Skip to content

Instanced / Self Contained Installations

So I understand that NWN:EE is moving the Hak/Override/Portrait/Saves/vault/etc folders to the appropriate OS locations, such as in My Documents on Windows, all to be "good citizens", but will it be possible to still have instanced / self contained NWN installations as it is currently done with NWN Diamond?

What I mean is: Keeping the Hak/Override/Portrait/Saves/vault/etc folders inside the NWN installation directory. Whether by an option when you first install NWN, or as some kind of .ini setting or other solution, to still be a "good citizen" unless dictated otherwise by an "advanced user".

Why? Because some people like me have multiple installations, each with different haks, overrides, etc.

Personally I have 4 NWN installations: 3 for the different servers I play on that all require different haks/overrides/etc (There's quite a few haks of the same filename but with differing versions, so conflicts arise...), and 1 for playing whatever singleplayer module I'm playing that month.

Why is this a problem? Well, if all 4 of those installations I require were all sharing the same content folders in My Documents, then things would explode/implode.

Sometimes I also run NWN in multiple instances, to dual/multibox, or to be playing with one game while I have the other loaded up in a character creation module to be creating or revising my character build, etc. So support for that too would be nice.

Ty.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    nwmain, nwserver and nwtoolset take a command line argument: -userdirectory fullpath, which will override the location of your user data. You can create shortcuts for each contained setup that you want to have.

Note that you need to keep the working directory for them as the same location as the binaries themselves.