Skip to content

This is what happens when a game is not as good as people hoped and gamers completely lose the plot

unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7ilzbe/ea_has_taken_a_lot_of_stick_lately_and_deservedly/

This person described the publishers of games as "atrocities".

Yes, gamers have devalued a word which is frequently uttered in the same breath as war crimes, and slavery, and the mass murder of innocent defenseless people. Think of the best and most generous person in the world: an atrocity would be the complete opposite of that person. Think of that bible story where jesus fed a few thosand hungry people, and imagine if jesus skinned those hungry people alive, ate their flesh and mounted all their heads on a field of spikes.

That is the definition of atrocity. Not some fucking publishers who are at worst a little bit too money grubbing. Atrocity is a 9 or a 10 on the scale of bad things in this world. Nothing gaming related should even register on the scale of bad things in this world.

I have mixed feelings of amusement, shame and outrage about this misuse of the English language.

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Obv none of those things are atrocities, but they are pretty bad as far as game design goes.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    TBH, the word atrocity does not automatically imply war crimes and slavery. I can say someone's cooking is atrocious, but I'm not suggesting the person who cooked it is the same as a war criminal. Context is important.
    Balrog99MERLANCEscriver
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Okay.
    Artona
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i just looked up the definition of atrocity on google, and this is what it gives me:

an extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury

so based on what that reddit post said, it does not seem to involve physical violence or injury, but for this user, the fact that he/she has to pay more money than desired every single time they play a new game could be cause for a wicked or cruel act, although it's hard to say if it's extreme

worse case scenario just don't play games that come with mediocre gameplay/DLC but i guess it's hard to know that with a new game, and i suppose there are people out there who aren't like me and want to play all the new and "exciting" looking game just to get let down

so perhaps, there is some justice for this user to use the word atrocity as i've spent perhaps 50 or so bucks for the BGEE series and being going strong for 5 years, while this user spends 100s and 100s of dollar on each new game because of DLC and the such?
    FinneousPJThacoBell
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I perso just really like hyperbole as a style device, whether in form of profound exaggeration or understatement.

So good on the reddit OP - but I also like that the OP here actually cares, because being fascinated, vexed or moved by language is inexhaustible source of emotion. So good on u, unavailable! :smile:

"Monstrosity" would have been the world I'd had employed, thou, had I been the reddit OP.

But I've worded my profound disappointment of, say, DO:I lack of basic M&KB functionalities and MMO-style mushroom husbandry grindfest in a more vitriolic way, I fear, such as "urinating blatantly into eyes of long-standing PC fans with this console port of an interface. I have my doubts if anyone from BW did actually play this through even once with M&KB!??" (or such like ungenerous rants)

With Skyrim, it felt like a superbly depressing trend to me, and my bleeding heart is actually after all this time still yet to heal, and I've lost my previous trust with BW & Bethesda sadly, but I think not unreasonably.

I understand the frustration of gaming fans for what seem very cynical publication decisions, where fool us twice, shame on us maybe - but where the balance of power just feels frustratingly asymmetrical. I feel we can be ripped off and fooled, because we just yearn for new games to love. I even think gaming studios know what fans want, but don't necessarily care, if it is more profitable to cut the corners.

Thank goodness for KickStarter.

As well as returning some classic IP to movers and shakers like Beamdog, whom sadly have also suffered some of this vitriol because the fans have felt such rigid ownership of the lore - there I do not think it is strictly a matter of quality, but a matter of control and build-up of expectations, and at times quite unfair.

Be it only 5% chance we might get new BG-universe saga, or maybe new NWN content with the class-system I still pine for - to me, even a small chance is indefinitely better than none.