Skip to content

Any way to make summons not attack locked doors and chests?

I have a henchman who can unlock things but the stupid animal companion and summon creature attack the door or chest until it's destroyed leaving me fighting enemies mostly alone and it's so frequent that so that while half a dozen clicks isn't much half a dozen per locked thing does end up as alot.

They also rush in crowding out my henchman from actually unlocking said door or chest as they are kinda fat.

Is there a mod I can download or something I can do?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Right click on your companion or summon and select Stand Your Ground.
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63

Right click on your companion or summon and select Stand Your Ground.

Not really a good solution lol. They shouldn't be trying to bash things in the first place that can and are being unlocked.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited November 2017
    Well-designed fan-made modules let you change this in conversation.

Otherwise, in Debug Mode, change the value of NW_ASSOCIATE_MASTER on the associate.

Read the current value using dm_dumplocals.

Subtract 512. Set the new value using dm_setvarint.

This fix will really screw things up if helping with locks is NOT set.

Why? Well, more precisely, this variable is a set of bit flags. The correct action is to set 0x00000200 off if it's on.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Incidentally, there is a converse problem. When you need to bash a chest, associates just stand there.

Start bashing, then use the radical menu command Attack Nearest. Associates will then help you bash.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, in fan mods you can select a dialogue option that says "Don't help me if I fail to open a locked door or chest."

When I play the OC, I can work around it by clicking "Follow". That calls them off attacking the object so you can get them away from Tomi or Sharwyn. Then I switch them back to "Attack" or "Guard Me" when I need to. The same procedure works to stop them from running off on their own and pulling more enemies.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited November 2017
    This is just one example of a very basic and easy update that I think that the OCs should be seeing. It's still very early and I have confidence that Beamdog will do the right thing here, but if they were to release the EE as it now, the OCs are likely going to be the first thing new and returning players (and reviewers) turn to. If they're not going to get the same uniform attention that the Infinity games have had, it definitely won't be a good first impression.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    For me, a question like this really speaks to the issue of just how much "micromanagement" of companions players really want to have to deal with. How many prefer pausing and giving individual orders, versus letting the companions do their own thing and hoping they act intelligently? Better control over party members is always a popular request, but what is actually meant by that? For me, I kind of like the sometimes stupid behavior of my companions, and not being able to possess or directly control their every action. It makes them seem like unique individuals with their own personalities, more real in a way, and not just pawns with no wills of their own. I don't mind having to yell at my dumbass henchman to stop charging through traps, or bashing everything because he thinks he's being helpful.

This doesn't mean that there's no room for better AI, of course, and as has been mentioned as well, module builders need to utilize the resources that already exist - setting flags on the henchman's behavior though conversation, for example. I personally utilize the instant Player Tool feats to give the player the ability to select individual companions and direct them to move to specific locations, interact with doors, traps, and placeables, and attack designated targets. I also use them for a "gather party" feature that summons them all to the player for those times they get stuck on bad pathfinding or otherwise wander off.

But I just want to cast my vote for the kind of "emergent" play that can happen when henchmen do dumb, unpredictable things, and the idea that this can simulate an adventure with memorable characters who have minds of their own, who are not merely mindless thralls, or even worse, lifeless, shallow game pieces.
  • mojoswager1980mojoswager1980 Member Posts: 9
    A companion will not attack a chest until you touch it and cannot open it . So it stands to reason if you give the order to your henchman instead of attempting it first yourself this would accomplish your goal. But consider your goal : you want to get into a locked/trapped chest . Since loot in the game is not pre-instanced in any chest except those connected to quest and the structural integrity does not affect the loot you recieve in anyway, Why are you opposed to the destruction of the chest ? Hell i slot spells for that purpose . Plus your henchman can fail, and typically this will only occur at the worste possible time, keep your distance if your putting your faith in him, one poorly timed chainlightning trap and your respawning or reloading . By the way, the hawk will not attack a chest ! i cant remeber ever seeing the spider attack one but im not sure maybe it does .....the summoned version is way better so i never play it as a companion. The bear is really only useful if you need a tank.....half the time the things just triggering every trap in the dungeon .