Skip to content

I found a bug [and a bit of a work-around] - Dynaheir Quests

VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
I'm replaying Baldur's Gate 1 EE, and this time around I'm paying closer attention for quests I might've missed the first time. Thus far it's been great - as expected -, but I did run into a bug: the quests involving Dynaheir's rescue or early demise.

Having arrived at Nashkel, my party quickly recruited both Minsc and Edwin. Sadly, Minsc had nothing to say when Edwin asked for our help to kill Dynaheir, and both of them came along for the ride.

Once we were finished with the gnolls, PC approached Dynaheir, and I was given three choices:

- Kill Dynaheir (and Minsc): Ends both quests - "Rescue Dynaheir" & "Edwin and Dynaheir" -, for zero XP.
- Refuse to kill her: Ends "Edwin and Dynaheir", but DOES NOT end "Rescue Dynaheir". Party XP of 800.
- Let them sort themselves: Edwin is as good as dead, both quests are finished, but again zero XP for the party.

In this playthrough, I'm not keeping Edwin. If I choose to refuse his request to kill her, Edwin walks away and I get 800 experience, but the Rescue quest remains unfinished. Oddly enough, if I kick Minsc and Dyna and then recruit them again, I'm given 800 more experience and the Rescue Dynaheir quest is finally finished.

It's a shame the Enhanced Edition did not fix this.

Comments

• Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68
    I rescued Dynaheir in Chapter one then I picked up Minsc without her in my party and the Rescuing Dynaheir quest was white in my journal and not completeable. I reloaded and brought her with me to get Minsc and it didn’t leave a hole in my quest log.
    I let Edwin join me when she is in my party then I drop everyone off on the side of the Friendly Arm Inn in case I want to visit with them.
  • VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
    Abby_Zero said:

I rescued Dynaheir in Chapter one then I picked up Minsc without her in my party and the Rescuing Dynaheir quest was white in my journal and not completeable. I reloaded and brought her with me to get Minsc and it didn’t leave a hole in my quest log.
    I let Edwin join me when she is in my party then I drop everyone off on the side of the Friendly Arm Inn in case I want to visit with them.

If you drop them off (Dyn and Minsc), then take them back on, the quest should update. It worked for me, at least.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The journal shenanigans are a known bug. It happens randomly and isn't guaranteed on a quest by quest basis.