Skip to content

SCS + Mods + Big World Fixpack = Confused. :(

Hey everyone.

So I am a big dummy and can't figure out how to mod the game properly. I started off by wanting to install SCS, but an Initialise Error led me to a thread talking about Big World Fixpack. Downloaded that and got another error as it couldn't find some mod folder and then aborted installation.

I'd really just like to know what the suggested way to mod and add all the quality content + SCS tweaks is now. I can't seem to figure it out. Is there something I'm missing with the Big World install tool? Is there some updated way to do it, or some updated version/program I need? I am in the 2.5 beta and using a Steam copy of the EE. Thanks,

Fluent

Comments

• FluentFluent Member Posts: 74
    I figured it out. Uninstalled/reinstalled BG:EE and reinstalled Big World setup and it worked this time. Yeehaw. :smile:
    None of the mods are showing up in game. No portraits or anything. I started a new game w/ the "Recommended" package from the Big World setup tool, which includes portraits, etc.. Any idea why these aren't showing up and/or why the mods don't seem to be activated despite installing them?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    edited December 2017
    Do you only have a single copy of the game on your computer? The reason I ask is that not only can you have multiple versions on your computer (as I do with different mod setups), but you can also play BGEE through both BGEE and SoD - so it would be quite possible to mod one version of the game, but then start a new game using another version.

You could check that by:
    1) Navigating to the modded folder (unless you've changed that it will have a number like 00766) - you should see a weidu.log file in that showing the mod changes you've made.
    2) Above that modded folder in the hierarchy there should be a 'data' folder and above that a folder with the exe file for the modded game. Use that file to start a new game to check that the mods are working properly.
    Hey Grond0,

Yes, only one copy installed (Steam version, 2.5 beta.) I think I figured it out, though. I had to copy the .bmp's in the override folder to the portraits folder found in Documents, and they show up now. The other mods appear to be working, too, although I haven't progressed enough to find out for sure. Is there a way to check to see if they are installed and working correctly, sort of like a Nexus Mod Manager type thing or something?

Thanks for the help!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    You can see if they're installed by looking at the weidu.log file - that shows all individual components installed for each mod. As for whether everything is working properly you probably need to play the game - normally if there's a major issue a mod just won't install, but it is possible for there to be conflicts between individual installed mods.
    edited December 2017
    Thanks Grond0! That worked. I just wonder how to customize SCS more deeply when it's installed with Big World. Do you know the procedure to do that by any chance?

Edit - I ended up reinstalling and paying close attention in Big World setup to the choices all at once, then installing. Good to go now! Can't wait to start my Let's Play of a Gnome Illusionist/Thief on Hard + SCS. :smile: Not even a Baldur's Gate Pro Fan either. :smile:
    Post edited by Fluent on