Skip to content

InWeaponRange as a substitute for visual range

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
All right, here is an idea that should work, if that trigger works... But first I need to get to it. The situation: certain creatures have gotten their visual range reduced to an absolute minimum, worse than with blindness. I would reduce it even more, if it were possible. But these creatures still need to know when the party is in (what would have been) range of sight - 30 feet. In the past I've used Range([PC],...) with success, but now this trigger turned out to represent same old eyesight, along with all the others - except possibly InWeaponRange.

I've created a spell with effect 111 to make an invisible sword appear in their magical weapon slots. This sword does no damage and isn't going to be used anyhow, there are provisions to phase it out as soon as the party arrives on the scene - that is, gets into this weapon's range. The reach of this sword was set at 30. Creatures forced to create the sword keep away and swing - reliably if I get them in the party, but as monsters they sometimes still want to get toe-to-toe, even though I know that Ctrl + Q will reveal them to have a "Magical weapon equipped." Also neither when creating the special sword nor when I replaced it, for simplicity of testing, with the Flame Blade, did the weapon fill up the weapon slots on the inventory screen as it does when looking at a character - but this may be because I've been Q-ing Performers and Ogres, and they have no real character class, so their outward interface is very basic. Maybe that extends to the inventory. Well, I have to get past 111 to investigate the trigger. Anything to know about that effect? Why are the monsters being so stubborn about it?

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    In the past I've used Range([PC],...) with success, but now this trigger turned out to represent same old eyesight

Range() doesn't have a limit, [PC] does. So no, InWeaponRange([PC]) will have exactly the same issue with blindness as Range([PC],...).
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    How about InWeaponRange([ANYONE])?
    InWeaponRange() doesn't have a limit (?), but [] does.
    Who would InWeaponRange() refer to without an object?
    edited November 2017
    Guessing wildly, it should be Myself, but honestly I've no idea. Also not sure it would compile without an object.

Actually, if you only need it to detect the party, then ~OR(6) Range(Player1,30) ...~ ought to suffice. Had to do that myself a couple times when [PC] wouldn't work due to visibility.
    Could serve in a lurch, but what if the clever player sends in the clowns, I mean summoned creatures and skeletons? GOODCUTOFF would be perfect here...