Skip to content

+1 Books - spread the love or pimp myself for BG2?

ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I remember giving these books to party members who needed them instead of my character. Then I regretted it when BG2 came out and I imported my character.
So is it best to use them on my char even if the benefit isn't great?
Post edited by ginger_hammer on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It depends on how particular you are. If you use BGT, changes made to (most) party members will stick through to BG2. Otherwise you can just use the books on other members, make a note of what stats you increased and then use an editor to set things straight after the import.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I would say it depends on your characters class.

Your fighter type characters will almost definitely want the str, dex and con tomes. If you're something like a mage however, boosting your con up past 16 or your dex past 18 will have little to no affect on your character itself. Going up to 19 int with a mage though will allow you to memorize every spell in a level without chugging potions of genius, and increasing your wisdom means that you get better options with your wish and limited wish spells later in BG2.

I believe I outlined in another thread as well where a good cleric or druid can complete the entire saga with a staggering 23 wisdom out of a possible 25.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    For the physical stats, I would say without a doubt use the strength, dexterity and constitution ones on yourself regardless of class. It's hard to argue with better carry capacity, ranged thac0 and potential HP (warrior classes) or as a safety net for...
    when you lose a stat permanently when you unlock the Slayer skill.

I would also say you should always use the charisma tome on yourself. It doesn't even benefit any of the NPCs.

The mental stats, eh. Really depends. Obviously if you're a wizard you'll want to use the INT tome on yourself and if you're a cleric or druid, you'll want the wisdom tomes. But for other people:

-Do you care about Lore, and if so would increasing Int by 1/Wisdom by 3 affect it anyway? If you have 9 or 14 int, you should use the INT book on yourself to remove the penalty/give you +5 lore. 7/12 wisdom respectively for that stat.

-How close are you to equipping Valygar or Keldorn's personal gear? If you have 18 dexterity and 11 wisdom, you can don Valygar's leather armor. It's a godsend on any multi-class mage or a bard because it allows you to use spellcasting through it and unlike every other armor which does the same, it comes with neat bonuses. Keldorn's armor is significantly less awesome but it's still a good, free piece of full plate with additional bonuses that you can get easily. You need 15 str, 17 con, 12 Int and 18 Cha to use it. If only it were worthy of needing such absurdly high stats.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited September 2012
    @Ginger_Hammer If you're using Imoen, Jaheria and Minsc in BG1, (which means you're taking Kahlid and Dynaheir by default too) it is absolutely better to give the books to the party members who rejoin you in BG2.

But if you're playing Vanilla BG1, it is better to shadowkeeper Immy, Jaheria and Minsc to have the same stats that they posess in BG2 from the start if you do so.

The theory being if you can kill Sarevok without losing a party member, the improved stats will carry over when you import a session, and you'll get the bonuses from the Tomes.

Why is this better? Well there are many items which increase strength in BG2, so by giving Minsc the Strength tome, he gets buffed to 19 Strength and no longer needs strength buffing items during BG2.

If you buff Jaheria's DEX and CON after changing her stats to BG2 stats then she's going to be a great tank, not just an OK one. She becomes a lot more useful honestly, and balanced as a character. (Because her fighter side sees returns)

And if you buff Imoen's INT to 18 she gets maximum spell memorization when she becomes a mage.

No matter what happens to you in BG2, this keeps for a much stronger party, if you pick up Keldorn for example, now he can have a strength boosting item since Minsc won't need one to get over 18 Strength, and you'll still be able to pursue Crom Faeyr without losing too many items. (Which could give anyone else in the party 25 Strength!)

Also, this doesn't lead to cheese if you're playing on Insane. Sarevok is no cakewalk on that setting even with a party with stats like I've described and maxed out in level for BG1...in fact if anything it lets your party compete just enough that smart playing will see you through, but it won't be easy either way.
    Post edited by Debaser on
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2012
    It really depends on class and stats of CHARNAME. There's some stats are next to useless for certain classes, like WIS and INT on a fighter. Also, there's +1 stat increases that don't do anything at all. Most bonusses from high stats only start at 14. Check the tables in the manual. The difference between 10 and 11 is nil for instance for all stats except chance of learning spell for INT (but you wouldn't have a mage with 10, would you?) and chance of spell failure for WIS (but you wouldn't have a priest with 10 WIS, would you?). Better resurection survival for CON wasn't implemented.

You should look at the stat tables before deciding whom to use the tomb on, if you want to know the effect it has and than decide who benefits from it. If there's no benefit for CHARNAME, the most beneficial is to give it to a character who does benefit.

For instance, if I play a Fighter class, I give WIS tomes to Branwen as adding to her WIS adds to the number of spells she can cast, thus helping CHARNAME in combat, which adds to CHARNAME's survivability and the xp he gathers. So in some situations, your main character is most helped by the tome by letting someone else use it.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Thanks for all the comments they are really helpfull, I never realised stats on minsc and main NPCs carry on to BG2 - have I understood that correctly?

@Debaser - thanks although I think I'm going with an evil party this time as went good the original time.

@Son_of_Imoen - yep will have to bring up those old tables I remember from ages ago - forgot how great the whole character creation is while thinking of party composition.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2012
    If only I had given Khalid that CON book! Then he might have survived... *sob*
    @ginger_hammer you are very welcome, and to clarify they carry on, SORT OF. It's more like you have to keep track with Shadowkeeper and a notebook to get them precise. But they SHOULD carry on, so, if you manually adjust it so that they do, with the cannon party, as I mentioned before, it's better to spread the love around (especially to boost Minsc to 19 Strength and Imoen to 18 Int)

If you take the time to adjust stats in BG1 they will carry on if you beat the game without a death in the party. If not...you will have to adjust them.

