Skip to content

Icewind Dale II graphics blah

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
So since the BG:EE was delayed I purchased IWD2 from gog.com and the graphics look ummm.. not as good as I remember. Now this could be me being used to Diablo 3 on 1920x1080 resolution so I just wanted to clarify. Also I have set it at 32bit but there's no screen resolution adjustment.

p.s. This has kinda made me second guess if pre-ordering BG:EE is going to disappoint me graphics-wise.

Comments

• SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I've tried playing all of those games. All of the IWD games, NWK, Planescape Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil and even Pool of Radiance. I've given each one a fair shot but I simply can't play any of them. Only the Baldur's Gate series, which I've been in love with since I was a child.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited September 2012
    Make sure the game is at least looking as good as it can: I've written a guide specifically to help with that. http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

1920x1080 is kind of a crappy native res to play Infinity Engine games: IWD2 is designed to be played at 800x600, and scaling from 600 to 1080 is a fractional number (1,8:1) resulting in somewhat blurry graphics. On a 1920x1200 monitor, the scaling is 2:1 which looks much sharper. You could use the widescreen mod to play at your native resolution, but it'll make everything look tiny and the UI doesn't adjust very gracefully.

Also note that unlike Icewind Dale 1 and BG2, IWD2 does not take advantage of hardware acceleration, which makes spell effects and the fog of war look much smoother in these games.

BG:EE will not be any higher-res natively than Icewind Dale 2*, but unlike IWD2 it'll scale well, UI included, across any display and at any resolution, allow dynamic zooming, and take advantage of hardware acceleration.

*By this I mean the source assets will have the same, fixed, 2d resolutions; the game engine itself will allow use of arbitrarily high resolution including retina displays on iPad and whatnot, and perform the necessary scaling as well as possible. Gah, I hope that wasn't too confusing.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Zeckul, why don't I have an IWD2 Configuration option in the folder? Also I only have a C drive...
    edited September 2012

Zeckul, why don't I have an IWD2 Configuration option in the folder? Also I only have a C drive...

Just don't install to C:\Program Files and you're fine. C:\Games would be a fine choice. There should be a file called Config.exe in the same folder as IWD2.exe.

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Look! more hidden footsteps.
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    I agree IWD2 graphics are not great by todays standard.But I think they hold up well.

On another note from your post , I respect your opinion greatly , but MY opinion of games overall is much different.I prefer overall enjoyment of the game no matter what the graphics look like.
    I got Diablo 3 , while it does have 1920 x 1080 resolution , I played the 1st 2 weeks and havent played since.Not once did I lay in bed thinking "I cant wait to go to sleep and wake up so I can play more Diablo".

While on the other hand with Icewind Dale 2 , this year I have beat it for the 5th time overall and each time I put a lot of thought in how I want my party to be and the combined skills of them all.When it 1st came out I remember falling asleep with my cloth map from the collectors edition in my bed from over thinking about the game.
    edited September 2012
    Much better Zeckul!! Thanks so much buddy, you should give the same advice to the person who posted the same complaint about BG2 ;)

Is there anyway to make it widescreen without losing the resolution?
    Roller12 said:

Look! more hidden footsteps.

Black magic bars the way... BUT THE WILL OF A TEMPLAR IS STRONGAH

Much better Zeckul!! Thanks so much buddy, you should give the same advice to the person who posted the same complaint about BG2 ;)

Is there anyway to make it widescreen without losing the resolution?

There's no way to make it widescreen correctly without changing the resolution, as 800x600 is not a widescreen resolution.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    @KryptBeowulf, there's an adapt mod for IWD that use the NWN2 engine, maybe you like it (if you have NWN2).

http://www.neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/31
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    The only way to do it these days is windowed mode.