know by now I'm generally a fan of playing the game hardcore: I die and it's game over, Sarevok/Irenicus wins. Wild mages are the antithesis of that, and as such are not recommended for a serious "gatta go fast, gatta win!" mindset playthrough. If anything, they are the most fun classes if you are planning on doing any sort of playthrough where you describe what happens in a Let's Play style, simply because it breaks up the monotony of "I shot my fireball wand at a bunch of kobolds. All dead. Dead kobolds."
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    In short, the extra spell slots without sacrificing spells from another school is the main reason why people play Wild Mages. People also like seeing the "interesting effects" that can happen with Wild Surges.
    edited September 2012

...One thing I haven't seen any arguments against - my position that Neera or any other wild mage is a handicap to the party, and not an asset. Either playing a wild mage or taking one into your party is a means to laugh and have parody in your game, with reloading in almost every battle, or it is a way to make the game more difficult, as you will be wasting a party slot on a character who cannot fulfill her job function. Her every cast of a spell risks party wipe. I still don't see a reason for the class other than comedy or as a difficulty-increasing handicap to your party.

What @sandmanCCL said.

The chance of a wild surge is 1 in 20. A third of the surge results are clearly beneficial in combat. Roughly a third have no serious negative consequence in combat, but the desired spell does not fire. And about a third are decidedly bad outcomes. So it's only a 1.6% chance that something seriously bad will happen. Actually, the seriously unwelcome outcomes number around one fourth. So it's more like a 1.25 percent chance of something very bad resulting for any spell cast.

In any event, there's a 3% chance that the spell will be either an unexpected dud or disaster. And some of those dud results are even good, such a gems for the caster--just not directly helpful for combat purposes.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437

@Roller12, lots of people complete BG1 all the time with no reloading. It just takes knowledge of what can kill you and the strategic and tactical ability to be prepared for all contingencies.

Not really. All it takes is a willingness to exploit and suspending immersion. For example a party of fighters sniping mobs one by one exploiting fog of war will rampage through the game, where a party of fighters, actually charging into melee, like they are supposed to do, will face certain deaths.

Roller12 said:

Not really. All it takes is a willingness to exploit and suspending immersion. For example a party of fighters sniping mobs one by one exploiting fog of war will rampage through the game, where a party of fighters, actually charging into melee, like they are supposed to do, will face certain deaths.

And if you play with the SCS mod installed the enemies are scripted to behave much more intelligently. Eg, they will use calls for help when one of them is under attack. So no more snipering enemies one-by-one at the periphery of the fog of war. They'll come charging after you.