Skip to content

The diaries of... [O_Bruce's roleplaying playhtoughts thread]

Hi and salutations, fellow forumities.

As you can see, I've decided to create a thread for my playthroughts, where I try my very best to roleplay my characters. I plan to write updates in a form of journals, or more precisely, in fragments of journal of the character I play as.

About future playhtoughts, they will differ regarding rules. Some might be minimal-reload, some might be no-reload, some might contain optional rules... Things like that. I am also not sure about how frequent the updates will be, since I am also not sure how much time will I have to play in following months.

Also, one thing. I will most likely do one playthrough at a time, to avoid situation in which, for example, I am forced to install and uninstall current mods just to do update on other playthorugh.

I decided to start with something relatively simple....

The diaries of Nonabdel

Type: minimal-reload challenge
Mods: no

Name: Nonabdel
Alignment: Lawful Good
Class: Cleric of Tyr

Strength: 17
Dexterity: 15
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 13
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 15

Quick info:
As a foster child of Gorion, Nonabdel's original name was supposed to sound "Abdel", but his foster father had very bad opinion on such a name for reasons unknown. Earlier in his youth, Nonabdel wanted to become a warrior, and thus locard guards were kind enough to train him at times. It was only later when Nonabdel started to appreciate the importance of wisdom and spirituality in everyday life. His decision about becoming cleric of Tyr was amade after he met and had inspiring conversation with one of Maimed God's priests that visided Candlekeep. Since that day, Nonabdel considered himself a follower of Tyr.

----------

That was unexpected, to say at least. My foster father told me that we are to leave Candlekeep today. He gave me some gold to buy whatever I might need for this sudden journey. From what Gorion gave me, I could afford to buy a mace, medium shield, helmet, sling, some bullets and solid leather armor. I am little concerned about that armor. It doesn't provide excellent protection, but it being made of leather will not attract attention of bandis, who are after anything made of iron lately. We have an Iron crisis, after all.

Gorion was right, we are not safe in Candlekeep anymore. Someone was after my life! Thanks Tyr that I had some lessons from the guards in the past, for I could easily defend myself. Karan and Parda, two of my teachers, were almost expecting something like that to happen. I need to go to my foster father at once.

Leaving Candlekeep was harder than I had anticipated. I had to leave Imoen, my childhood friend who always played the role of a younger sister. I will miss her company. May the God of Justice watches over her.

What a tragedy!

We were ambushed tonight! The armoured figure, almost like living, intimidating piece of armour, was after me and demanded Gorion to hand me over... My foster father ordered me to flee, as it wasn't an opponent I could be any help against... As I run, I looked back and saw Gorion getting pierced by this monster! I would like to avenge my father, but I knew that if even Gorion's magicks were not enought, so would be my skills... But, whoever the murderer it, I will face him one day and bring justice of Tyr upon him!

Lately, my life is full of surprises. Imoen left Candlekeep as well and tracked me and Gorion! Imoen told me, while holding back her tears, that she was sorry about Gorion and that she read the letter on his desk the other day. Perhaps the letter could still be found on... on his body.

The letter was containing the warning and advice to leave Candlekeep at once. It was signed only as "E". I didn't have time to wonder, who this "E" is. What matter was that we buried Gorion, here, in the wildeness. It surely is not good enough burial for man such as him, but at least he has recieved the necessary blessing. Now, I told Imoen that we have to reach the Friendly Arm Inn, where Gorion's friends, Khalid and Jaheira currently were.

On our way to the inn we met Kolossed, the hermit and shortly after two shady figured, who offered us "help". They were not looking trustworthly, so I refused.

On our way, an old man has approached us. He seemed very... strange.

Finally, we have reached the Friendly Arm Inn, but shortly after we were attacked by a man who claimed to wait for someone named Nonabdel! His foul magicks prevented me from battling him, but fortunately Imoen managed to shoot him down, while she suffered some serious injures as well. Thank Tyr she was alive! I treated her wounds, while explaining to guards what happened. Luckily, there were witnesses who were able to confirm my words. I was free to go.

As you can see, Imoen here recieved 6 point of damage total from magic missiles, the minimal ammount possible. Thanks to this, she survied.

Mental note: rude half-orc named Dorn could not be one of Gorions friends...

Finally, we made contact with Khalid and Jaheira. They turned out to be a rather odd married couple, but they friendship with Gorion was undeniable. They quickly realized what has happened and decided to give the old man one last service in traveling with me.

