Skip to content

Share some of your quirks for story, OCD or aesthetic purpose

I use darts because I like how mages look empty handed. Mechanically, I would love to use a sling instead for less inventory management and increased range but I hate how they look. I always end up just filling my mage's inventory with darts and my rabbit familiar. I cannot fathom how much my familiar hates being in my pack.

I really want to play invoker because I'd like a "black mage" run, but that would mean making a human mage which means.... beards.

I play exclusively mages but haven't dual'd or multi'd because I don't want to give up the spiffy robes. I am so mad that there isn't a pointy hat for mages in this game. I could have stored my rabbit familiar in there!

I've picked up Garrick for my last three playthroughs because I listen to music while playing and it wouldn't feel right without a bard.

Anyone else care to share and make me feel less crazy?

Comments

• LuisTsuranamiLuisTsuranami Member Posts: 10
    haha let me try

I use knife to my mages because i like to pretend my mage holding wand, if i roleplay i never give them ranged weapon. Since i play with scs hopefully it will not bite me later.

If i play as half elf or elf, i will make imoen use half elf avatar. I imagine imoen as slender girl so his human avatar who is bigger than my half elf is a big no no. I also hate the human mage avatar with beard so half elf all the way.

Recently play as Fighter/Thief with dual wield Short sword and dagger cause its look cool but that thunderhammer something sell dagger of venom with exorbitant price, why i must buy those dagger when i can easily buy normal dagger and smear it with poison......dammit game

that was a few thing pop up in my head now, as a role player there is actually many thing that bother me but that will make a list
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @irving15 If you like pointy hats and play a human mage you'll like the MSFM mod.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/18108/mod-more-style-for-mages-v1-55/p1
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I always play Elves, because while I'm inevitably going to give them a multiclass mage kit anyway, playing a gnome is still powergaming shenanigans.

I always switch my male characters' paperdolls to the Thief paperdoll, because helmets are ugly, and Elven thieves get trousers. Elven Mages would be my goto for the snazzy cape, but again, helmets.

I always play Chaotic Good or Neutral, because I cannot fathom how any remotely sane, lawful person would willingly become a hobo wandering the wilderness in search of other peoples' stuff. Getting a kitty is a sweet bonus.

I have serious trouble making a character that isn't a Mage/Cleric or a Mage/Thief, because I'm gimping myself. I sometimes try playing bard, but they're just so bad compared to a Mage/Thief that it hurts.

I suffer from acute Main Character syndrome, where CHARNAME gets all the prime goodies and generally does everything themselves. Particularly with a Mage/Thief. No it doesn't matter that there's people already in the party better at it, CHARNAME has got this guys.

I also have severe trouble choosing between the two, so sometimes I have to play twins (which means I can play Cleric/Ranger and Mage/Thief).

I once had a CHARNAME whose mission was to locate one of every book in the game to create the second library of Candlekeep. Loot management was interesting that game.

I sometimes do not buy twenty flesh to stone scrolls, steal Algernon's Cloak and petrify spam a Greater Basilisk to hit the level cap within five minutes of starting the game and actually follow the plot instead.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    For some reason I really like AJantis. No party is complete without him. I think it's partially because I wandered up to the farm area on my first play through and I was so surprised to find him there before we were all murdered by ankegs. Always been partial to paladins.

I too have real trouble playing evil as evil is intended to be. I modded a game to disallow evil NPCs from leaving, and just went about the game taking whatever evil option was available for quests, but rarely murdered people on the road; to see what the characters were like, it was fun, but I still didn't make it through BG2 on a full evil run.

I think it's partially because I like the characters and the world too much. It's always easier to be evil when people make you mad lol.

I too did a "library" run once, and read, in as far as I could find, all of the lore books - it was a nice diversion.

I can't bring myself to separate paired characters unless one of them dies legitimately.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always play either Halfling or Half-Orc. I can never bring myself to play evil or neutral. I always play a bard, as I feel I am gimping myself playing anything else, except maybe a triple class multiclass. Splitting up paired npcs feels wrong. I never donate to the church to raise my rep, as my actions should reflect on who I am. Imoen NEVER leaves the party, she and charname are always besties.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I always go for human - warrior, mage or thief, evil or chaotic neutral. I have slight obsession over continuity, so I have to have Imoen in my party and do at least some quests with all the people I meet in SoD and SoA.
    Also - I never ever raise people, so if even one person dies I reload.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm a lackluster roleplayer: when I enter a building in a city and I loot the chests, I won't do so with the paladin in my party, but with the thief. However, I hardly ever take the trouble of not entering the building with the whole party, I just pretend the paladin is looking another way when my thief pillages the chest.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    one of my favourite classes is the berserker, so much good stuff for virtually no weaknesses, i switch between 3 races; gnerms, dwarves, and the half-orc, if i use the gnerm or dwarf i will go one handed weapon and board aiming for amazing AC and saves, but if im a half-orc i have to go with two handed sword, every since i first played this game back in the 90s i loved the two handed sword, and to this day i still love two handed swords, although in ToB i start switching over to halberd so then i can use the ravanager +6

every once in a while i will play a monk, and when i do, i ALWAYS change my sprite to the jon irenicus sprite, and interestingly enough, jon irenicus actually has attack animations, and i think the jon irenicus sprite works so well with the monk class in terms of attacks and just straight up appearance

when it comes to team composition no matter how it's built i ALWAYS structure it this way:
    3 peeps in melee
    a cleric type using a sling
    a thief type using a bow
    a mage type using throwing dagger ( or super hyper rarely, perhaps even throwing axe )

ever since i've played this game back in the 90s i have always built my team this way, and in that order, so the "cleric" is ALWAYS character 4, the "thief" is ALWAYS character 5, and the "mage" is ALWAYS character 6, i use parenthesis here because sometimes i will have some fighter/thieves or fighter/clerics going in melee as well

when it comes to paladins, i ALWAYS play a cavalier, lets see; a million advantages and whats the disadvantage? no missile weapons? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, now with that being said, i NEVER play an inquisitor because if i would, why not just bring keldorn along? ( used him many many times) i played an undead hunter once, and in the beginning it seemed cool but the further i got into SoA the undead hunter started feeling weaker and weaker, so i just stick with Cavalier whenever i play one

alignment, 90% of the time ( maybe even 97.5% of the time ) i am good alignment for a few reasons:
    - gold piece runs (for BG1) having that 20 REP is mandatory
    - only good alignment can wield twinkle +5 and i dont want to waste a helmet slot for helm of opposite alignment
    - it is very convenient to be good because it is so easy to get reputation and keeping those good/neutral aligned companions
    but with that being said,perhaps if i do a solo run or just for the lulz, i will do an evil playthrough just so i can use the evil NPCs or be immune to holy smite ( which is nice ) plus in ToB if you are evil you can make a deal with the devils in watcher's keep
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    edited December 2017
    1. I always view my Paladin MC as finessing her greatsword.

2. Finally, I'm ending on my current run if I ever get her started. She's chaotic neutral, and constantly feels torn between her heritage (one reason she starts with daggers) and trying to bring the good to the world that gorion believes in. The only times she finds calm is when she's in the middle of combat, or when she's able to get some time alone with her cat familiar. Expect a full biography coming after I finally nail that 96+ roll and dump her in the no reload thread.
    Post edited by Dragonspear on