Skip to content

most zones are empty. sort of.

I've decided long ago to make bg1 to TOB run with single save that I'm still playing.

Currently being the completionist that I am, I travel around and it's just empty.

Most areas have nothing at all in them beside some random single encounter or minor boring quest with no dialog of importance at all.

Thing is the areas which have those hidden gems are quite infrequent.

Example:

there is coastline area with some sirnes., they are quite easy to kill but they go invisible and use confusion powers on your group.
Took me some time to understand best thing is send buffed minsc and use berserk power on him while he solod the entire group.

Bit forward you arrive to the main area where you kill the queen and there is a cave there which in it some fun mobs to fight and +1 con tome.

If I would have stuck with the main road and main cities I wouldn't have found that place.
But there is so much empty nothingness in between it is quite boring.

To compare,
on PS:T while playing there was always something interesting going around always some kind of surprise or npc to speak with.
It was also a blast due to the fact that random generic npcs had unique diloags most of the time which made me want to speak with them.
Coming back later those random nameless (pun intended) npcs helped me to solve some quests I was on.

So in general I really hope SOD and BG2\TOB is much more packed with content over this one.

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    But it's all so pretty.

I think you either like the wandering with random encounters or you don't and not much can be done about that.
    There is more content in BG2 and there are no wilderness areas.
    Which for me makes BG2 less of an RPG than I would like it to be.

I would suggest that you install the NPC Project mod for BG, increases the dialog a lot between NPC and even possible romances. It's really good, seamless IMO with the original game.

Also, if you find the fights too easy, bump up the difficulty. It makes a lot of difference to whether things are boring having to limp back to a temple with very low HP hoping you aren't going to be ambushed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah BG1 has a lot of exploration and wandering to find hidden things. Its great on first playthroughs, but it quickly becomes a slog. BG2 is much more focused with content and there is more to do, at the expense of not much to explore.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156

Also, if you find the fights too easy, bump up the difficulty. It makes a lot of difference to whether things are boring having to limp back to a temple with very low HP hoping you aren't going to be ambushed.

they are not easy, just complex in the fact there are 50 types of rocks, papers and scissors.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I do enjoy the exploration and the feel that you're actually wandering the wilderness (which obviously isn't going to contain back to back excitement any more you'd normally expect from wandering in the woods), but generally I just keep Gamebanshee handy for BG1 nowdays, just so I can beeline straight through the content without having to scour my brains or neurotically 100% explore every area (which I definitely used to do) to make sure I don't miss anything important.