Khalid was a warrior with some self-esteem issues, while I saw Jaheira as counterbalance to that. They bought me a splint armor, saying that, iron crisis or not, it will be safer for me this way. Imoen also recieved a short sword for her own protection. Right now, I need a rest...

PS. As you can see (screenshots) I play in Polish version of the game. And somehow, without me changing files or installing unofficial fix for it, I have original Polish voiceovers by CD Project. I don't recall any big update for that, and I doubt that my former files were untouched after I was forced to install new oporating system on my PC.

If something was offcialy done with this, then you have my sincere thanks, Beamdog!

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I am enjoying your diary account of your adventures. Your choice of framing for your screenshots is a nice touch. :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The great tragedy has happened.... Recently, I was changing my operation system, so after making copies of the most important files I formated my hard drive all clear and then installed new Windows... only after which I realized that I forgot to copy anything that was in "documents", which include saves, screenshots and so on...

Like this, Nonabdel's adventure cannot continue :(

Now excuse me, while I direct myself to the nearest galley and then start making circles around lake for few hours...
    Update post

Hi everyone. I have decided that I will use my signature character im ny new run, but I will start my playthrought this weekend. There is several reasons as for that, one being that I am inconsistent regarding this character and I would like to have her set once and for all. Second reasons is that I decided to severely limit my time spend on gaming on days that are not weekends.

Therefore, I will play games for my playthroughts (here, on Pokemon thead and on Diablo thread) only in weekends and hopefully have enough material to update on at least once per week.
    Meet Areina!

Before I start describing the playthorught, some data:

- This is minimal-reload type of playthrough
    - Core Rules
    - Mods installed. Most notably SCS (mainly pure AI enhancements), Spell Revisions, BG1NPC, Unfinished Buisness, few NPCs mods (Sirene, Vynd etc.), some quests mods, but not really big ones like SoA.

Race: Human
    Class: Diviner
    Alingment: Chaotic Good (I was about to do Neutral Good, but I changed my mind at the last moment)
    Weapon Proficiency: Quarterstaff (1)
    Known Spells:
    - Idenfity
    - Call Familiar
    - Chromatic Orb

Personality and Traits: From the young age, Areina was impressed by her foster father's craft and magic and her natural curiousity led her to desire to become a mage, just like her foster father. Gorion was kind enough to help her with her studies and taught her some basics. Gorion had noticed that the girl was talented enough to became a generalist mage, but Areina was too impatient for that, directing herself to specialization. Divination was her school of choice, and that went well with her innate curiousity and desire to seek knowledge. For that reason, she also held Priests of Oghma in huge regard.

Areina had rather happy childhood, to Ulraunt's discontent. In her earlier years in Candlekeep, she was huge troublemaker with her best friend, Imoen. Just ask Khelben or Winthroop about that... Anyways. besides Imoen, Areina had Alec as a good friend, but the boy in question was often way too busy with chores for that old fart Ulraunt.

Areina was often Imoen's playmate, but as the time progressed, the future Diviner stated to spend more time with heavy tomes, thus having much less time for physical activities. As result, Areina was not physically strong, she was not even as quick, agile and healthy as Imoen was. But that's how the world goes: you can't gain anything without sacrificing something else in return.

As for her future aspirations, Areina wanted to be traveling mage and see the world and its mysteries first-hand. And someday, settle down and teaching of what she had learn to others.

Little did she know, despite her divination skills, that she was about to go to journey....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but the actual playthrough description will happen probably tommorow. It's just that I don't have much time daily to write, and writing role-playing playthrought is much more time-consuming that just describing what you did in-game. It's kinda like telling a story, almost like writing a fanfiction. And I don't want to write bad fanfiction.

Please Willson bear with me. On the birht side, future updates will be more frequent than I planned, since judging how "much" time I have for writing, the updates will be smaller but more regular. Think of it as of me writing just something every day, but not much for a time.

PS. No portrait shown on its own (although you'll see it in future screenshots), since I haven't hear neither "yes" nor "no" from the artist regarding if I can use it.
    Diary of Areina, Part I

What I learned and experienced today was unexpected, to say the least.

My foster father has interrupted me in the middle of my studies and announced to me that we are to journey away from Candlekeep, as soon as the sun sets. He gave me some gold to buy all the supplies I think I will need (although I have an impression that Fuller will need a quiver of belts again as well...), then meet him in the afternoon.

