Skip to content

Request - Client Specific Visual Effects - Something I requested long ao

I always wanted client specific visual effects. What do I mean by this? I mean visual effects that are ONLY visible to a specific player. So in multiplayer, one person sees it and the other does not.

Why did I want this?

1) Things like tracking, or smell, or other thing that you only want one player to see.
2) Things like illusions that those that fail their save see, but other people do not.
3) Things like insanity.
4) Things like players that have visions or some other thing.
5) Things like seeing the auras of other players.
6) Things like seeing vast RIFTS style ley lines, and mana nodes that other people don't see.
7) Things like detect evil, detect good, detect magic being able to show things to some players that the others don't see.

This was something I requested back in the Bioware days, and I actually worked with Bioware on The Wyvern Crown of Cormyr and on the official 1.69 patch. I know back then they didn't think this would be very easy to pull off, but I figure why not throw it out there for Beamdog and see what they think.

Comments

• thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2017
    I'm all about client-specific visuals! You could sorta handle some of this with a combination of old and new, if it doesn't go in the base game -- 1.69 had an nwnx plugin (nwnx_visibility) that could override object visibility per-player. When you combine that functionality with script-exposed shaders (soon? :P) and chat plugins, you can completely change player perceptions. Special visual modes or distortions with script-triggered shaders, hallucinations, typing "Hey guys!" and seeing that on your screen, but other players hear, "The stone will crumble as the frost melts" or cryptic gibberish... etc.

Just supporting the general idea but also feeling pretty good about it being still being achievable if it doesn't hit base game. :)
  • dwinblooddwinblood Member Posts: 38

typing "Hey guys!" and seeing that on your screen, but other players hear, "The stone will crumble as the frost melts" or cryptic gibberish... etc.

Yeah I did that in the past by listening to the player, but for it to really work players had to spam the DM channel so people couldn't see it.

I am all for NWNX other than I need to investigate how viable it is for stand alone modules. I realize it's value in PWs and such, but I would like to add the features as something downloadable for people.

Do we have an official site for Enhanced Edition modules? I just added an updated one to Neverwintervault.org last week.