Skip to content

Some loose ends.

Chris_theVikingChris_theViking Member Posts: 49
edited November 2017 in Builders - Toolset
I would like to encourage the builders to make suggestions based on some unfinished or loose ends left over.

My loose end that has always bugged me is the highlighting of models don't scale while scaling. on my server we have small dragons(this is an example as we have many rescaled monsters). When a player highlights with the curser one of these models the highlighting is the original size. This issue is also present when these monsters are under a visual effect. be really nice for them to scale with the model.

Another issue under rescaling is that some categories of models behave oddly where they do not have any animations(they cruise around like erect statues), also the weapon nodes don't display weapons. So, some polish here would be nice.

Another suggestion that would be an easy one is that helmets are much to small and I would suggest increasing the size 20% or so.

Thanx's for bringing this back and I hope there will be a revival here. it saddens me to see my server empty most of the time but with this release I will certainly have a reason to hang out and do some local polish to my server. Perhaps explore the player tool slots.
FlashburnJuliusBorisov

Comments

• Chris_theVikingChris_theViking Member Posts: 49
    - setting on placeables to make them bring up the attack curser. there are some objects on my server that need to be attacked and it would be sweet if players didn't have to bring up the radial menu to bash them.
  • KarmaKarma Member Posts: 7
    Set faction on placeable or doors, this way if someone locks the door on a monster, they can actually attack/smash it down.
    Chris_theViking
    - the option to set scripted traps to be assigned and owner. We have a system where players can toss out "spring loaded" traps, the problem is awarding xp to the trap owner.
    - Increment spell uses. As it stands now we can take away spell uses via script but we cannot increment them.
  • OmegaaxisOmegaaxis Member Posts: 2
    Good news regarding the trap xp to owner problem, this is doable in nwn as is. To see it in action.. see the three towns PW.

Long story short, i redid the whole trap system there to make trappers actually functional.

The key of course is maintaining 'ownership' of the trap once set. What's actually happening when you set a trap is creating a small trigger on the ground to set off the event, the trigger is the actual killer, not the trapper, ergo the lack of xp and whatnot. To work around this, i had to do a multistep process.

1: have a custom XP reward system inherent, not use the default xp rewards. THis allows you to award xp as you normally would with a kill. Likewise for quest updates, and other on-kill events.

2: Use the onItemLost event (paraphrasing, was 4 years ago or so i did all this) to track when the trap exits the player's inventory. Note you cannot use stackable traps as using one from a stack is not the same as losing the item.

When the item exits the player's inventory, assign a local variable to the trap with the player/character name using the nearest trigger command. Note be sure to check if other triggers happen to be nearby. If so prevent the trap from setting. Don't want to assign player name to an area transition, that'd be silly.

3: Update on kill events to check if killer was a trigger, if so redirect reward to player's name stored on said trigger.

The traps themselves would need updating as well, generally they're too weak. To combat this i rewrote most of trap scripts to scale with 'trapper level' (calculation based on character classes chosen) and the set trap. Same idea as bardsong (level determines max, skill determines actual).

Cheerio
    edited November 2017
    highlighting a trigger produces a bad looking red blotch. The first workaround we thought of was to use a trigger instead of a trap, so the we had the trigger create that placeable no walk invisible object that can be highlighted pretty nicely to be a companion, the problem with that is it requires another system so the trap can be disabled, recovered or flagged, monsters tend to walk around it... it'd be much easier and less problematic to deal with to be able to assign an owner without reworking my xp engine and managing the trigger and companions placeable.
    *edited because previous version I came across agitated.
    This is jsut a dumb little grenade enhancement thsat is't a high priority for us but would be nice to be able to set up.

Post edited by Chris_theViking on
    RandomPerson