Skip to content

Anybody doing any table top RPGs right now?

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
It's been like 17 years since I did any table top gaming, but I recently started running an old school White Wolf game. I'm using the 20th Anniversary Dark Ages rules. Starting everyone off as mortals in Halicarnassus in 401BCE, and have just started introducing them to vampires and ran a few sessions just to set the scene of the Greek city in the Persian empire.

I had forgotten how much fun you could have by just going along with the dice rolls. The group got jumped by a press gang, and the follower of Ares PC winds up botching and falling off the dock, so the other PC had a slave abducted and has his purse snatched. They must've spent an hour afterwards chasing after that tangent, which wasn't even related to the main story. It was supposed to just be an easy first combat with some enemies using non-lethal weapons.

I've introduced them to the vampires I intend to eventually have as their sires. The follower of Ares is probably going to get embraced by the Ventrue, and the smooth talker megalomaniac is being targeted by the Malkavian. The plan is to send them off on the Anabasis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon) as their big test to prove themselves worthy. They're just about to the point where I'm going to have Cyrus the younger issue the call for troops to join him to put down the Pisidians, which is a front for him making a play against his brother Artexerxes and attempt to take the throne. The way I'm running things, most of the other vampire clans are backing Cyrus, but the Lasombra are backing Artaxerxes via Tissaphernes.

The other ideas I've had kicking around in my head for awhile are for running a Dark Sun D&D game. I could do either some good or evil stories, so long as the group was all one or the other. I remember too many sessions as a kid, where on person had to play evil in a good group, and it just would descend into everyone fighting. Evil's probably more fun, have them escape from the gladiator pits, take over a group of bandits and conduct raids, maybe eventually have them start working for a sorcerer king. I know the get out of the arena is such an over used starting situation, but it just feels so Dark Sun, and a good intro to the setting.

If I do get the Dark Sun game going, I'll probably ret-con all the Prism Pentad stuff. That was a world that was healing by the end of it, and I want the bleak setting of the original Dark Sun. No free cities, the Dragon roams the wastes, and no improvement in sight for a dying world. Figuring out the edition to do it in is something else I can't decide on. It was originally a 2nd Ed setting. They did do a 4th Ed release of it, but I really don't like what I see there. 2nd Ed was the only version I actually played table top, so there's a plus for that, as well as the source material being set there. I also do kind of like some of the class mechanics, like race restrictions and classes leveling at different rates. The problem is, it's 2nd ed with Thac0 and it's proficiency systems and obtuse bonuses from stats. I never played 3rd ed, but think I could pick it up easily enough, just from having played enough of the NWN games. But that means reworking a lot of stuff from the setting to it. I'm not particularly liking some of the stuff I'm hearing about 5th ed, either.

So anybody else got any games they're running right now?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm currently running a Forgotten Realms 5e campaign. The party has just left Cormyr on a gnome airship.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Fardragon said:

I'm currently running a Forgotten Realms 5e campaign. The party has just left Cormyr on a gnome airship.

How do like that as a ruleset compared to 2nd and 3rd ed?