Skip to content

Gripes with the TLK system

murdrkittenmurdrkitten Member Posts: 3
edited November 2017 in Builders - Toolset
I'm not a very prominent developer in the community, but I have a few gripes with some of the current ways string descriptions are handled that I wanted to ensure were put into the air.

As someone who hosts persistent worlds, one of the most annoying things to deal with is the TLK table. If I make updates to a feat, and it is changed actively ingame, this doesn't necessarily require me to send new hak files to the players. However, for the description to depict the changes that I just made, I do have to update the TLK file and upload it onto whatever community site the server has, and then hope and pray everybody sees it.

If we aren't gaining automatic downloads/uploads for servers, it would be very useful to have an easier method for updating string files in custom content... maybe something that didn't require sending a hak every time a change or tweak is added. It would be a big help.

Thanks for reading at least!
GodJuliusBorisovflyinghtcher

Comments

• ValgavValgav Member Posts: 25
    @murdrkitten I mentioned it here on forum few times also I made request just few weeks ago on nwnx forum for this functionality.

Currently with nwnx we can do almost everything even create custom spells and give them to players. What is more important we can do this on fly adding spells to spellbooks with some magic(pun intended) of nwnx_patch. Dynamic custom spells are no problem (just prepare 20 dummy spells in 2da and use them) but we cannot change two things, icons and names.

I can build script that uses local variables on player to determine spell and say it's called Supersonic Atomic Bomb but it will be still my good old friend Dummy_spell_01 from every client perspective.