(This goes double for Imoens Thieving skills which get really weird from Vanilla BG1 to BG2.)

If going Evil, it's probably best to think about Viconia and Edwin...Boost them, keep track of your boosts and adjust them both in BG2 since their stats will change a bit. This way they get a bit of an extra boost. But you really don't need more than 18 Int so I'm not sure what you'd want to give to Edwin.

Otherwise it's better to really be selfish I suppose. =P
    Excuse my ignorance but what is shadowkeeper? Thanks for the tips for evil party creation, im looking forwards to getting a new group together ;-) I think im going to be selfish and use all tombs on my character so i can take them all with me!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @ginger_hammer

Shadowkeeper is a program that you could use to edit your BG1 or BG2 save files.
    Sorry the title should read "or" not "of". Yes i was at work and wrote it quickly before minimising as the boss walked round ;-)
    @ginger_hammer you can edit things in a totally cheesy way with it...but I just use it to make sure my stats stay consistent and the boosts in BG2 are added on / in place after importing. Mainly because I tend to max out my XP in BG1 and I like being in control of thief skill points, but also because some of the NPC's get stat boosts if you don't import but somehow miss out on them if you do. Which I think is unfair.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Tanthalas said:

@ginger_hammer

Shadowkeeper is a program that you could use to edit your BG1 or BG2 save files.

Just to expand on this a little bit, you can use Shadowkeeper to open your saved game file, when you do that there is a tab for each of your party members that you can make changes to. So if for some reason you gave Minsc 3 WIS tomes in the first game you could once you started playing BG2 just edit his ability score in Shadowkeeper from 7 to 10.
    Ah ok i see thanks. I wonder when they redo BG2 that the whole import process will be fixed up?
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69

Keldorn's armor is significantly less awesome but it's still a good, free piece of full plate with additional bonuses that you can get easily. You need 15 str, 17 con, 12 Int and 18 Cha to use it. If only it were worthy of needing such absurdly high stats.

It's not less awesome if you're a monk. It sets your ac to your level 18 ac, while giving you fun bonuses that won't interfere with any monk powers. What else will you wear, anyway?

@ginger_hammer I just officially requested in the requesting forum that they explain how they intend for game transfers to work between both games. If they don't fix it I will hope for a character editor to keep things copacetic like Shadowkeeper used to work.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Zaor said:

It's not less awesome if you're a monk. It sets your ac to your level 18 ac, while giving you fun bonuses that won't interfere with any monk powers. What else will you wear, anyway?

Oh my gosh, I forgot they could equip it. Good call, man. I need to go do some editing right now.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Zaor said:

Keldorn's armor is significantly less awesome but it's still a good, free piece of full plate with additional bonuses that you can get easily. You need 15 str, 17 con, 12 Int and 18 Cha to use it. If only it were worthy of needing such absurdly high stats.

Don't be surprised if that doesn't end up being the case in BG2:EE. Rumor has it @Nathan feeds on devouring bug exploits...
    @Debaser Thanks for logging that request, hopefully the process of character import between games is simplified/clarified so we can build characters at the start without having regrets later on!
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    I prefer to maintain party balance when playing BG1, so I'll share the tomes. If I import to BG2, I'll just change my stats as if I gave myself all of them. Best of both worlds says I.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    Since my next playthrough will be a battle cleric with 16 con, I will keep each tome except int and con
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    Aosaw said:

Zaor said:

Don't be surprised if that doesn't end up being the case in BG2:EE. Rumor has it @Nathan feeds on devouring bug exploits...
    It doesn't work in my version anyway thanks to all the mods I slap on. ;)
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I always take the tomes for myself. I'm too greedy to give them out to party members. :P
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    I give everything to CHARNAME, except for the 3 Wisdom books, which I give to the designated cleric.
    This time around that cleric is Viconia, so I hope they're gonna consider this improvement, when they adjust her stats in BG2.
    And if they don't, I'm gonna do it manually.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421

I give everything to CHARNAME, except for the 3 Wisdom books, which I give to the designated cleric.
    This time around that cleric is Viconia, so I hope they're gonna consider this improvement, when they adjust her stats in BG2.

They already do, her wisdom goes from 15 in BG1 to 18 in BG2.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

@Debaser Thanks for logging that request, hopefully the process of character import between games is simplified/clarified so we can build characters at the start without having regrets later on!

Hello Sir,

Watch the fact that they are discussing of Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT), a mod where you characters follow you during the three games.

In current Bg1 & Bg2 behaviour, it is not possible for your companions to follow you !
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    MERLANCE said:

They already do, her wisdom goes from 15 in BG1 to 18 in BG2.

But you won't gain the +1 +2 +3 +4 free level spell if you do not boost them in the first game.
  • fpc1fpc1 Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2012
    Use all the tomes on your main character. Thank me later.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Personally I dislike having to edit games with third-party software, so I generally give all of the tomes to the main character. Everyone plays differently, and my dislike of editing leads me to this choice. You can get some minor benefits from higher Int/Wis even as a fighter/thief type, such as increased Lore or - apparently - the chance to withstand more illithid attacks. Also, if you like to take a RP perspective of your character, I enjoy playing smarter characters.
  • HugoRuneHugoRune Member Posts: 47
    If my main character can get some tangible benefit from a tome he gets it, if not, it goes to the party member who can use it the most. For example, in my last playthrough, I had a fighter/mage multiclass who was strictly a melee fighter (wanted to dual longswords and therefore didn't have any proficiencies left for a ranged weapon). He got the Str, Con, Int and Cha tomes. The Dex tome didn't give him any benefit because his Dex was at 18 already, so it went to Coran; the Wis tomes all went to Branwen.