Skip to content

What do Str, Dex, Int and Wis actually do for attacks?

Weapons all seem to say they do for example 1d6 dmg on the quarterstaff and make no mention of what stat they use for chance to hit either...

Quarterstaff in 5th edition is 1d6+str mod(1d8+str mod if used 2 handed) and chance to hit is 1d20+proficiency bonus+str mod

As far as I can tell in NWN the main stats appear useless other than allowing feats to be unlocked that have a minimum requirement.

Comments

• JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    edited November 2017
    Short answer: It depends on quite a few factors.

Long answer:

STR is normally the main stat for AB and damage, but there are specific feats (and weapons) that use other stats.

Two-handed weapons have the additional bonus of using 1.5x STR modifier damage to attacks,

You can also wield an off-hand weapon for additional damage at a 0.5x STR damage penalty (and AB penalty, which is dependent on "Ambidexterity", "Two-Weapon Fighting" and "Improved Two-Weapon Fighting"). Improved Two Weapon Fighting even adds another additional attack per round on top of the existing one from duel wielding.

DEX is used for ranged weapon AB (but not damage). DEX can also be used for AB on certain "finessible" weapons if you take the "Weapon Finesse" feat - however, STR will still be used for damage, which is why these builds are normally supplemented with a class that offers bonus damage like "Sneak Attack".

WIS can also be used for AB on ranged weapons if you take the "Zen Archery" feat.
  • Igneous_AvesIgneous_Aves Member Posts: 41
    I bet they assume you have read the manual or played PnP.

Str adds Hit and Damage for all Melee, Two-Handing simply gives you 1.5 Str Mod to damage.

Dex is for AC and Ranged Hit, you need a Feat for Dex to Hit with only select weapons. Int and Wis do NOTHING for Melee combat for most classes. Monk use Wis for AC as well(since they generally can't use Armor), Int has some rare combat uses for a few classes(There is an epic feat that uses Int over Str for Damage but not Hit, least they had that in NwN2, don't remember if they did for NwN). I mean...really? Makes little sense that Int has melee combat uses.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206

(There is an epic feat that uses Int over Str for Damage but not Hit, least they had that in NwN2, don't remember if they did for NwN). I mean...really? Makes little sense that Int has melee combat uses.

You are thinking of Combat Insight, which does not exist in NWN 1. There was also the Swashbucklers "Insightful Strike" that had similar functionality, but again, does not exist in NWN1.