Skip to content

Why u download so slow beamdog!

The of the early acces platform is averaging at around 50-100kbs. Waaay slower than my internet connection is capable of.

Anyways. It's all love <3

Just have to vent my excitement somewhere while i wait. I'm loving what you're doing so far and can't wait to get involved in the best computer RPG platform ever created once again.

Comments

• ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Howdy!

If it's not something typical on your end, I would recommend posting in the tech-support https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/beamdog-client

Additionally, there is a Beamdog Redmine you can file bugs to specifically for the beamdog client, if it's client related, it'd be good to take a look at it.
  • CablefishCablefish Member Posts: 37
    Thanks. I just posted it there. I don't know if it's a bug or i'm missing a setting somewhere in the beamdog client. But thanks anyway :)
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I found that pausing the download for a few seconds and then starting it back up helped.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Mine downloaded at 1.4-1.9 mb/ps, but it still took a long time (about an hour and a half or two hours), since the premium version was around 10 gb.
    For some strange reason it's downloading really fast now. Now we're up to my usual 10 mb/s. I think maybe the servers we're just busy. No wonder that a lot of people are downloading now :)
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017
    I solved it this way:
    1. Started download.
    2. Had dinner.
    3. Enjoyed the game after dinner. :-)
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    same here, my usual download speed is around 12MB\s and beamdog client gave me 2-3 MB\s the most.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Most of you guys were lucky. My normal download speed is 1750 Kilobytes (approx 14 mb) per second or roughly 50 minutes for 4 gig. This means that it should have taken about an hour and 10 minutes. What I actually got was variable between 10 kilobytes a second and 1mb a second being most 350 kilobytes a second and it took about 3 and a half hours to download.

This was the non deluxe version.

TR
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Okay, who’s going to star The Four Yorkshiremen sketch with this? “Why, when I were a lad, we had it tough. Only a 56k modem ...”
    edited November 2017
    tbone1 said:

Okay, who’s going to star The Four Yorkshiremen sketch with this? “Why, when I were a lad, we had it tough. Only a 56k modem ...”

56k, eh? You were lucky. We had a 14.4k modem that worked only on weekdays beginning with b... ;-)
    edited November 2017
    14.4k Huh wen oi wurr a laad we only 'ad 2 tin cans 'an a piece of string an ma 'ad nowhere to 'ang t' washin'...

But seriously guys the download speed to get the headstart was no joke.

TR
    Actually, belated question for all of you. Did any of you set a download speed limit on your Beamdog Client?

You can check by clicking the cog in the bottom right corner, clicking "settings" and checking the drop-down box under "download speed limit".
    No I left it unlimited. I did have a look there. I also tried the suggestion found on here to close and reopen the client and I tried a trick that has worked with other sights of pausing and re-enabling. Nothing worked.

TR
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

14.4k Huh wen oi wurr a laad we only 'ad 2 tin cans 'an a piece of string an ma 'ad nowhere to 'ang t' washin'...

TR

Dry string? Luxury. We had to chisel out ones and zeroes on stone tables and use carrier mastodons lumbering back and forth between the server stone and our mud computer.

@TarotRedhand

If possible, could you file a bug to https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/beamdog-client-public-bugs ?

I'd suggest you also start up the Beamdog client, let it continue downloading for a few minutes, then:

1) Right-click on the 'cog' on the bottom right of the client
    2) Click 'Debug Torrents'
    3) Take a screenshot of as much of the displayed values, and attach it to the bug

Then

1) Right-click on the 'cog on the bottom right of the client
    2) Click 'Open Log Folder'
    3) Find your latest -bdx and latest -lib files, and attach them to the bug (you may need to put them in a .zip first)

I'll try to forward that to one of our client developers.

In the meantime, if you have another computer / machine that can download faster, you can copy the beamdog game ID folder (For non-deluxe install, it would be folder 00829) into the appropriate location on your machine via flash-drive.

Then (with the appropriate game selected) in the Client, select
    1) Options --> Uninstall
    2) Install --> Find Existing Game --> Navigate to said folder
    3) You may need to 'verify' game afterwards.

I'd suggest backing up your currently downloaded 00829 folder, just in case something goes wrong, so you don't lose any progress.
    Thanks for the help. However it was only a problem for one evening (making it a likely problem at my or your ISP) and i've shifted my focus on to world building. I'm perfectly happy with the product and was even before i posted the post. Sorry if i've taken your time from doing other things!
    tbone1 said:

Dry string? Luxury. We had to chisel out ones and zeroes on stone tables and use carrier mastodons lumbering back and forth between the server stone and our mud computer.

Right. But you try and tell the young people of today that... They won't believe ya.

• MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    tbone1 said:

TR

You had a chisel? Oh, what we would have done for a chisel. We had to use clean bones for 0s and bones with meat still on 'em for 1s and we was always crashing because the dogs would get into the 1s and make 'em 0s.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Malclave said:

tbone1 said:

TR

You had a chisel? Oh, what we would have done for a chisel. We had to use clean bones for 0s and bones with meat still on 'em for 1s and we was always crashing because the dogs would get into the 1s and make 'em 0s.
    Only 0s and 1s?? LUXURY! We still used the digital system so we had to work with ten ... that's right, TEN ... different types of bones with varying amounts of flesh still on them! And the dogs were bad but don't get me started on the bugs trying to get at the rotting meat!