I really don't know what to think of it. Gorion's behaviour as of late is a riddle to me, and being elderly mage he is, his mind is well protected, I can't possibly learn anything by using my modest skills. Reagardless, I knew I had things to do. So I set out, directing myself to the Candlekeep Inn.

As allways, my wondeful familiar, Nebby the Pseudodragon kept me company. Monks are used to seeing such creature on daily basis, but that cannot be said about guests. I try to tell Nebby again and again to hide inside my bag, but the little rascal is too stubborn. I love him anyways. And the bond I share with it protects me.

I've bought what I needed at Winthrop's and I decided to look around, since there is a lot of time before the sun sets. I've helped Lindla and Sir Trun's with their troublesome situation, fixing the uncertainty between them, fetched an Identiy Scroll, let Nebby hunting some rats in the warehouse for Reevor, fetch Fuller quiver of belts (I called it!) and Hull his sword (how dare he drink while on duty!). I also met and talked with Alec.

Alec find out that I will be heading away from Candlekeep, possibly to never return and he was very sad about that. I know that he idolizes me, but the way I see it, he just needs to be more confident in himself. I know that he'll become a wonderful man. His more warm feelings for me also aren't a mystery, and nobody needs Divination to see it. Unfortunately, I cannot give him that back...

After some more chores, I sensed that I should go back to Gorion. I felt like the danger is luring in the Candlekeep even right now...

Before that, I talked with Imoen. She too seemed to know about my journey, even though I'm sure Gorion would never tell her. I think she probably overheard my foster father. That's just like her. Regratefully, I have to leave her in Candlekeep. I know Gorion would never let her come with us. I just feel it.

Bye, my friend.. Now, let me head to Gorion to find out what the future will bring.

---

I cant believe what happened!

We were ambushed in the middle of the night! Two archers, one woman and... this armoured figure, covered with spikes in ghastly helmet... What was wore, they were clearly after me. I was scared, the only thing I could possibly do was to toss Chromatic Orb, but... Gorion ordered me to run. In a voice I had never heard before... I had to comply...

And now, Gorion is dead!

I don't know who is after me and why... But focusing on the matter brings only darkness to my mind, a darkness darker than the blackest pit, deeper than the deepest night... Yet, in this dire situation, there were two soures of hope...

On of which was Imoen, who followed us from Candlekeep. She just couldn't leave us alone, even knowing that without... Gorion... We cannot go back to Candlekeep. The second source of my hope is Friendly Arm Inn, where my late foster father told me his friends await me.

With a heavy heart, I returned to the place of the massacre and together with Imoen we buried Gorion's body in provizational way... He deserved better. Much better. But we cannot stay here any longer...

The hermit Kolssed gave us some directions and we listened to it, notably evading two suspicious inviduals on the road. Not too long after that, and after dealing with some Gibberlings, a mysterious elder approached us with a strange question... He seemed familiar and stranger at the same time, and something told me he was much more powerful that he let on... The Friendly Arm Inn was on the way north...

Finally, we reached it. And I am so tired...

---

Things are getting more and more disturbing.

Something told me to be ready when approaching the entrance to the Inn, and I was right. A not-so trustworthy stranger asked me about my buisness here, and seemed to recognize my face and he knew about my place of origin. When, sensing danger, I denied, he attacked us!

He began incantration, probably Mirror Images, but he didn't see Nebby jumping out from my bag and scratching his eyes! So much for his magicks, especially when guards helped us. The man died, and after brief interrogation I was allowed to take a look at his belongings. A bounty notice. About me, nonetheless!

On the other hand, the wizard had his spellbook. I need to study it and keep Imoen from it. Even if I was archamge, I couldn't predict what Imoen might do with it...

The inside of the Inn was large and cozy. So many people here. I've been greeted by worn travelers, meet one of Ragefast's nephews, there was a man who attemped (and failed) to woo me and I was even mistaken by a waitress by a half-orc warrior!

Half-orc warrior here, on the Sword Coast, that is not beeing actively hunted? Society is moving forward it seems...

To the important matters - I found Khalid and Jaheira. Both were matching Gorion's description, and both recognized me from Gorion's description as well. They were, as I was, deeply saddened at my foster father's death, and Jaheira swore a revenge to anyone who was behind that. Me, I want to find out what is behind this and who is after my head first. Revenge won't return Gorion to me. Not to Imoen...

