Skip to content

Has the Save Game Location Changed?

I just reinstalled BGEE and BG2EE v2.3.67.3 today using Steam, and my save game folder locations seem to have changed. Instead of the normal save game folder locations inside of my Documents folder, my BGEE and BG2EE saves are now being stored at C:\save, and my SoD saves are being stored at C:\sodsave.

Is this something new, perhaps in preparation for the upcoming v2.5 update, or have my steam installs today gone horribly wrong?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2017
    They should still be found in my documents
    Post edited by elminster on
  • TorvaldTorvald Member Posts: 19
    elminster,

Thank you for responding. Something has apparently gone wrong with my BGEE and BG2EE installs. I did tell steam to install them in my C:\games folder where my other steam games are installed, but that should not have caused a problem. Will delete both BGEE and BG2EE and try reinstalling them again. Wish me good luck!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2017
    Torvald said:

elminster,

Thank you for responding. Something has apparently gone wrong with my BGEE and BG2EE installs. I did tell steam to install them in my C:\games folder where my other steam games are installed, but that should not have caused a problem. Will delete both BGEE and BG2EE and try reinstalling them again. Wish me good luck!

Let me know how it turns out. Are you sure these aren't just older saves you cut and pasted to there at some point during a previous installation? The folders you find in My Documents normally typically would have other folders as well (not just save files).
  • TorvaldTorvald Member Posts: 19
    Good News! I just figured out what was stopping BGEE and BG2EE from creating folders in my Documents folder when installing the game, and have successfully fixed the problem. My save game files are now properly going to the correct save folders in the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folders in My Documents.

The previous problem was caused by a new anti-ransomware feature that comes with Windows 10 version 1709. If you go into the Windows Defender Security Center and turn on "Controlled Folder Access", it will block suspicious programs from making any changes to your Documents folder. For some reason, it appears that Windows 10 views Steam, BGEE and BG2EE as suspicious programs, so was blocking the creation of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folders in My Documents folder. This was then preventing the games from placing a baldur.lua file there, as well as not creating save game subfolders there.

Once I changed the "Controlled Folder Access" toggle back to OFF, both games installed 100% okay.
    elminsterbleusteelAerakar