Skip to content

Dragon's Breath halberd +4

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Breath
As a reference for those who aren't familiar with it.

First, I will ask, is this item supposed to have +4 THACO and +4 damage?

Secondly, I will state I'm one of the testers of the BGEE beta who lobbied for Halberds to be both piercing and slashing capable, instead of just piercing. I thought that adding the second damage type to Halberds (as the original BG2 manual stated as bludgeoning, which should have been slashing, and piercing) would add to them versatility. Halberds were otherwise shafted. Originally suggested that halberds to be selectable as "Slashing" or "Piercing" in the same manner that certain throwing weapons can be designated as "Melee" or "Range." But the actual outcome was an automatic figure where it does piercing or slashing, whichever hit better or inflict more damage.

I ask the question because, when I have checked the item stats in NearInfinity, this item does not provide the +4 physical damage, and it provides +4 THACO and then only inflicts the 5 types of +1 damage.

The request I would make is to provide the +4 physical damage in addition to the five types of +1 magic damage.

Comparing this item, which relates to Dragons, to an item of similar type, the Wave +4 halberd... the Wave has the guaranteed +4 physical damage, and will occasionally do +15 water/ice damage. The dragon breathe does +1 more guaranteed damage, but falls far behind Wave. The Wave having +4 physical damage means it has much better critical hit scores also.

Aside from this, we have no halberds which are classified as "Silver" or "Cold Iron," which means no ability to slay Greater Werewolves who die by specific weapons. I think it would make some sense to request the "Wave," which is a cold-based weapon to also have the "Cold Iron" flag as well (maybe silver too). No halberds have cold iron or silver flags.

Just thought I'd pull for Halberds in BG2EE. Life caught me by surprise back when the beta for BG2EE started, so I missed on active participation there. Thanks!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the thing you have to remember about Wave is that you need two pieces to put it together, so if you're a newbie it could be possible that you dont find the pieces, so dragon's breath is a great substitute

plus my guess is that when bg2 was originally made back in the day, perhaps they though it was to powerful of a weapon to have that additional +4 to damage, since it had 5 elemental damage types on top ( and the fact that it's a +4 weapon so it can hit demi liches )

or maybe it was a complete over sight on the original dev's back in the day

but worse case scenario it seems that you know how NI works so you could always change it for yourself if need be :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Boaster said:

Aside from this, we have no halberds which are classified as "Silver" or "Cold Iron," which means no ability to slay Greater Werewolves who die by specific weapons. I think it would make some sense to request the "Wave," which is a cold-based weapon to also have the "Cold Iron" flag as well (maybe silver too). No halberds have cold iron or silver flags.

The silver and cold iron flags are not relevant for BG2EE as greater werewolves and wolfweres can be hit by any magical weapon. For BGEE, halberds are hardly left out on this score--the only items that can hit the greater wolfweres are a dagger, a long sword, and a trio of bastard swords.

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    CamDawg said:

Boaster said:

The silver and cold iron flags are not relevant for BG2EE as greater werewolves and wolfweres can be hit by any magical weapon. For BGEE, halberds are hardly left out on this score--the only items that can hit the greater wolfweres are a dagger, a long sword, and a trio of bastard swords.

Ahh, I see. Okay. I must have been mistaking. I was facing a werewolf at some point and it seemed that other items would hit him, but maybe it was just the regeneration. I kind of forgot how I resolved that battle, but I know I did.

Dragon's Breathe is a great weapon, in my opinion, but it does get the shaft compared to the Wave. Yes, the Wave is an item we assemble and it does super good versus Fire creatures.

It just makes little sense, to me in my opinion, to have the Halberd not get the physical component.