Jaheira was skilled druid, with considerable fighting skills and was a natural leader. Khalid was rather a timid person who lacks confidence in himself, but Jaheira claims he is very experienced fighter that can be relied on. I gladly welcomed their company, as Gorion would have wished...

Jaheira mentioned they intend to travel to Nashkel for the time being to investigate Iron Shortage crisis, and I must say I find this matter intriquing as well. But first, Jaheira claimed that I need to learn more about life of an adventurer and that my (and Imoen's) education will start tomorrow. As for myself, I'm so tired, physically and mentally, for now I just care for a warm bed to sleep in.

I hope I will be able to sleep more than few hours... If I managed to get any worthwile ammount of sleep at all. I must tell Nebby to stop jumping around the room and go to sleep. In my bag, if it so desire.

--------------------------------------------------------

That would be first update on Areina's travel. Sorry, if you think nothing much has happened, but writing this took me more time. It's already 7:30pm where I live and I still have some important things to do today. Well, I can live without them, but putting some activities aside will do me no good in the long run.

"When one hopes to gain something, one needs to sacrifice something in return"

On the bright side, I have much more material to report than what I did. Also, I predict updates will look like this, both the form and lenght.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I thoroughly enjoyed part 1 of your new adventure. Looking forward to part 2. It is so much fun to read other peoples role-play accounts. What their character is thinking and such. :)
    Diary of Areina part 2

And so, I alongside Imoen started to learn what does life of an adventurer require, and how you make a living out of that.

For starters, we handled a group of Hobgoblins north of Friendly Arm Inn. They were in a possession of the ring that belonged to Joia, one of the Inn's guests. These creature were not much of a threat, and the flamedance ring was returned to its rightful owner. Imoen also get more comfortable with her shortbow.

Imoen could use her skill yet again against a ogre thief. She and Khalid shooted the beast, while Nebby distracted it. My Chromatic Orb helped too. We put the ogre down and recovered a belt for Unshey. We also find a good, magical in nature, armor made of leather. It will suit Imoen well. We also got our payment. I dislike killing, but it seems it would be a necessity to survive as an adventurer. Personally, I would like to explore some places, with hidden secrets to discover...

Our next task, and learning experience for me and Imoen, is to cleanse the house in beregost out of giant spiders for Landrin. I shiver at the thought of it, but I guess I should learn how to deal with creatures like this...

---

On our way to Beregost we have seen an attacked caravan, but it was evident we came too late to do anything about it. We might have ended bandit's lifes, but that will not bring the victims back to life. I feel sick at it. Death seems to follow me...

We arrived in Beregost at last! When we searched the town for a good inn to rest, I had a feeling something unusual is going to happen. And I was right. A young, half-elven woman approached us and asked for help. It turned out that she was a Wild Mage and the Red Wizards of Thay were after her! Things were looking very bad!

I failed to predict the incoming Wild Surge though, and chaos ensured. The most powerful Red Wizard was teleported somewhere, leaving his less than competent supordinates. We were forced to kill again, but this time we managed to save a life in progress. The woman was named Neera, and she was really greateful for our help. Since there is safety in numbers and Neera has experience with magic, we allowed her to come along with us. It is good to have another arcane magic user in the party.

Now, to find a good inn....

------------------------------

Okay, another entry will be tomorrow. It's already 11:30 PM in my timezone and I need to wake up for work tommorow. I also have a problem with uploading screenshots to imgur, so I want to tackle that problem before continuing an update. Unofrunately, I have no time for that today. So, until tomorrow, hopefuly for a bigger update.
    edited November 2017
    Heads up!

I just want to notice that the topic, and the playthrough is not abandoned. However, everytime I get creative, I have to prioritize me trying to improve on my so-called artistic skills, so I don't really have much time to spend here. If I have time to goof around, I should really spend it on practice, I don't have enough of it.

I've made some decisions, however. I'll make slight adjustments to the way I'm writing this playthrough and also I'll start publishing it in one other place also. And I'm not going to bother with screenshots, managing those is a chore.

As for playthrough itself, it's quite in advanced stage of BG1. Currently Areina is
    searching for lost crusaders patrol in Siege of Dragonspear.

Ciao!

UPDATE:
    Ended up having 905 screenshots from Baldur's Gate 1. Yup, I'm definitely not going to bother with them.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
    Hello.

I've come to realization that doing theads like this are just not for me. I won't be able to update it. Therefore I would like ask moderators to delete this thread.

I would like also to apologize to those who still counted on updates here. I'm sorry, but I can't provide them.